Community Scratch Build!!! Ideas, everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithen

Hey everyone! Finally have some time do get back into costume building, and needed some help.

First off, I'm making something that is brand spanking new! Just a random costume I want to make for Halloween this year and I wanted you to help out! (with ideas) The build, so far, is a compilation of some of my favorite characters or games/films ever made, along with some original work, combined into one new character.

Here's a few things I'm trying to reference in this build...

11632957.jpg

The main man there is the Sith Stalker from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I cannot seem to get over my love for the design in this character. As much as I only want to reference the original characters I admire so much, I really would like to attempt to duplicate (to an extent) the "claws" in his design.

The Glaive is from Predator: Concrete Jungle, which brought up my love for Bone-Made weaponry. For the over all costume design I wouldn't mind having something similar to this Glaive strapped onto the back of this character.

Then comes the Gas Mask. First off, I just have this fascination for Gas Masks, they look both Alien and strangely familiar at the same time. This is the Israeli Civilian Gas mask (which is being shipped to my house as we speak). I plan on roughing this thing up like hell! The straps are going to be weathered down with an electric sander, and the full thing cut up (slightly, but not to the point of puncture) and textured with melted rubber, then sprayed with a darker mud on most of the mask. I'm also planning on replacing the lenses with something darker and reflective.

If you've seen The Book Of Eli, then you'll understand how weathered the wardrobe in that film was presented as. I want to be able to replicate that weathering as much as I can. So for the clothing, I am looking for some fabrics that look messy when cut up and tattered. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few bits of military gear and roughing the hell out of it.

The over all look I am trying to go for is a Post Nuclear War "Hero".

I am very open to new ideas, as I'm still in the planning stages for the over all look for this guy. Also, If you have any suggestions on where I can best find these materials (for cheap costs) in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (I am willing to order things in too), then please tell!

~ Military gear (vests, belts, packs, ect.)
~ Dark, highly reflective replacement for original Gas Mask Lenses
~ Cheap leather!

Other than that I think I know the best places for the other materials I need.

If you have any good ideas at all on; How to Build certain parts to this costume, where to purchase other materials, how to weather to imperfection, what I can add to this costume, or What you would like to see during this build (Either Video Updates, Photo Updates, or both), then just say so!!!

I'm not necessarily looking for any physical labor from anyone (unless you'd really like to). Idea's are the main thing this topic was intended for! Thanks for reading!

Seeing as i live in Edmonton let me offer a few suggestions.

Tandy Leather on 107th Ave - they have lots of scrap leather and you could piece together quite a few odds and ends there.

Old military gear i would check MilArm or Supply Sergent. Fleabay may have something but that would be the last choice on my list.

The gasmask lenses may have to be a "one off" or get some tinting and add it in.

If you got any other questions send me an email h1rg0n@telus.net

Cheers

Thanks H1rgon, I'll have to take a look at those places. I haven't head of MilArm though, how are their prices compared to Supply Seargent's? (which, frankly, suck)

Skjoldhammer, thanks! I've already discovered that topic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back