Compton Clean-Up Day Charity Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroreo123

That's me on the scaffold in the upper left!

Home-Header7.jpg

Hello 405th!

I know that there have been a few charity discussions before, but here is a chance for the So-Cal folks to act! I am involved with a non-profit group called the Compton Initiative whose goal is to clean up and beautify the city of Compton, CA, and show its citizens that they are not forgotten. We are in our 4th year of a 40-year commitment to paint, landscape, and generally clean up houses, churches, parks, schools, and other public buildings in Compton.

When this started 4 years ago, there were 100 volunteers. When I joined last year, we had 900 people. 2 months ago at our last work day, 1400 volunteers from the surrounding community (including a group of college students from Iowa!) descended on dozens of sites to donate just 5 hours of our time. Our next Work Day is Saturday, October 17th. I hope some nearby (or not-so nearby!) 405th members can donate a Saturday morning to help. I guarantee you'll leave with a smile on your face, having helped a community in need.

In particular, my wife and I are leading a small group to paint two murals for a handball court (both sides of the wall). The design has already been worked out, and the prep team will have already outlined the design in pencil prior to the Work Day. All you have to do is show up, have a free breakfast, and paint-by-numbers (if you choose to join my group). You're done by noon to enjoy the rest of your day.

So how about it? If you need more info, their website is here: JustDoGood.org

Compton-Flyer-Dist4.jpg

If we can work out some sort of transportation arrangement, I'm down. It's about 2 hours away, though I can see about bus/amtrack and such to get closer. I've got a little while to plan. I'll update the OP on the California group thread once I have a bit of time.

Trooper0621 said:
If we can work out some sort of transportation arrangement, I'm down. It's about 2 hours away, though I can see about bus/amtrack and such to get closer. I've got a little while to plan. I'll update the OP on the California group thread once I have a bit of time.

Awesome! PM me, and I can give you my number so we can work out the details. I talked it over with my wife, and you can crash on our couch Friday night if that's easier for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back