commissioning help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin tekidan

jus a little curious, how do you go about commissioning someone for custom
work or weapons building? or custom peps? is there a set amount to offer someone for help or is it just flat out offensive to ask a vet to commission something for you?

Just get with someone and ask. I don't think that it would be offensive. You'd need to find someone around where you live though. With scaling and everything it would be difficult to commission work through someone if they couldn't have access to you for measurements and test fits and what have you. I know I've been asked to do commision work, but I refused because I don't have the time and want to do my own build. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't be willing to though.

As far as an amount. . . . Everyone could charge something different. Making something like Halo or Iron Man armor is an expensive and exhaustive process that takes months as it is. It is really easy to fork out $400 for a suit that you make for yourself. If you were having someone do it for you, everyone values their time differently and you could see a big difference in what someone would ask for from person to person. Not to mention, there aren't many or any people that do this full time and they still have their regular jobs and /or school classes to go to. So, they'd be doing it in their spare time.

I'd suggest giving it a go and start looking into the process to make armor or a costume that you want yourself. That way when people crowd around you for pics and stuff when you go somewhere and ask where'd you buy it, you can laugh and say you built it yourself. There's a certain satisfaction and level of acomplishment that you get from doing it all yourself. It isn't an overly difficult process. Just need some basic tools and safety equipment for resin. It can just be a time consuming process. I'm sure members here (myself included) would be willing to help you out if you got stuck somewhere.

Even if someone will agree to make you armor, it'll be for a price you don't wanna pay.

Really, try making your own armor, it's super fun and we have this great community to show you how.

on my DA and FA I have set my commission prices from 15-850$, depending on complexity. a bracer, unpainted, would be around 15 plus shipping where as a full spartan suit would be around the 850 mark.

I completely agree with spartan_127, it feels so great getting the "where'd you buy it" question and the smug face you can pull at your response :)

Also GuitarMaster is right about pricing. I have had people ask me to make a foam suit for them for $2500 but I dont have the time either. My job, baby and personal suits take up all my time.

I would recommend doing your own too as its loads of fun and you have a world of help here at 405th and over on RPF.

Tom.

wow i didnt fathom so much advice so quickly, and i have started my own suit. it is fun, but i was just curious more so about weapons and painting. thanks to you all i jus didnt wanna be "that guy" the annoying little noob going up to a vet asking for help when it could be considered out of line. thanks again right now im working on my third pep piece and my first helmet. cant wait to find out if i got the scaling right lol

There's nothing wrong with asking any body questions, it how we learn. Although for me, noob or vet, asking questions to which the answer is so easily found can frustrate people some times so like I state on my foam info post read, read and read some more. If the answer doesn't reveal it's self then ask away or you'll never know the answer :)

If you ever find your self stuck and don't want to bother what you call a vet, we are all noobs in my eyes as there is always something to learn, then send me a PM as I am always happy to help where I can as I know the guys here will be too. This is a great community and from my personal experience every body here is always happy to help.

As you are taking the pep route I would highly recommend checking Cerealkilller and Sara's threads as their work is outstanding and have good wip pics to use as reference. Cereal has some of the best tutorials out there in the video section, they are well worth watching. I have taken the foam route and still I have watched all his tutorials. In fact they are so informative that I think once my Ironman helmet is done I will try at a PEPed helmet next.

One thing I would recommend is make a pep piece, scaled right of course. Then take it to the finished product. I started a PEPed ironman suit and then found I wasn't so good at the bondo stage (well wasn't using quite the right products). So wasted a huge amount of time cutting and sticking together the entire suit. It turned out foam was my thing. Once you have made one piece then you know you have what it takes and would have learned the skills and techniques to apply to the rest of your suit.

Well I wish you well and like I said don't hesitate to ask us anything but make sure you do as much research as possible to insure you reach your goals :)

Tom.

Well it looks like you have found 2 very good builders to chime in on this already. Hopefully you will post up a link to your build page so we can watch your build start to take form.
Their are allot of builders who are more than willing to help you along the way as well.:cool

Well it looks like you have found 2 very good builders to chime in on this already. Hopefully you will post up a link to your build page so we can watch your build start to take form.
Their are allot of builders who are more than willing to help you along the way as well.:cool

Well, three now that you're here thorn. :D

Gin, one of the key things to have doing this type of "hobby" is patience. Take your time when pepping a piece. The more time you spend in the early stages, the better off you'll be in the finishing stages like filling and sanding. We have all been where you are at some point in our prop building walk through life. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also make sure you do your own research too. Another thing that may help out, read through other builds and see how they tackled a particular problem. You'd be surprised at how much you can pick up just by watching someone else's work grow and take shape. And who knows, maybe we'll take a tip or two from you in the near future. When you feel you're ready, start a progress thread of your own, we'd love to see what you're working on and help as much as we can! :D

Just get with someone and ask. I don't think that it would be offensive. -snip-

Even if someone will agree to make you armor, it'll be for a price you don't wanna pay.-snip-

There's nothing wrong with asking any body questions, it how we learn. -snip-

Well it looks like you have found 2 very good builders to chime in on this already. -snip-

Well, three now that you're here thorn. -snip- :D

I'd say there are lotsa experienced builders in here. Keep in mind, maybe you might want to do a hybrid of everyone's suggestions, like do the helm, work on that super hard and maybe (if you're crunched for time and got the $$) commission someone! I'm thinking about actually commissioning for my boots... I would like to be able to shuffle about, hell, even break dance in them, as my current ones keep breaking apart. I don't think my tries will hold up to my standards... so this might be a good example, I hope? But I hope this helps narrow down your decision.

Hey! I’m new to this and need some armor made is anyone here in Washington?
I need a commissioner to build it for me, as I’m crunched on time but money shouldn’t be a problem the details can be worked out when I find someone to do the job!

Hello, Tacodials . The thread you are responding to is from 2012, and has not been replied to in 8 years. This behavior, posting in a thread that you did not start, over six months or a year old, is often referred to as "Necro-Posting" and is considered in bad form or poor etiquette. This is because it pushes down and hides current active topics under Old topics that have now irrelevant, incorrect, or outdated information.

There is nothing wrong with seeking commissions of Armor, however, it needs to be down in the correct section of the form, not in an old topic.

Posting a"Want To Buy" / "Want To Commission" thread in the "Classified" section of the Forums will better get you the attention you seek, rather than posting in a random outdated topic.

Also keep in mind that you should include relevant information such as what Armor Style, from what game, sizing, material, budget, and location of requester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back