Combat Evolved Assault Rifle Prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetAlexander

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S018
To go along with my Combat Evolved Marine cosplay, I'll be making the assault rifle from the same game - a classic combo. I've started to draw the template for it based off a screengrab, trying to take into account the perspective view:

Although while making it I had one question: where is the trigger? I don't know much about firearms (I'm a close combat weapons kinda guy) so I'm not sure if there's some other method of firing, or it's simply missing from the model.

I'll be making the rifle out of foam, as I did with my Magnum prop. Looking forward to making it... but with less than 100 days to con, I might start to feel the heat!

Andrew DFT on youtube has a full assault rifle tutorial with a free template, it's pretty hard to tell the basic model between 3 and CE apart. It's still cool if you want to do it yourself but you can probably save yourself some work.

I'd recommend the Andrew DFT patterns as well.

And the trigger goes above the handle where the trigger finger goes.

Thanks, that tutorial from Andrew DFT was pretty good. I like his idea of doing the top section of the rifle. Also reminded me of how simple prop making can be, which was a nice change of pace (not that I'm anywhere near a perfectionist). I'll take a closer look at his patterns.

Sean Anwalt, are you able to point out on this picture where the trigger is? Maybe I'm blind, or really bad with guns, but I can't see it. Thanks.

Thanks, that tutorial from Andrew DFT was pretty good. I like his idea of doing the top section of the rifle. Also reminded me of how simple prop making can be, which was a nice change of pace (not that I'm anywhere near a perfectionist). I'll take a closer look at his patterns.

Sean Anwalt, are you able to point out on this picture where the trigger is? Maybe I'm blind, or really bad with guns, but I can't see it. Thanks.
View attachment 271689

The CE world model doesn't have a trigger, but it would normally be in the gap between the pistol grip and the rear of the fore-end, below the safety.

The CE world model doesn't have a trigger, but it would normally be in the gap between the pistol grip and the rear of the fore-end, below the safety.
OK it's not me being an idiot, thanks. I probably still won't add one since it's not in the original, despite how much that might bug me...

OK it's not me being an idiot, thanks. I probably still won't add one since it's not in the original, despite how much that might bug me...

No, you're not an idiot. Video game models get away with all kinds of crazy things like not having a trigger. But as the games progress the weapons get better and better. For a prop you won't need one.

I seem to recall that, due to severe time constraints, Saber Interactive had to reuse any assets they could, leading to this use of a recolored H3 MA5C model (hence the change in proportions).
That definitely seems to be the case with all the in game screenshots and concept art I went over. I think the field of view between the versions might affect whats being seen above. That or its just the different models they did. Those two screenshots are taken at the same exact place. All I did was press the back button to go between versions.

Thanks for the replies, I only just noticed them. There's not as much difference as I thought there was between the two, mainly just the front grip.
I've cut out the stencil using and since I want to film the whole build, I thought I'd quickly compile what I have into a timelapse (the video was for Instagram so it's a bit of a weird aspect ratio).

And here is my final template:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back