Chuck's Pepakura Armor (7-17: Disaster Strikes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
Nice work Chuck, good to have you here!

and I also know that fiberglass is made from dead kittens and the souls of the damned.

...you forgot orphan tears... :mrgreen:

fiberglass isnt made from any of this its made from glass-fibers thats why its called fiberglass........

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got my resin spray in the mail today. I must admit that I had my doubts, and though it took two whole cans, my helmet now looks and feels exactly like... paper. Granted, it's glossy, slightly stiffer paper, but still paper nonetheless. So yeah, that's 20 bucks down the drain, so that's pretty cool.

For future reference: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=78&
Not so hot.

On the plus side, I think that what little structure was added to the helm is enough that it will hold up to paper mache, so I'm going to give that a shot on Sunday.

Also, I think I've figured out what to do for the visor. My dad has a couple of old motorcycle shields lying around (very flexible, so fit isn't really an issue), so I'm going to practice with those and then hunt down a mirrored one.

So last weekend I sealed the helmet and sprayed it down with some resin, which in the end did little but help empty my wallet. But hey, you live, you learn. Just like that Alanis Morissette song. Remember that one?

On Monday, I started laying down Bondo. I threw down a quick coat of primer (ignoring the visor since I was removing it anyway) because I didn't know if the Bondo needed something to adhere to. I'd never worked with this stuff before so this was an adventure.

07-07-04-1.jpg

So there it is. It's pink, it's ugly and desperately needs clean-up, but it's getting there. I know it looks terrible but I managed to retain the basic shape and all of the details that I cared about.

The next step is sanding/overall clean-up, as well as removal of the paper visor and some of the duct tape that I used on the inside for temporary reinforcement, but I won't be able to get to most of that until next week.

I shudder when I see everyone bondo and fiberglassing their helmets from the outside... when you can do it from the inside and preserve all your detail. Maybe theres something about Pepakura I just don't understand.

But I guess it being Pepakura, that you're going to have to do more detailing anyway, so the re-shaping should lend itself to that.

Anyway Chuck, good job. Looks like you tackled this difficult step with ease.

Time to bust out the 'ol dust respirator and power sander!

no need to fear sean, you shall soon see my tatics for pep, and i think you will like it and so will everyone else

the reason i dint was because of space. but im making sure i get my detail back. i sanded my chest piece fo 2 hours. and still have to do more.

Sean Bradley said:
I shudder when I see everyone bondo and fiberglassing their helmets from the outside... when you can do it from the inside and preserve all your detail. Maybe theres something about Pepakura I just don't understand.

But I guess it being Pepakura, that you're going to have to do more
detailing anyway, so the re-shaping should lend itself to that.

Anyway Chuck, good job. Looks like you tackled this difficult step with ease.

Time to bust out the 'ol dust respirator and power sander!

Thanks for the comment.

I can see what you mean about Bondo inside vs. outside. The main reason I did the outside was for ease of application and sanding. Also, I got to post a picture of what looks like Master Chief's head covered in pink frosting. I'm hoping the final result justifies my decision.

Also, though it's hard to tell in the photo, I did manage to retain most of the detail. I didn't retain each individual fold but my goal is not to look polygonal when I'm done anyway. Plus, I'm not going to be too upset if I don't manage a 100% accurate piece anyway, as I'm not really a hardcore Halo fan and I'm just having a bit of fun.

I didn't retain each individual fold but my goal is not to look polygonal when I'm done anyway.

Yeah, thats what I figure that most people want anyway, otherwise I would have made more of a deal on how to do this for others...

Would be interesting though for somebody to come up with a tutorial on how to do this, as so many people are flocking to Pepakura these days... Hmmm. :Steve:

Looking great and i understand exactly what u mean, i want to give mine sleek n sexy curves too.

Sean what kind of tut are you lookin for, tomorrow i should have my helmet constructed and i was thinkin of makin one when i resin it and then another when i fibre glass it. Let me know what you think i should put in one.

it should look great when you're done. Make sure to make it blazingly aerodynamic so when plummeting through earth's atmosphere you'll... go... faster?

...yeah...

Sean Bradley said:
Would be interesting though for somebody to come up with a tutorial on how to do this, as so many people are flocking to Pepakura these days... Hmmm. :Steve:

I just give it a coat of resin, then fiberglass the back, sand the sharp edges, coat it again and sand again. That usually smooths everything out pretty nice.

The real hard part is the actual details that have to be sculpted in, for that it needs bondo, a Dremel w/all the dif bits and patience.

Edit: Sean you're right, alot of people don't do it that way. Mini tutorial posted.

GDan said:
it should look great when you're done. Make sure to make it blazingly aerodynamic so when plummeting through earth's atmosphere you'll... go... faster?

...yeah...
hes saving that part for his ODST

So I started sanding the Bondoed today. Things were going pretty well until my cordless Dremel started running low on juice, so I started to sand by hand. Well, my arm was getting pretty tired and I figured I'd call it a day, so I picked up up the helmet with one hand and tapped the side to shake away any loose dust.

And then I dropped it. Right onto the concrete driveway. And sure enough, it's cracked pretty badly. It turns out that it wasn't nearly as solid as it seemed.

It might be salvageable, but I'm left with a dilemma. I don't know if I should keep going but end up with a brittle helmet (after all, I've put more time and money into it than I would have cared to) or start over and go about building a different way. I don't care for either option. I'm not giving up though; I'm just starting to feel a little discouraged.

I'm not really looking for advice or anything like that, because I think I already know what I need to do. Just letting everyone who might be following my progress that I probably won't have anything worth showing for a while. Still hoping that I'll have something to show by September though.

Damien said:
put some fiberglass on the inside
Right now I have duct tape on the inside, which I know now was not the best choice. It made sense to me when I did it and it served it's purpose the way I expected, but that was before things went downhill.

I may try to pull the tape out though. If I manage that or start over from the beginning, I may use fiberglass this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back