Complex Visor Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsDarthChaos

Jr Member
So, after years away from the idea, I’ve been wanting to come back to an old thought on modeling an ODST helmet. Not uncommon, I know... but for some reason I’ve really not been able to find a reliable technique on just how to make the visor for it.

Yes, I’ve seen Vacuum forming, which seems like the best way to get the shape you want. And yes, I’ve seen tinting it, but it still just doesn’t give that nice mirrored look you’d like with a Halo helmet.

So I guess, the question is, is there something out there that can give these vacuum-formed visors a more mirrored look? What do people recommend doing?

I've heard Justin Branfuhr (Who arguably has one of the best visors out there) uses a hydrochroming method with Clear Acrylic coatings to help aid as both a primer and protective coating. (Sometimes he uses tints in the clear coatings to give it a gold colour and then sprays it on the outside)

Other people have sprayed the inside of theirs visors with either alclad chrome lacquer or spastix chrome.

Some have even used a rattle-can mirror spray! One brand is called rustoleum mirror effect.

Last edited:
I use friction form window tint on plexiglass on more simple visors, and if it is needed to be bent, you can use a heatgun to shape the plexiglass. It is cheap and fast, but cannot get the detaip or form of a more complex visor shape such as EVA or ODST, or some of the really wacky ones... 20181117_110720.jpg20181015_113527.jpg

I've heard Justin Branfuhr (Who arguably has one of the best visors out there) uses a hydrochroming method with Acrylic coatings to help aid as both a primer and protective coating.

Other people have sprayed the inside of theirs visors with either alclad chrome lacquer or spastix chrome.

Some have even used a rattle-can mirror spray! One brand is called rustoleum mirror effect.
Seconded for vacuum forming, dye of primary colour and then applying a chroming lacquer.

Forming
Chroming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back