Completely New Here with my First build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 minutes......I sharpen my blade after 20 cuts.........

You have to admit that it is a very popular suit......one that can be modified as the builder wants.....It is a bit harder to do that w/ a character specific suit.

Indeed it is, I did it too.

Twas the only armor I could find a template for but I almost regret making it now. I really want to know if Spartans are easier than ODSTs

Ah, don't regret it, its good armor, did you happen to use AndewDFT's template? The armor looks very similar as I used his templates for my armor, sadly my helmet visor was not the best.

Yeah I used the AndrewDFT template which worked but I see everyone else's stuff and I kinda feel like I should have tried much harder and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it

It's all about the time and effort you put in. That's why you see some these build take a year or more to build. The more you work at it the easier it will be to build of quality work your seeing. No ones first build is their best. Got one build done start another - I bet you'll see a huge improvement over your first especially if you don't rush things.

Yeah I used the AndrewDFT template which worked but I see everyone else's stuff and I kinda feel like I should have tried much harder and I'm not sure what I can do to fix it

Biggest thing you can do to improve is to not give up. :) Just having more experience you will automatically get better with each piece you craft. But, if you want to speed up that learning curve don't just look at what other people are doing, read it too and watch more videos. Actually hearing someone talk (or reading) about the steps they take will really do wonders. You'll also start to find your own way of doing things that works best for you. I remember Mesh when he finished his first costume he was proud for finishing it, but wasn't happy with his skill level. Second costume he covered in fabric and it is one of the better suits I've seen! So, lots of things are possible when you don't give up.

Super glad to see you finish your suit. Hopefully you will post pictures of you suited up. Believe it or not, but we would all love to see it. Because any of us who have made costume pieces remember we all start somewhere and as a community it is the journey we enjoy the most. Striving to do better is part of that journey. Taking a moment to be proud of something that you've finished (no matter how unhappy you are with it) is also part of that journey and we're right there with you.

Agreed. Use this as a stepping stone to gain experience. Build upon what you have already done. I built the same DFT ODST for my daughter and I'm planing to build one for my son but this time I'm using Andrew's templates of different ab, shin, and hips.....I do like the chest piece, shoulders and gauntlets of the style you build. Don't be discouraged about your battle damage. It happens. Use what you have learned and continue.

To quote a line from Galaxy Quest " Never give up! Never surrender!"
Just like everyone who has commented to continue on, I too am doing the same. You finished a suit. You are not satisfied with. That is normal. Comparing your suit to others just does you a disservice. There are a lot of veteran builders here who have made a few suits and have improved their skills in the process. There are those who are first time builders as well but, if you look through the threads they post, they post about all the mistakes that are made and what they did to get to a more satisfying result.
I too am in the process in building my first suit. I went with ODST as well. I didn't go with AndrewDFT's template. Instead I chose to use the ones that were uploaded to the Armory here on the site. I went this route because I wanted the challenge. Boy has it been a challenge. Most of the bits are much more complicated since its a Pep file converted to be used for a foam build.
Check my thread out if you wish.
My first Build - ODST foam
I have made many mistakes and had to rebuild one of my shin guards. Then I made more errors that I have to go back and fix.
When I finally finish this suit guess what I plan to do? I am going to build another suit for a friend.
Soooooo.... that is my two cents.
Thank you for reading. (y)

If I could inject just one piece of advice as a rookie in training...............when trying to make bevel cuts, or cuts with a curve to it, use a piece of scrap first to practice on. If your blades even sticks slightly, change it or sharpen it. I tend to follow what all the pro's have said here already. I usually pass my blade over a sharpener before ANY cut and then will do it again mid way through depending on the size of the piece.

Please don't give up though, my very first DFT helmet looked just like yours and within a few months, my new one doesn't even look the same and is light years better in build. Just keep at it, you will only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back