cloverfield suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching cloverfield on a huge projector screen. a home theater if you will. DO NOT DO SO! by 20 minutes into the film, my entire family was getting aspirin and not able to look at the screen directly! And don't think its people with glasses or anything like that, I have 20-15 vision and no problems. ugh, i have a splitting headache, sensitive hearing AND an incredibly bad temper.

-Chupa, tylenol guzzler ATM

I've been told watching it on a small screen is much better... a handheld 7" would be good id think.

i watched it on the big screen but i went to the back row...i knew it was like that, but i liked it

Yeah I went opening night, sat about mid and absolutely loved it. The shaky cam shooting that was used didnt bother me at all, it was no "amateur" style with that like you would see in a youtube video.

Though when I sat down last week and watched it on the computer it did seem a but more different, more tolerable for me to just have in to background and watch my favorite parts. But still, Hud is one hell of a camerman

Ehh and why couldn't this have gone in the old Cloverfield thread, or even the newer cloverfield on dvd thread...

yaw, I didn't see the big deal with the whole 'people getting sick from the camera work' thing. It unsettled me for about 2 mins but I soon adjusted.
I suppose it affects people in different ways, some of my mates found it difficult to watch too.

when i seen it... my head was hurting during the movie..

when the movie ended i fall down sooo many times

RedTogusa said:
yaw, I didn't see the big deal with the whole 'people getting sick from the camera work' thing. It unsettled me for about 2 mins but I soon adjusted.
I suppose it affects people in different ways, some of my mates found it difficult to watch too.
It's a whole right versus left brain thing again, I think anyway. Different people have different levels of spacial memory. It's how we know how far away a curb, or the car infront of us, is when driving a car. It's how everyone aclaimates themselves with the world around them. I imagine people who get sick watching this also have trouble remembering their surrounds and have a bit more difficulty playing video games. I didn't get sick watching this.

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
It's a whole right versus left brain thing again, I think anyway. Different people have different levels of spacial memory. It's how we know how far away a curb, or the car infront of us, is when driving a car. It's how everyone aclaimates themselves with the world around them. I imagine people who get sick watching this also have trouble remembering their surrounds and have a bit more difficulty playing video games. I didn't get sick watching this.

QFT.

I guess some people don't like the 'first-person' perspective in their movies.

Dunno how gamers could be affected by it though.

23Magnum said:

That actually makes a lot of sense. bravo Magnum. My wife and I weren't bothered by it and we have a good memory for directons ect. My friend on the otherhand hated it as he got all woozy and he's famously known for getting lost all the time and having a terrible sense of direction.
He comes out of the elevator leading to my other friends apartment and can never remember if he has to go right or left :p

Sean Bradley said:
Dunno how gamers could be affected by it though.
Well I guess not really all gamers, but those that play games where distance, direction, and your visual input can change quickly and frequently.

I know it may sound sexist, it's not, but why do you think there are more male gamers than female. Females are notorious for having bad spacial memory. I think its because they have poorer or less active short term memory, and a better or more active long term memory. Though, that's not the case for everyone of course. I don't meet that many girls who can just jump into a game without getting frustrated about which way they need to be looking. Girls/women aren't the only people who have trouble with this sort of thing. Anyone with a bad short term memory might have difficulties with spacial memory.

This isn't the only reason some people would get sick with watching this movie though. I'm mean take Skullcandy for example. An acomplished 3D artist, which takes loads of spacial memory, got a little sick watching it.

Anyway, that's my take on why some won't or can't watch this movie(and play really involved video games).

Oh ahahah edit I just saw your post, I was gonna saw, I do loads of shiz that depends on spatial stuff :(

TO me it's like car sickness, they always tell you to focus on something far away. In Cloverfield you try to focus on one thing on the screen, but with the screen zigging and jigging you can't so it's like your brain is getting pissed at your body and it disorients you because your body is going "Wait, I can't focus on what I'm looking at, because I must be dizzy, but I'm not moving, WTF IS GOING ON". So then your body reacts by getting sick.

Hey, sorry, I didn't even think of putting this on the other clover thread. I was on like three different types of painkillers ATT. Yeah, I now think it may have just been our projector, because I didn't have ANY problem WHATSOEVER at the movie theater, which was an even bigger screen than ours! I guess if our projector was keystoned and a bit out of focus, it could cause that kind of problem with a movie like that.

-Chupa

A whole bunch of folks have the same reaction to first-person shooters.

It's funny though.. there's also a sub-section of halo gamer that get's nauseated by watching other folks play, but is fine playing it by themselves.

Those same folks tend to hate those "moving theaters" too (like the Star Wars "ride" at MGM Studios, where the theater itself tilts, lifts, drops, etc).

My buddy is one of those players, but he was fine when we saw Cloverfield together.

Hmm.. one thing about Halo first-person though.. the Camera never leans.. it tilts, rotates, rises and falls, but never leans. I wonder if that has anything to do with minimizing motion sickness?

Quake 1 used to lean a bit when you got nailed by something like a rocket to the head or something. I used to LOVE that effect because it was a little disorienting, mixed with like a red haze. It was cool when running flat-out and taking hits but trying to get to a goal.

Ohh and the point made here about the "looking for a stable position to reference from" is entirely valid, and my sister watched Cloverfield by sliding down in her seat to use the person's head (in front of her) as a reference point. She said she kinda' did it without realizing it, but until she did, she was starting to feel queasy too.

I just couldn't watch it. I just stopped eating my popcorn and closed my eyes when it was moving too fast lol.

I didn't like the movie because I felt too many things were wrong.

For example, we don't know is the monster, the girl is laying with a piece of metal in the abdomen for what, x hours? They crash when they are in the chopper and the guy only got a broken leg? A girl exploded when they were in the military camp ?

i agree with the first 2 things but the exploding is an effect of the being bitten. If you look as soon as they come in the military hospital there is a soldier they wheel around who's stomach is burst open. They said he was bitten or something.

abandonship said:
i agree with the first 2 things but the exploding is an effect of the being bitten. If you look as soon as they come in the military hospital there is a soldier they wheel around who's stomach is burst open. They said he was bitten or something.

And I quote "We got another bite victim" "Eww don't look".

And if you saw herwhen her stomache exploded you could see her body fall down so she didn't explode completely, just the stomache.

I used to play a lot of games on a projector screen (4 metres diagonally), the only one I ever had problems with was spiderman 2, If you play it on a really large screen you tend to get a bit of vertigo after a while.

I loved the way it was filmed, my brother hated it. he said it should have focused more on the monster. but its a survival film pretty much... Anyway, i can see how you got a headache :p Also, you aren't supposed to know what the monster is. its the mystery that the bystanders have. that was one of my brothers complaints. you just aren't supposed to know, you are supposed to have as much info as the common people. as for the leg? lucky i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back