Chemicals For Hardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayawizard

Hey there all. Another N00b question. or two. I just got both the fiberglass resin and the lightweight body filler both bondo. My question is, how is it that the chemicals can cause cancer or even death when being used, but once they are all dry it is perfectly fine to wear them on your head with no worry about getting any kind of ramifications. And the other question was that i just picked up my respirator. it is an OV/ R95 Respirator from AO safety from ACE hardware. I just wanted to make sure that this would be all right and was the correct thing to use. I read some where that i was to use an OV filter (organic Vapor? i think) so please let me know what you all think.

~Mayawizard

[attachment=16162:Respirator.jpg]

Mayawizard said:
My question is, how is it that the chemicals can cause cancer or even death when being used, but once they are all dry it is perfectly fine to wear them on your head with no worry about getting any kind of ramifications.

[attachment=16162:Respirator.jpg]

They are a two-part chemical system. Separate as hardener and bondo/resin, they are deadly compounds. When mixed together they undergo a chemical change, which renders them harmless (if a bit smelly). Let me give you an example (not with bondo/resin):

Sodium is volitile at the slightest sign of moisture.

Chlorine is a deadly poison.

Mixed together the correct way they make sodium chloride, which is table salt.

I (unfortunately have no experience with respirators, good luck, though!)

Last edited by a moderator:
GMer56 said:
They are a two-part chemical system. Separate as hardener and bondo/resin, they are deadly compounds. When mixed together they undergo a chemical change, which renders them harmless (if a bit smelly). Let me give you an example (not with bondo/resin):

Sodium is volitile at the slightest sign of moisture.

Chlorine is a deadly poison.

Mixed together the correct way they make sodium chloride, which is table salt.

I (unfortunately have no experience with respirators, good luck, though!)

Very good analogy, but theres one problem with it

its only that after they cure, they just stop releasing their toxic vapors. if you were to eat it you would still probably get cancer or ulsers or etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back