Completely New Here with my First build.

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by PHCosplay, Jun 8, 2017.

1. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

Now currently the only pictures i have are of unpainted pieces and i would rather not put my armor on as of right now but i have just recently put the finishing touches on my Custom ODST armor. it took about three days to finish and im going to a con this weekend so i hope i can meet some of the others there.

2. Voren Marr

Voren Marr

Well done buddy in getting a suit of armor completed. Get some pics up when you can ;)

3. EVAkura

EVAkura 405th Regiment Officer

Please post pics when you get a chance... would love to see!

4. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

So this is the helmet to the build, it was destroyed at the con after it was taken off and put away, the armor did nothing but break and i kinda hate it

Attached Files:

5. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

The knees actually stayed together for the most part.

Attached Files:

6. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

My Shin, Thigh, and Mock M6 Magnum cut out

Attached Files:

7. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

The gauntlets, Abs and butt plate, and a should plate

Attached Files:

8. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

and then the chest armor

Attached Files:

9. EVAkura

EVAkura 405th Regiment Officer

3 days for a full suit is not much time (I can hardly get one piece done in that)! Even with the parts breaking during the con (common occurrence), I hope you had fun and were able to meet other members. Hoping to see what you can create if you have more time! ... and, thanks for sharing :)

10. serenko3

serenko3 405th Regiment Officer

For your next build take your time. The marks that are jagged are from doing a sawing motion. To get angles on parts cut them at 45 degrees and such to get desired slants instead of cutting the outer foam (nothing wrong with it, in some cases you have to in others you get less material to glue together) like I said I will try and find you the pep files for foam. With these files contact or barge cement are your friend, along with white acrylic painable caulk to fill in seams. Extra thick tacky glue will also do the trick.

11. FANGS

FANGS Commanding Officer Division Staff

Well done on your first kit! I can't say I did that well with my first costume many years ago so congrats! Don't hate it...learn from it! It really is the only way to continue to grow and expand on your skills. There's lots of help for you here! Welcome to the 405th!

12. Ashuraa

Ashuraa Judicial Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

We were so pleased to see you on Saturday in armor at Sci Fi. My only regret was that I wasn't able to get photos of you in it.

I am SO,and I can't stress it enough, so happy that you won the ConQuest and the ODST bucket and basic torso armor.

13. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

Thanks guys but after I got home everything else exploded and I'm very disappointed. I'm actually so discouraged that I don't even want to finish the build that I had won at the contest. The crappy edges actually weren't sawed the foam just did not want to cut. I may or may not even try to make armor anymore. It was a lot of money to begin with and I don't have the time to work on a new set that might take years...

14. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Sorry to hear this. I know I have had some discouraging moments on my builds. There'd been times when I have put it up for months at a time. But I always come back to it. I would hate to see you totally give up. Your first build came up pretty well. All you can do is learn from there. So if you do hang up the hat I wish you luck in any of your new endeavors.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  15. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

@PHCosplay, nothing to get discouraged about.....for your first time out, it's not bad. The foam not cutting is most probably due to the blade getting dull.....It is a nature happenstance when cutting foam. Changing blades or sharpening them can correct this problem. I recognize the style of ODST armor as that from Andrew DFT. It is a pretty basic set but w/ just a little effort, it can really be a great suit. I was at the SciFi con the following day (Sunday) and had built my daughter the same armor. I would be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can to get your suit to where you want it.

SI3RRA 117 and PaiganBoi like this.
  16. Asgardianhammer

Asgardianhammer Identity Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Great offer Dirtdives! I know as a general rule of thumb, i sharpen my blade across a small sharpener I have at my work bench, before i make each cut. It is a simple rule that yields big results. And we all have days where we don't want to continue with a project, or we feel a certain way about it...just keep building! This community will support you!

PaiganBoi and Dirtdives like this.
  17. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

See I changed my blade every 20 minutes or so but it was still coming out poorly and I'm very discouraged. I might have to make a new suit regardless as I'm trying to go for a mixed fandom suit, some advise would be wonderful

18. jsg6

jsg6

God, everyone's first armor is ODST armor, well not everyone but a lot of people's.

19. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

Twas the only armor I could find a template for but I almost regret making it now. I really want to know if Spartans are easier than ODSTs

20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

20 minutes......I sharpen my blade after 20 cuts.........

You have to admit that it is a very popular suit......one that can be modified as the builder wants.....It is a bit harder to do that w/ a character specific suit.

21. jsg6

jsg6

Indeed it is, I did it too.

22. jsg6

jsg6

Ah, don't regret it, its good armor, did you happen to use AndewDFT's template? The armor looks very similar as I used his templates for my armor, sadly my helmet visor was not the best.

23. PHCosplay

PHCosplay New Member

Yeah I used the AndrewDFT template which worked but I see everyone else's stuff and I kinda feel like I should have tried much harder and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it

24. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

It's all about the time and effort you put in. That's why you see some these build take a year or more to build. The more you work at it the easier it will be to build of quality work your seeing. No ones first build is their best. Got one build done start another - I bet you'll see a huge improvement over your first especially if you don't rush things.

Dirtdives likes this.
  25. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Biggest thing you can do to improve is to not give up. :) Just having more experience you will automatically get better with each piece you craft. But, if you want to speed up that learning curve don't just look at what other people are doing, read it too and watch more videos. Actually hearing someone talk (or reading) about the steps they take will really do wonders. You'll also start to find your own way of doing things that works best for you. I remember Mesh when he finished his first costume he was proud for finishing it, but wasn't happy with his skill level. Second costume he covered in fabric and it is one of the better suits I've seen! So, lots of things are possible when you don't give up.

Super glad to see you finish your suit. Hopefully you will post pictures of you suited up. Believe it or not, but we would all love to see it. Because any of us who have made costume pieces remember we all start somewhere and as a community it is the journey we enjoy the most. Striving to do better is part of that journey. Taking a moment to be proud of something that you've finished (no matter how unhappy you are with it) is also part of that journey and we're right there with you.

Mesh, SI3RRA 117 and Dirtdives like this.