ColFork85 1st Build - Agent Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColFork85

At the early stages of my first build, like gathering materials. Need a respirator, but resin work is a bit off, as you can see, pep work will come first. Anything not seen but I will need, let me know. I hope to get a basic Mk.V Helmet and some hand plates by either Halo-ween or by Nov. 5th. However, being my first build, and the fact that the weather is getting cooler, at least in the mornings, I won't be upset if those aren't done in that amount of time.

Click for larger pic.

Can't recall who made the suggestion for the gloves(seen it in one of the many build threads I've been reading), but they're great, thanks for the suggestion!

I'll be using the Mk.V Halo CE Anniversary helmet by koshima07, and the SD Mk.VI armor, and HD 3-piece boot pieces by Robogenesis.

Got some more supplies.

And got the right handplate cut out, just scoring the fold lines.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. It's always fun to see a project go from start to finish.

Thanks!

Didn't get the progress I wanted to get done today(fell asleep, thanks to working third shift).

For my first attempt, I'm frankly just happy it's somewhat the right shape. Was going to use superglue, but it wasn't sticking the paper together. It was fine for gluing the paper to my fingers, but not to itself. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or what the problem is. So I ended up using hot glue, which didn't help accuracy any.

Any tips would be appreciated. Don't be afraid to tell me it's terrible, I know it is.

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. And getting some practice in on some of these smaller pieces is a good way to do it. If you mess up a handplate, you only wasted a page of cardstock. If you mess up a torso however, you just wasted like 30-40 pages lol. At the very least, by "doing" this, you are learning what does and doesn't work. I personally use hot glue instead of superglue, because I always find a way to glue my fingers together with superglue. I'd say you could either continue with this, looking at it as a practice piece, using it to go through the whole process, wasting minimal materials since its such a small piece, or you could go ahead and start another one, doing your best to make it better than the first. Just some friendly suggestions :) And I personally don't think that it looks as terrible as you say, only marginally terrible :) lol j/k.

Thanks!

Got both handplates assembled.

Next will be either my ID card(thanks to Halcyon25 and THIS thread) or I will begin to assemble my helmet.

Well, progress is progress. It's too early to tell(at least I hope it is), but I may or may not have scaled my helmet a tad too small. But I'm no expert, so I'll continue as if it's fine. If it does end up being too small, I've got family that has smaller noggins that would probably like this.

Visor is complete:

I'm sorry for poor photos, I only have a camera on my phone and my web cam. I'd rather have money to build this than on a fancy camera.

And to any interested parties, Gel type superglue works great for paper to paper, liquid does not.

Coming along pretty well. Im going to keep an eye on this, because, well, its got some promise. I also use Hotglue, and have no feeling in the tips off my fingers.
But I give you the best of luck with this build, my friend!
~Rayne

Coming along pretty well. Im going to keep an eye on this, because, well, its got some promise. I also use Hotglue, and have no feeling in the tips off my fingers.
But I give you the best of luck with this build, my friend!
~Rayne

Thanks! I used hot glue on the hand plates, but each has a spot where it's more or less filled with the glue, so it isn't a cavity like I believe it's supposed to be, which is why I wanted to use superglue in the first place(only to learn that the liquid kind doesn't do paper to paper). I can deal with stuck fingers, and the gel superglue actually isn't as bad at that as the liquid kind(or I've just been fortunate so far). I may redo the handplates, so that they are assembled correctly, but I'm not sure at this point.

Like it's recommended, I'm planning on having a full suit by Halo-ween 2013. Working the night shift makes it somewhat difficult to get motivation during the day to get the work done(at least the cutting out of pieces, rather tedious). Assembling for me is not a big deal, it's like the Legos/Halo Mega Bloks I've used my whole life.

Well, 8 days after my last post, things are starting to come together for the helm.

I really wish I had a better camera, but extra money is being allocated for this.

Yeah! another Mk V'er! I can't wait to see it man! Good luck, and don't mind the camera ****... The camera adds weight, ight'?

Good luck man, I know i'll be watching this one, as I'm building one of my own! PM me if ya need help!

Well, finally got to this point, and the good news is that it does fit. I'll have to adjust the shape some for resining, so I can get my head in better(kinda tight on the ears). The down side is, the pep work isn't perfect. While things went fairly well overall, some goofs here and there created some warp, which I plan to correct as much as possible. I'm not sure if I'm going to fill in the circle parts on the cheeks with the things that are supposed to go there, along with the holes for the lights, any advise?

Pic time!

Again, not great pep work, but it's only my first major pep build.

That means a lot from a builder like yourself, thanks!
Stop it you ! :Di dont see me as a better builder... the best builder is the one who wants it most . not who has the best bondo work... foam work or w/e ... if u want it u will get it !

And just to compare... my pep work wasnt close to yours... you will have less problems at resin / bondo rondo stage ! keep it up and dont drop the ball !

Looks very well built! Also, I think you've got a very nice visor picked out. It looks more full-faced than the one I used for my Mk VI helmet. I know that sometimes website pics of products can be deceiving, so you'll have to let us know if it matches what you actually get. I may want to look into this visor in the future.

Keep up the great work!

looks pretty good :0 one thing i have found is that sometimes things will warp, resins can cure and get warmer as part of their reaction process so it happens. bondo and sanding can hide a lot of these though

Looks very well built! Also, I think you've got a very nice visor picked out. It looks more full-faced than the one I used for my Mk VI helmet. I know that sometimes website pics of products can be deceiving, so you'll have to let us know if it matches what you actually get. I may want to look into this visor in the future.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Carpathia! I actually went with a different visor(read cheaper) seeing as it's my first build, but it came as pictured.

looks pretty good :0 one thing i have found is that sometimes things will warp, resins can cure and get warmer as part of their reaction process so it happens. bondo and sanding can hide a lot of these though

That's what I was hoping. The overall natural shape of this isn't terrible right now, but it's somewhat lopsided and thin. I hoped using decent support to a better width and such while it's being resined would correct the shape permanently, and then the bondo and such would take care of the little details outside of that.

-----------

I would've done some resining today on this, but I had to get some sleep(working third shift can suck) seeing as I stayed up to get the assembly done. I only got up to check this real quick. I'll keep trucking, this was the hard part, the rest should be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back