cheese cloth instead of fiberglass?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Razer

Jr Member
i have been thinking about trying something new and please let me know if this has been done before.......

so fiberglass cloth is unwieldly and wont bend arround corners for me very well.....

so what if you used cheese cloth instead??

i am going to try this on my ODST chest plate but am looking to see if any of you guys have tried this before.....

Again I use epoxy so your mileage may vary..

No. Simple as no ;) Fibreglass cloth and matting will gel and soften in resin so you need to soak it for a while and then it will form over and into the shape you need. Anythign else will remain brittle and crack in the resin and will not give any structural support.

For example when customising the interior of cars etc the shapes are formed with lycra and wood to create smooth curves. The lycra is soaked/painted in resin but is reinfoced with FG matting/cloth once that is set up or it will just crack.

Just give the cloth and matting some time. I find with the epoxy I use (Ados epoxy) it takes about 20mins to get to the stage where I can drape the matting fibres on the piece. And a little longer and it really has turned to jelly. It sets up over several hours so I work in the evening and let it set up over night.
If I want to avoid the super jelly stage I'll add a little filler as well. The epoxy I use works well with regular matting cloth and filler.

I have to disagree with that I have used cheese cloth 3 times in the past to reinforce inside pepakura parts and it worked a lot better than mat or fiberglass cloth did for me when the cheesecloth is wet from the resin it almost put's itself into the bends and stuff and it really does'nt leave any airbuble like you get with fiberglass cloth or mat usage. What I have done with cheese cloth is I have used hot glue and put down a strip or dot of hot glue down then I have put the cloth over that to stick it to the inside of the armor then I have just brushed or rubbed resin onto the cloth and it absorbs and let's the resin soak through.

I have to disagree with that I have used cheese cloth 3 times in the past to reinforce inside pepakura parts and it worked a lot better than mat or fiberglass cloth did for me when the cheesecloth is wet from the resin it almost put's itself into the bends and stuff and it really does'nt leave any airbuble like you get with fiberglass cloth or mat usage. What I have done with cheese cloth is I have used hot glue and put down a strip or dot of hot glue down then I have put the cloth over that to stick it to the inside of the armor then I have just brushed or rubbed resin onto the cloth and it absorbs and let's the resin soak through.

That's what I figured.......

Now I will try it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back