CONSTRUCTION of the Covenant Assault Carrier SHADOW OF INTENT

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by The Universe, Nov 17, 2016.

1. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Again this PDF file is ment for the construction of a 70cm long CAS carrier made out of 1 cm thick slices.
    [Update on this message in particular]
    there might be ''download here'' tabs right underneath this message. these do not redirect you to the file i posted two years ago

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. EndlessForrest

EndlessForrest Member

sweet! id love to see this at a convention!

3. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Hello there once again internet,
    Quick update on the construction:
    I just purchased the right foam sheets with a thickness of 1cm and they will be delivered within the next three weeks.
    This means that the construction can finally start in the upcomming weeks so stay tuned for upcomming content:D

Kathy and mblackwell1002 like this.
  4. CrimsonViper97

CrimsonViper97 Member

This is awesome! Cool to see someone doing some good old fashioned model making (y)

Kathy likes this.
  5. The Universe

The Universe New Member

The delivery...
    Two days ago a Package containing 25!! 1cm thick foam sheets arrived.
    I already printed the model out on paper and had cut the slices out of the paper.
    So in other words the construction could start as soon as i was home. Construction began and after two days of almost non-stop glueing cutting and sticking pieces together I finnaly had all the correct slices cut out.
    This morning I couldt resist and stuck all the slices temporarily together with 18cm long sticks and some needles.
    the result is better then i expected tho:lol:.
    Here are some pictures:

The package as deliverd
    WP_20170524_21_15_07_Pro.jpg

The slices printed out and glued with wood glue onto the sheats
    WP_20170524_22_22_45_Pro.jpg WP_20170524_21_17_01_Pro.jpg

Here i was busy with cutting all the slices out of the foam :) WP_20170525_22_35_17_Pro.jpg WP_20170525_22_35_33_Pro.jpg WP_20170525_22_35_41_Pro.jpg

And the 'Sticking it together came'... this was a rather unpleasant work as i was constantly afraid of pushing to hard on certain pieces or perhaps breaking them. lucky enough that didn`t even happen once.
    WP_20170526_10_31_06_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_11_02_33_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_11_07_52_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_11_09_09_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_10_29_25_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_10_29_36_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_10_30_30_Pro.jpg

And then finnaly after a Great Journey 'The moment of Salvation' arrived when i stuck the last pieces in place.
    Now just finding a way to continiue. I am planning to add lights in it and a revolving light cercuit at the main laser beam to reconstruct the glassing effect.
    Fortunately Blur Studios showed exactly how the mechanism of the main glassing beam works in one of there cuttscenes in Halo Wars 2.
    This showed somthing of a rottary circle, cirkeling around the beam. Perhaps this is to genterate somekind of magnetic energie?
    WP_20170526_15_24_34_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_15_25_18_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_15_24_57_Pro.jpg

TurboCharizard likes this.
  6. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Its fun to see how big and unwieldy the previous version is compared to the the new one.
    Due to a length reduction of about 42% the long neck/weight problem is easier to tackle. WP_20170526_15_26_15_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_15_26_29_Pro.jpg

7. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you chose EPS over XPS for this build?

The Universe likes this.
  8. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Not really, I have worked with both and find EPS easier to use when you are carving in some details. XPS always seems to break of when I`m cutting it. Still XPS would perhaps indeed be a better choice.
    Besides this, EPS was easier to get at my local store and much cheaper wich gives me more budget later on details, lights and perhaps even sound.

9. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Well-Known Member

If you end up building another ship, I would propose doubling the number of slices and halving the foam thickness to yield a smoother model. You've got your work cut out for you smoothing out all those thick slices. Is this meant to be a master for casting? If not, how are you going to put lighting inside being solid foam?

10. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Lighting inside of foam isn't too difficult, it just takes a bit of forethought into order of operations and a bit of creative thinking. I've made a Fuel Rod Cannon and Needler from foam and buried electronics within, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of for it is burying long cables and solder joins that can never be repaired if something goes wrong.

The Universe likes this.
  11. sgtjasonshrout

sgtjasonshrout New Member

Hi! What you did with the slices is exactly what I want to do. Can you point me towards a tutorial?

The Universe likes this.
  12. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Sure i can do that.

13. The Universe

The Universe New Member

It has been a while and i`ve been busy doing other things but at the moment i am busy doing some progres on the ship so stay tuned. Your fuelrod cannon looks great btw TurboCharizard:)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  14. The Universe

The Universe New Member

15. sgtjasonshrout

sgtjasonshrout New Member

Thanks, The Universe. Sadly, I can't get it to work. I am stuck with only a toughbook running xp and mint. I've done a months worth of research, and yes, 123d make is definitely what I'd like to have. Truly a perfect program, until Autodesk decided to 'improve', and made the hardware and OS requirements higher. Thanks for looking out though!

16. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Dear Halo Fans,

After almost two years on hold. I am glad to announce that development on this project will continue! Currently working on a 3D model from Halo 3 but I would like to add the details like the ones added in Halo Wars 2 to the ship.

A option which I am also currently looking into is 3D printing the model by parts to achieve the requirements that were set at the beginning of this project (adding lights and other stuff to create a more interactive display). For now here are some close ups of the model I recently dusted off.

Stay tuned for upcoming content!

The Universe,

[​IMG]
    [Overview of the model]

[​IMG]
    [Rear lower view]

[​IMG]
    [Bottom view]

[​IMG]
    [Closeup centre Fuselage part]

[​IMG]
    [Closeup main launchbay]

[​IMG]
    [Side Hangar doors]

[​IMG]
    [Lower view of the three Repulsor Engines]

[​IMG]
    [Main plasma weapon & gravity elevator]

[​IMG]
    [Closeup showing symmetry between forward and aft located side hangar doors]

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      127 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      155.4 KB
      Views:
    • 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      198.4 KB
      Views:
    • 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      182 KB
      Views:
    • 06.JPG
      06.JPG
      File size:
      250.5 KB
      Views:
    • 07.JPG
      07.JPG
      File size:
      138.8 KB
      Views:
    • 08.JPG
      08.JPG
      File size:
      177 KB
      Views:
    • 09.JPG
      09.JPG
      File size:
      187.8 KB
      Views:
  17. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

I dare you to make it life- sized.

18. The Universe

The Universe New Member

:lol: no problem. Just give me a fleet of Big Falcon Rockets from SpaceX and a home- depot wich orbits around the earth,
    Oh and 200 trillion dollars:lol:

19. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Still tho I am looking to make the model bigger.(currently looking to make it about 1 meter long)

For those who want to know what happend to the sliced foam model:

The model is still under construction, Creating a momocoque structure around it was difficult but I do have a solution for it(It has also beenaplied to half of the ship, Pictures comming soon).
    Still I wil need to do a lot of sanding to smooth the outer surface of the vehichle. In the event that I will 3D print the model the foam model will be used as a testing platform.

20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Put it on the credit card........collect the miles.

21. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Great News!

[Update 1.0]
    This weekend I have taken some serious thought to consider purchasing a 3d printer. At the same time I have made progress on the 3d model and painted the front part of the ‘FoamShip’ to see what effect paint has on the special fabric harder. I don`t know if I mentioned this but the monocoque hull of the foam ship I was working on is made out of a special Fabric hardener whitch is applied together with newspaper(yet it is not wallpaper glue but so much more). This makes the hull unbelievable strong(As desired) and gives the option to melt out all the foam. This way I could end up with a strong hollow hull leaving enough space for hangars, lighting etc.

Development
    Although I have made some progress with the development on the ‘FoamShip’ and its monocoque hull I yesterday ordered a Creality ender 3 3d Printer. I have finally made the decision to create the ship using a 3d printer. It will take some time to print all the parts but 3d printing gives me the chance to add even more detail to the ship.

Covenant Assault carrier 3.0
    Two years ago I posted some photo`s of my first attempt at building this beautiful ship. After acknowledging that my first attempt at this model would never be able to reach the level of detail I Desired (In short it was just a horrible attempt XD) I stepped over to slicing software and scaled down the model from a enormous 130cm (about 51inch) to a newer version which was only 70cm(27 inch). I called these two versions CAS1.0(for my first attempt) and CAS2.0(FoamShip). By again(and hopefully for the last time) stepping over to a new production method my newest version will be called CAS3.0. From now on I’ll be referring to them with these names to clean up some of the mess I made two years ago and make this page more clear.

CAS 3.0
    The new model I am currently working on is going to be 100cm (about 39Inch). I am going to putt lights in it and see if I can make it more interactive( think about 3d hangars with little ships in them or something). As for the CAS2 Development on that version will slow down as progress on the cas3 starts. Nevertheless is the energy put into the previous two versions not wasted. A lot I learned from the cas1 & 2 will be applied to cas3. The most important thing that I will be applying from the older versions to the cas3 is the way I have reinforced the “neck” of the ship.

To sum things up
    I have decided to build the model using mostly a 3d printer. Not only because I can add more detail but also because I am planning to make an entire fleet around the ship. I am still thinking about a typical covenant fleet layout but don`t know one right away, A carrier with two ccs battlecruisers and some svd`s or something. perhaps that you guys have some suggestions on the fleet layout or the models in general.

Sorry for the way to long story here are some photos of the progress I made on the Digital model.
    Photo`s of the CAS2 will be coming this week so stay tuned,

The Universe,

22. The Universe

The Universe New Member

So after I decided that the model would me made using a 3d printer I took a look at the model I had. But after having played Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars 2 I just couldn`t stop thinking about all the tiny structures that were added to the ships Solemn Penance(Halo 2) & Enduring Conviction(Halo Wars 2). Although we haven`t seen the Shadow of Intent with this level of detail yet I think that she has the same amount of detail. So with no futher ado I have started adding allllll those little structures.

Ps: i have also added some screenshot i took from different cutscenes Enjoy!

Attached Files:

23. The Universe

The Universe New Member

[Update 1.1]
    So about a week ago my printer arrived at the door and I couldn`t wait to open it. After having assembled it and levelled the bed I started of printing the test dog from ender. After the printer was finished I printed out some little Pillar Of Autumn models. This way I could figure out the “right” settings for the ship. After I was satisfied with the right settings I started of printing the first two parts of the ship.

56 hours later… I had the first piece. Then 26 hours later the second part was finished. The second parts however was printed at exactly the same setting. However the “neck” part of the ship is much much thinner and therefore takes less time to be constructed. Still, I do have my concerns about the neck part. I think i`l be adding some Steel beams through it in order to reinforce the structure.

After the second part was finished I couldn`t help myself but to glue them together. And so far I’m pretty satisfied with the Result. I only need to buy some more filament XD.

Enjoy the content!

Attached Files:

24. The Universe

The Universe New Member

The two first parts are two of the ten parts. So still 8 to go, By my calculations and Cura`s calculations the other 8 parts will take about 500 hours to print. so wish me luck:lol:

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  25. The Universe

The Universe New Member

Parts are now really starting to come together, I hope to have finished the nose section including the neck of the ship by next saturday. after this i`l most likely start printing the center sections. already lloking formward to that(y)

Sean Anwalt likes this.