Clean Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Alright I am not sure where this type of post should go, but it has to deal with fiberglass clean up and supplies, so move it as needed/appropriate.

Been having issues with my brushes, and cleaners.

Living where I do I have no easy place to dispose of a lot of chemicals, so I went and got some "green" chemicals to clean paintbrushes from fiberglass resin during/after use. This stuff worked ok- I guess - but my brushes are stiff/sticky and unusable.

So, since I am not alone and becoming less stubborn and more willing to ask for help, what have you guys done in the past?

Buying new brushes gets expensive every time, the little foam brushes don't hold up to fiberglass resin well, and I haven't exactly found a cheap supplier of brushes or brush cleaning solutions.

What do you use? What methods do you do to clean/save your brushes? Or do you just buy more?

Gonna have this space station running at full soon, and would like things to go as smoothly as possible.

If you're going to be in this hobby (or any hobby for that matter), you have to be willing to spend a little money on logistics and supplies. In the end, attempting to clean brushes of FG resin and rubber will only cost you more money in the additional (and super caustic!) materials needed, in addition to the headaches you'll get from trying to clean up these things that were never meant to be cleaned in the first place. Sure it's a nice thought to try to save on some costs here and there, or not to be wasteful, but it's going to be well worth the money for you to get a $2 bag of 80 throw-away cups from Wal-Mart and a $6 box of 36 throw-away brushes that may last you an entire project. The reality of the process is that you are going to be throwing a lot of supplies away - cups, brushes, gloves, etc.

If you have a Harbor Freight near by, stop by and pick up some throw-away brushes. If not, try a local paint store (a dedicated paint store, that is). Home Depot and Lowe's generally don't stock throw-away brushes in bulk. The fact of the matter is you can only go so cheap with your materials before your project suffers because of it. In the end, like I said, you're just going to have to spend the logistics and supplies money in order to make it this hobby happen for you. Or else, it won't. Plain and simple. The money you spend up front for your supplies will be well worth it in the end.

These are the brushes from Harbor Freight. They sell 1", 2", and 3" brushes generally in boxes of 36. They may even have larger, but I've never looked because I only need the 2" brushes.
5793991751_a2f7d38528.jpg

I tried soakin in acetone before gelling - didn't help overall - 4 uses max.

@torsoboy
actually I've been looking for a more bulk supplier of brushes. I've been poppin out $1+ per brush so far due to lack of brushes - plus Large amounts of "cleaner" - easily adding up to the price of a gallon of resin or more that could of been used.

I have been using a different method - a bowl+ aluminum foil method - but honestly results are the same - you eventually tear through the protective layers and FG slips into the bowl. Good thing they were $0.25 each.

Condensing the trash is a more appropriate method here, instead of the harmful chemicals. Sure I would toss more brushes, cups and mixing dippers but I wouldn't be using a gallon of acetone to clean up. Just a shame we don't have more Recyling options in this hobby.

Today is the first time hearing of Harbor Freight -was mentioned in another post I just read on foams (considering alternatives to paper)

I use paper bathroom cups for mixing resin, and the small half-inch disposable brushes with the folded metal handles. In bulk, they are extremely cheap. I also tried cleaning them at first, but realized it wasn't worth the hassle. I just tried to use the brushes efficiently and not replace one until I really couldn't use it anymore.

Don't waste your time cleaning up the brushes. You can never clean up brushes that are filled with resin. I suggest that you go to Home Depot and buy a pack of cheap brushes. I believe I bought a pack of 15 brushes that cost about $15. Just planned ahead of what you need the brush for. If you plan correctly, you can use the brush for 3 applications. To prolong the use of the brush, dry brush it on a cardboard between application. Doing so will rid of some of the resin from the brush. For me the brush will harden up right after the third application.

As for cups, I use the plastic cup from the ice tea I bought from Dunkin Donut. You can use any plastic cups that are flexible. Once the resin is dried in the cup, I squeeze the cup and it will crack the resin. After a few squeeze, the hardened resin will come out easily. I could resue the cup for several applications.

I'm not concerned with the cost but the impact on the environment. Resin and bondo are bad for the health and the earth we live in.

I just got back from working, and I went to harbor freight before that, and I didn't get to shop but like 1 hour.. and all I gotta say is...

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!? OMFG they have EVERYTHING we need!!!111!!1one1!

Apparently been in business forever, old store, old price tags that bring me back to at least the 80's and ... soo much stuff... so many possible options... so much addiction overload. (I am addicted to this hobby)

Bought the floor mats for foam armor, a 5in1 hot knife/wood burn/solder kit for around $20 total, they have a wicked brass compass I want, and sextant and other stuff Id enjoy, they have crazy awsome air compressor/airbrush system ($100 one on sale for $80 right now, and looks pretty fantastic for it - not sure on prices/value of product though cuz I am just now looking into airbrush stuff)

wheels.. shelves.. organizational trays.. knives spot putties cheap disposable spreading knives... I mean... why have we not bought stock in this place!?!

Took it to PM to save the thread space.

*edit* cept this post made page 2 >< blast!

umm.. ummm... something about the subject...

Oh I didn't find the brushes in the store itself... but I didn't get to look that well.. lots of shiny things to get distracted on, and surprisingly busy at 3-4pm on a Tue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back