Check out the future of the 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
For years, we have struggled with our software, and sadly, you, our members have suffered for it. I know, with the update last year, the 405th probably FEELS better than it did before, but the fact is, the software we use to run our sites, including this one, the RPF and the Dented Helmet has fallen far behind the times and while new software isn't a cure-all, it certainly is a step in the right direction. One of our sister sites, Predatorium was even in worse shape than the 405th because it was on yet another platform that was equally frustrating, but we have just migrated it over to a fantastic new software that is simply the cats meow. Why? It is much more simple. It supports mobile and desktop WITHOUT the need for add-on software (no more lame Tapatalk!) Uploads are simple and straight forward. Communication and notifications are better... the list just goes on and on.

Anyway, take a moment to go and check out Predatorium, which is running the new software. With any luck, we will have the 405th converted to this software sometime in April-May. Right now, the only issue we are having to work out is how to move the file archive from one platform to the other.

As long as it's functionally similar, I'm not sure you'll have complaints from the general users. People don't tend to enjoy having to re-learn the wheel, though from what I see on Predatorium, things shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to.

I look forward to seeing what's on offer!

Upvote 0
Sweet! I'm a freelance web dev myself, and definitely understand how supporting outdated software sucks!

Upvote 0
As long as it's functionally similar, I'm not sure you'll have complaints from the general users. People don't tend to enjoy having to re-learn the wheel, though from what I see on Predatorium, things shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to.

I look forward to seeing what's on offer!

Functionality is more or less the same (almost all forums are essentially the same in their basic operation), but the way in which that functionality is provided is MUCH better via the new software.

Upvote 0
Functionality is more or less the same (almost all forums are essentially the same in their basic operation), but the way in which that functionality is provided is MUCH better via the new software.

I was referring to the way things are done - often, UI changes (even minimal ones) can put users off. I've honestly known some people abjectly refuse to avail themselves to services that are objectively better in every way, simply because they're used to the old UI and the old way that things were done. Some people just get stuck and stubborn about leaving their comfort zones.

Upvote 0
Looks simple, but are you confident we can carry over the massive amount of data on the 405th over with us to the new system? Not to mention, I like having my join date under my name and access to all threads I've created. Will all this be carried over as well?

Upvote 0
Looks simple, but are you confident we can carry over the massive amount of data on the 405th over with us to the new system? Not to mention, I like having my join date under my name and access to all threads I've created. Will all this be carried over as well?

All of that will be carried over. We wouldn't dare do an import if we couldn't.

Upvote 0
Alright, if that's the case, then lets go. Bought time we got a an upgrade. "You know how expensive this gear is, son?"

Upvote 0
So long as it doesn't become another case of "everything's new, and everything you did before needs to be redone," primarily in terms of stuff like needing to re-do signatures, or having to go back through every post and edit anything that has any kind of link, picture, or coding of any kind. I know with some of the more recent updates pretty much everything posted before then was mutilated because the old coding didn't "mesh" with the new system, rendering photos, videos, links, etc. completely useless and thus destroying a large collection of inspiration and tutorial material.

Upvote 0
So long as it doesn't become another case of "everything's new, and everything you did before needs to be redone," primarily in terms of stuff like needing to re-do signatures, or having to go back through every post and edit anything that has any kind of link, picture, or coding of any kind. I know with some of the more recent updates pretty much everything posted before then was mutilated because the old coding didn't "mesh" with the new system, rendering photos, videos, links, etc. completely useless and thus destroying a large collection of inspiration and tutorial material.

You shouldn't see anything like that. In fact, once we are over on the new platform, you will actually see some cleanup of older content and will see some new things implemented that will help ensure older content stays relevant.

Upvote 0
So no (or at least fewer) broken images, broken links, or broken embeded videos? I know that's been a fairly consistent problem not just here but on any site that goes through a large-scale upgrade/update.

Upvote 0
So no (or at least fewer) broken images, broken links, or broken embeded videos? I know that's been a fairly consistent problem not just here but on any site that goes through a large-scale upgrade/update.

Well...

There are currently hundreds if not thousands of broken images on here now. Obviously those won't magically repair themselves, but in answer to the question I think you are asking, yes, any post that currently has working images should still have them. Best of all, as you pointed out, one of the big problems that sites like this has is that many posts lose images over time. With the new software, that will be an issue of the past. Again, we can't fix images that are already missing but we will be able to ensure that going forward, no more will be lost... which is a really big deal since there is nothing worse than finding a thread with a useful topic only to discover that all the images are gone. :(

Upvote 0
OOOOOOOOOH. Do I see a double post from a staff member in lieu of the multi-quote system? :p

Bad Art. BAD. No kibble for you. Instead, the rolled-up newspaper and the bed of shaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

-baps-

On the note of that, however: will the multi-quote system finally be fixed? I've had several issues with trying to get it to work and quote all of the posts I want it to, and I usually end up having to go back after entering a post and manually copying the quote to edit the previous post with. It'd be nice to finally be able to reliably quote all of the posts I want to with no hassle - and also for these two posts I apparently have in my quote queue to FRAZZ OFF AND STOP BOTHERING ME ASDF.

Upvote 0
Hop on predatorium.com and take a look at it with your mobile device. I think you will see that every function is provided via a mobile browser.

Upvote 0
:lol The multi-quote system does work quite differently on the new system and took a bit to figure out, but once you have it, I think you will find it works MUCH more effectively on the new platform.

OOOOOOOOOH. Do I see a double post from a staff member in lieu of the multi-quote system? :p

Bad Art. BAD. No kibble for you. Instead, the rolled-up newspaper and the bed of shaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

-baps-

On the note of that, however: will the multi-quote system finally be fixed? I've had several issues with trying to get it to work and quote all of the posts I want it to, and I usually end up having to go back after entering a post and manually copying the quote to edit the previous post with. It'd be nice to finally be able to reliably quote all of the posts I want to with no hassle - and also for these two posts I apparently have in my quote queue to FRAZZ OFF AND STOP BOTHERING ME ASDF.

Upvote 0
Hop on predatorium.com and take a look at it with your mobile device. I think you will see that every function is provided via a mobile browser.

Predatorium doesn't seem to have a file archive and some other things that we have here.
Also I just prefer the tapatalk UI to whatever that site has (don't know what to call it).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back