1st Build Re: Clutch's Reach ODST Build

CosplayInClutch

Hello, Name's Nic, I'm from the Southern Regiment Area.
A bit of an introduction to myself, I have been steadily cosplaying and building at least 1 costume a year for the last 6 years, I have a couple of costumes I build before that, but nothing as high as of a quality since it was when I was in high school. Most of my costumes have been Star Wars related, I have a Mando (MMCC Approved), an ARC Trooper (501st quality standards, just custom), a Jedi, and a custom Smuggler, back in 2019 I decided to branch out a little bit and make my very first non star wars costume as well as my first EVA costume, it was a Royal Guard Crimson Lancemen from the first Borderlands game. I have also had quite a few plans to dive into halo cosplaying for several years now, it was actually on the to do list before my Mando was started and got put on the back burner because of it. currently on the list is an ODST, Noble 1, and a Noble 6, and now potentially a Halo Reach Marine/Army Soldier.

With that all out of the way, the plan currently is to put together a Halo Reach ODST, not so much a Bullfrog, but a custom ODST squad that is based in the Halo Reach Armor type. The Idea is to have a group effort of specialized ODST (Sniper, Breacher, RTO, Medic, Etc.) that are all build in a similar or same way as each other, with matching primary color scheme and soft goods but personalized secondary colors and loadout/accessories.

The plan is build it mainly out of EVA foam but have elements of 3D prints and Resin for accessories and details. The goal is to make these as accurately as we possibly can and as close as we possibly can so that when we are coordinated and grouped up that we look cohesive as one Squad.
While we are basing it off of Halo Reach and the Reach Weapons and accessories, we are taking a bit of creative freedom and taking elements from Halo 3: ODST as well with some of the helmet attachments (like Romeo's Visor) as well as the SOCOM Magnum (perhaps eventually I'll actually model the Reach one WITH the SOCOM attachments)

Starting off I'll go into details on things that are across the squad.
Primary Colors are Dark, Medium, and Light Grey

-Soft goods are so far as Follows-
Boots:
Free Soldier Tactical Boots in Black [Link Here] (Amazon)
Free Soldier Boots..jpg

Pants: Tru-Spec Men's 24-7 Series Xpedition Pant in Black & Charcoal [Link Here] (Amazon)
TruSpec.jpg

Tops: now for the tops there is a few different types we decided on to allow flexibility and customization in the squad while still hold onto the design cohesion.

Option 1: Tru-Spec Men's Tactical Response Short Sleeve Combat Shirt in Black [Link Here] (Amazon)
Cropped.png

Option 2: Men's TRU-SPEC Poly / Cotton 1/4 Zip Tactical Response Combat Shirt in EITHER Solid Black OR Black Urban Digital
Long Sleeve Black.png
Long Sleeve Urban.png

Gloves: Halo ODST Glove Kit - Costume Accessory Kit by Sean Bradley [Link Here] (Etsy)
il_794xN.1004231587_it42.jpg

There are Hard Parts we plan on using as a base but thats for another post (its late and I need sleep)

-Personal Build-

While the others are still deciding on what accessories and load outs they want, I have generally an idea already for what I want for mine already.
Starting out with my Personal secondary color Im going with Orange
for helmet attachments im doing the HUL[3] on the right side (like Carter) as well as CNM-I on the left side similar to below
120px-HR_MarkVI_FCI2_Helmet_Icon.png

Chest will be something similar to a mix of the Halo Reach
tac-recon-1-1024x522.png
tac-recon-11-1024x522.png

as well as a tac pad on my forarm by SkookumProps
il_794xN.2330007144_sjon.jpg

More will be added and posted here as we progress as well as a continuous WIP.

started to get a concept going for my color scheme, would anyone have any ideas on how to get that color of visor?
View attachment 313997
If you're doing a dye mix I'd guess two to one ratio of iDye Poly Orange and Red. There is quite a bit of grime on the edges of the visor so it's a bit difficult to tell the true colour.

If you're doing a dye mix I'd guess two to one ratio of iDye Poly Orange and Red. There is quite a bit of grime on the edges of the visor so it's a bit difficult to tell the true colour.
It's almost like a coppery orange color, the shader i used in blender is Hex# 914800 with a blue sheen over top of it to tone it down some.
I'd kinda compare it to a cross between Jorge and Jun from reach.

1644610311505.png

Things have been a bit slow, tends to happen when something drastic happens in your life and demands most of your Financials, but I've been slowly going at it and running my 3d printer pretty often to keep some amount of progress going.

Attachments

• 20220302_230128.jpg
    20220302_230128.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 117
20220417_135539.jpg
unknown.png
92f5db89317b58d9f19e69393c1a3e58ab4d0140_hq.jpg

a bit of an update,
I've a standard Reach ODST shoulder printed, I am debating on the CQB for my left shoulder similar to Mickey, but also being the Squad Lead, I'm not sure if I should just go with both basic.
theoretically I could do both options and have them be interchangeable, but also wanted personal opinions on the matter.

Oh, also, an update on the SMG
20220306_233316.jpg

So, I have resurrected this build : Clutch's ODST Group Build I was trying to upload an update on to there but it kept closing me, no big deal, embedding it here might just be better.

for the last month, I have taken up the challenge to FINALLY get the ODST done this year for Dragon Con and BOY have I made some progress, I have pretty much the entire base of the armor printed out and waiting until next week to pick up a mouse sander so I can start the finishing process on all of this. I have gone with a hybrid of the Titlewave file with some parts from NerdForge, I guess I'll just do a photo dump and talk about the over arching plan at the end.

image-17.png
SMG.png
20230717_224311.jpg
20230718_004950.jpg
20230717_004604.jpg

20230703_125920.jpg
Decals.png
ARMOR.png

So, currently I have an SMG printed and for the most part is ready for sanding and filler primer, I plan on if I have time printing out the M73 Machine Gun that I have modified to take a Box mag and magnets to boot to make it detachable, I also added holes inside to accept dowel rods for strength and stability.

From there I have modified the gauntlet to take a TACPAD on my left arm.

after that I modified the shins from the Titlewave knees to the NerdForge knees, that I also reprinted to scale them down to better fit the rescaling of the shins.

most of the base armor is completely printed out and ready to go. as you can also see, I spent a whole weekend making a decal sheet to send off and get printed in water slide special order because of the white.

Currently I have a NerdForge ODST helmet on the printer and just praying that I have enough filament to finish the project since I wont be able to get more until late next week.

I look forward to keeping you all updated as I go, there are 43 days left until Dragon Con, wish me luck.

So, I have resurrected this build : Clutch's ODST Group Build I was trying to upload an update on to there but it kept closing me, no big deal, embedding it here might just be better.

for the last month, I have taken up the challenge to FINALLY get the ODST done this year for Dragon Con and BOY have I made some progress, I have pretty much the entire base of the armor printed out and waiting until next week to pick up a mouse sander so I can start the finishing process on all of this. I have gone with a hybrid of the Titlewave file with some parts from NerdForge, I guess I'll just do a photo dump and talk about the over arching plan at the end.

View attachment 333677View attachment 333678View attachment 333674View attachment 333675View attachment 333673

View attachment 333672View attachment 333679View attachment 333676

So, currently I have an SMG printed and for the most part is ready for sanding and filler primer, I plan on if I have time printing out the M73 Machine Gun that I have modified to take a Box mag and magnets to boot to make it detachable, I also added holes inside to accept dowel rods for strength and stability.

From there I have modified the gauntlet to take a TACPAD on my left arm.

after that I modified the shins from the Titlewave knees to the NerdForge knees, that I also reprinted to scale them down to better fit the rescaling of the shins.

most of the base armor is completely printed out and ready to go. as you can also see, I spent a whole weekend making a decal sheet to send off and get printed in water slide special order because of the white.

Currently I have a NerdForge ODST helmet on the printer and just praying that I have enough filament to finish the project since I wont be able to get more until late next week.

I look forward to keeping you all updated as I go, there are 43 days left until Dragon Con, wish me luck.
thats looking really great man! its insanely good, hopin u get it done for dragon con

So I'm at work right now, but thought I'd give a bit of a smaller update. Helmet finally finished printing after a week of hiccups lol. But unfortunately the Sean Bradley visor i printed is ENTIRELY too large so im having to work on alternative and starting to panic a bit.
20230724_224504.jpg

20230730_221927.jpg
20230730_221919.jpg

Spent all day working on getting my armor prep sanded for Photopolymer resin application. And went ahead and got the helmet to the first stage of Filler primer. Gotta go in with some spot putty in a a few spots, but over all it's coming along. This weekend I'll be starting work on applying the resin to my other parts.

Worked some more today. Got quite a bit done. Started working on the visor buck but had some issues with runs, gonna sand it back down to 2000 grit wet sand and try again with much lighter coats.

also did work on some of the torso and the shoulders.
got the chest and the ODST plate all the way to filler primer stage. The shoulder straps are sanded to 220 grit ready for primer. And the shoulders are ready to be sanded after UV resin application.

POST EDIT: OHHHHH I TOTALLY FORGOT, i got a color concept now using Montana Gold colors.
20230806_165306.jpg
20230806_222537.jpg
20230806_222541.jpg
20230806_222546.jpg
image-14.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back