Continuity: A thing of the past? (halo 4 and more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI Blue Fox

When I first played Halo: combat evolved, I felt so immersed that I cried when keys died, I shuttered and shook on guilty spark, and most certainly felt like I ran a marathon after beating the game. I saw this universe as a awesome, wonderful creation, a new slate to build amazing stories and characters. Later, when I was a little older (and after beating halo 2), I read the Eric Nyland trilogy. I then grew an emotional attachment to the Spartans, and an even stronger one to Chief and Cortana. These were the first books I got a detention over (reading during class XD) Of coarse, there were some small problems (75 kids in a pelican? what are you smokin' Nyland!) but they were easily shrugged off. It was the beginning of an era, it is OK to have a couple mistakes. Lets fast forward some years later, halo 3 came out, I joined the 405th, read Cole protocol, contact harvest, and evolutions, and bungie anounces ODST. We all got hyped, and then it came out. A wonderful game, though I was confused a little by a couple things. Why do we have ma5cs but no battle rifles? shouldn't it be the other way around? and why are there brutes with power armor? Are the elites dead because they were to lazy to make the AI evil again? They made me stop and think, but the game more then made up for it.

Now, a year later, bungie releases halo reach. Fans thought that bungie would finally acknowledge the books in the games with more then just quotes (cortanas rambling in the beginning of halo 3) and that they would do this by introducing spartan IIIs! But then, the game came out. The spartans were wearing Mk V MJOLNIR armor (IIIs dont wear MJOLNIR(of course it could just be because they were special operations team)) Halsey knew they existed in the game (she didn't, anyone who read GoO would know that) they covenant were secretly on reach, and it took them two or three weeks to destroy it (BULL! the whole ordeal went down in a day!) and, of coarse, cortana was some guardian of some forerunner knowledge base (suuuuuure, lets just go with that, the fans wont mind!) oh and the pillar of Autumn was docked on reach and chief was in cryo (pfffft it was in orbit the whole time, and chief was kicking ass with Linda.) Bungie thanked us for sticking with them, but felt it necessary to mindf*ck the hardcore fans!? Fine, go do whatever, bungie! At least these 343 folks exist because of halo, lets see how they do it.

(some minor spoilers, but nothing too bad, read at own discretion)

Halo 4 comes out. I get the limited edition. I fangasm at all the cool contents and insert the disk rolling around in joy. But then I played the game. That prologue. That Dang prologue. were those...were those seriously Spartan IIs...running around in Chiefs modified armor...WTF!!!!! NO NONONONONONO NO. *headdesk* WHAT! Alright, calm down fox, keep it together. Alright. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and move alo...what the heck happened to the forward onto dawn. wha...where are those two gigantic fricken engines on the sides! I don't see and break-off points. And since when were there engines on that par...wait. 343. please tell me you didnt. You...you changed the design of a ship without legitimate reasoning? OK, this is strike two, because maybe the Forward onto dawn has some sort of mechanical mechanism thingy and cortana has been messing with it for the last 4 years. "Chief, wake up, I need you" *frost clears revealing chiefs helmet* there is that coolio new armor, lets hear her explanation, it must be really cool and unique *chief looks at armor but doesn't really care* wow, chief is even more collected then I thought. "I made some upgrades to your firmware" thats it? you upgraded his suits OS? You don't find a need to explain the new armor? huh. Now, besides chiefs shields considerably sucking, and the forward onto dawn carrying the new, up to date warthog, I see nothing considerably wrong for most of the game (small things, not really worth mentioning though (R.I.P dual wielding))

[post game cutscene spoiler!] So, after tossing away our tissues, we see chief walk onto the armor prep rom of the infinity's S section. he walks up to a machine, accepting his new role as a figure head and warrior of the human race, and prepares to get the new armor. Then the machine starts taking off his armor...um, what. Cortana (supposedly) redesigned his armor. did she know this tech existed? maybe the tolls they used before matched this machine? definitely brings up some questions.

Alright, finally, I'm done the game and look up some info to answer some of these questions. From what Ive hear, 343 completely BSed the creative process and used the excuse "we just wanted to make it look different. its the same armor, it just looks different cause we wanted too lolyoloswag"

Please, somebody, tell me. Why must this universe that I fell in love with, why must this story held so close to my heart, be slowly filled with more and more plot holes and continuity errors!

Feel free to discuss! All opinions Welcome!

I don't think that it should be a "separates you and me" issue.

Its more about the changing technology and 343i looking to make their mark on the series. I learned long ago never to get so invested in things like this. Yes, I am a big fan of the Halo franchise, but I am not naive enough to think that everything is going to be exactly how <I> want it.

343i is a business - same as Bungie - and Halo is a property. As far as the "continuity issues" and "plot holes" go - who is to say that the book is canon.
If I remember correctly Eric Nyland wrote Fall of Reach in 4 weeks, with very LITTLE input from Bungie. Basically he made it up as he went and Bungie said "this sounds cool - lets go with it."

The Halo universe is massive and there is much to explore. Limiting oneself to what is in the books is foolish.

The redesign on the UNSC vessels makes them more utilitarian and useful in my opinion - having seen the bridge of the Dawn earlier - and comparing it to the bridge of the Dawn in H4 - I can tell you which one I would rather run Combat Ops from (Hint - its not the "original.") I always thought the dawn looked kinda silly - and those massive outriggers would make it a bit*h to handle in atmosphere.....

As far as the warthogs go - its changing graphics. Who's to say that isn't what they are supposed to look like and the game designers were just restricted by the graphics tech of the time. There are several models - so who is to say that the Dawn didn't have these in her hold and they were just not used in Halo 3.

Basically I personally think that you are making WAY too big a deal out of this. I'll say it again - its just a game - take it for what it is and move on. No sense worrying about it, because you cant do anything about it.

You make a valid point. I myself am fine with new designs, new tech, and changes made for more realistic and useful because of faults with previous designs. What really gets me is a lack of Explanation. A complete and total lack of reason to why things are different that aren't made apparent really gets to me. Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm naive for thinking this, I just feel if you are gonna give yourself an image, but are piggy backing off a large and successful thing of halo, you need to have legit reasoning. Yes, you are right, I can't change it. It doesn't mean that I can't discuss possibilities and reasoning with others. I, personally, am bothered by this stuff, and it makes it harder for me to enjoy a game with they try to force a round peg into a square hole.

[post game cutscene spoiler!] So, after tossing away our tissues, we see chief walk onto the armor prep rom of the infinity's S section. he walks up to a machine, accepting his new role as a figure head and warrior of the human race, and prepares to get the new armor.

I didn't take this scene to mean that Chief was upgrading his armor, but that Chief was taking off his armor and finally taking a break from saving the galaxy.

Overall I am extremely happy with 343's efforts, and with the added content of Spartan OPS, FUD movie and ridiculous graphics, I can't wait to see where they take the franchise. I have read all of the books (read Fall of Reach several times), but I don't hang on every continuity issue.

PS, until I read your post I never even realized that dual-wielding was gone.

PS, until I read your post I never even realized that dual-wielding was gone.

I have not really missed it. It seemed quirky and unrealistic honestly - and the reloading "sequence" when you were "bullet-hosing" 2 SMG's always bothered me.........physically impossible...........

Blue fox i totally agree with you... My first contact with halo one was in a mall i was visiting that mall every day till it closed just to play halo 1 and enjoy the graphics and the story.... after some time i bought my own xbox and then played everything since i related many feelings to that game
I personally liked the new ship design.

Its just a game.....

It is not just a game... saying that is kinda naive since everything you do in life will attach feelings with it... And even if its just a game its not the same for everyone out there... some people who just started on halo 4 wouldnt understand that ... I was reading the books and playing the games and must say i never hated a game i always say each game as another opportunity to explore the halo world ... Just compare halo 1 and ODST ... U are playing a super soldier who kicks ass saves many people and still looks cool and on odst u are playing a " fragile " (compared to the chief ) ODST soldier ( even if they are damn taff) ... you see the big whole between those games and u can appreciate the chief and spartans much more... and after the books john isnt just a spartan anymore ... hes just the man...
It may seem weird to people but like the football player cries after a lost NFL game or a proud daddy of his son just shows that just "a video game " can be more than just a game....
Hope you understand what i want to say ...

spes256

Blue fox i totally agree with you... My first contact with halo one was in a mall i was visiting that mall every day till it closed just to play halo 1 and enjoy the graphics and the story.... after some time i bought my own xbox and then played everything since i related many feelings to that game

It is not just a game... saying that is kinda naive since everything you do in life will attach feelings with it... And even if its just a game its not the same for everyone out there... some people who just started on halo 4 wouldnt understand that ... I was reading the books and playing the games and must say i never hated a game i always say each game as another opportunity to explore the halo world ... Just compare halo 1 and ODST ... U are playing a super soldier who kicks ass saves many people and still looks cool and on odst u are playing a " fragile " (compared to the chief ) ODST soldier ( even if they are damn taff) ... you see the big whole between those games and u can appreciate the chief and spartans much more... and after the books john isnt just a spartan anymore ... hes just the man...
It may seem weird to people but like the football player cries after a lost NFL game or a proud daddy of his son just shows that just "a video game " can be more than just a game....

spes256

Couldn't say it better myself. Plus, if most of us here thought of it as just the game, why would we go through all the trouble of making armor for it.

I don't understand the complaint about the armour myself... It's a new company, I don't see why that can't have their own interpriation of it... I mean that kind of thing happens in cartoons and stuff, and ALOT in comics too because not everything is always done by the same people

I don't understand the complaint about the armour myself... It's a new company, I don't see why that can't have their own interpriation of it... I mean that kind of thing happens in cartoons and stuff, and ALOT in comics too because not everything is always done by the same people

Like I said, its ok to have your own identity in a game, but you need to supply reasoning to it. you cant just change something so drastically and be able to use that as an excuse. In comics, there were different series by different people. If someone was continuing the series by someone previous, though, I'm sure they would either stick with the same overall design (or why else continue it) or give some sort of explanation as to why its changed.

spes256

I'm going to stop you right there - I have been playing the Halo series since the beginning and have read all the books - some of them several times.

As far as ODST went - that was the only game that I actually DIDN'T like. How was it possible that Chief was encumbered by a turret and couldn't run - yet the ODSTs could......and 5mm rounds taking out Brutes......

The physics in that game were all off. Story was good - physics TERRIBLE.

Sent from my iPhone5 using mind control!

I'm going to stop you right there - I have been playing the Halo series since the beginning and have read all the books - some of them several times.

As far as ODST went - that was the only game that I actually DIDN'T like. How was it possible that Chief was encumbered by a turret and couldn't run - yet the ODSTs could......and 5mm rounds taking out Brutes......

It's only a game...

ODST is not my fav game though i still like it... and for the physik thing if u want to find negative things in a game u will always find them... ANY game has its weakness point and from the halo series its ODST for me but as i said ITS STILL NOT BAD i still enjoyed it and i love the story behind it !

What ever we noticed that u aint that impressed as some others are but im sure theres a hobby or something u like more than other ppl but some ppl dont understand it as u do !

spes 256

ODST is not my fav game though i still like it... and for the physik thing if u want to find negative things in a game u will always find them... ANY game has its weakness point and from the halo series its ODST for me but as i said ITS STILL NOT BAD i still enjoyed it and i love the story behind it !

What ever we noticed that u aint that impressed as some others are but im sure theres a hobby or something u like more than other ppl but some ppl dont understand it as u do !

spes 256

I guess you could say that if you are interpreting this as me being butthurt - which I'm not - I thought we were having a discussion - lol

I enjoy juggling geese ..... You wouldn't understand.

When I first played Halo: combat evolved, I felt so immersed that I cried when keys died, I shuttered and shook on guilty spark, and most certainly felt like I ran a marathon after beating the game. I saw this universe as a awesome, wonderful creation, a new slate to build amazing stories and characters. Later, when I was a little older (and after beating halo 2), I read the Eric Nyland trilogy. I then grew an emotional attachment to the Spartans, and an even stronger one to Chief and Cortana. These were the first books I got a detention over (reading during class XD) Of coarse, there were some small problems (75 kids in a pelican? what are you smokin' Nyland!) but they were easily shrugged off. It was the beginning of an era, it is OK to have a couple mistakes. Lets fast forward some years later, halo 3 came out, I joined the 405th, read Cole protocol, contact harvest, and evolutions, and bungie anounces ODST. We all got hyped, and then it came out. A wonderful game, though I was confused a little by a couple things. Why do we have ma5cs but no battle rifles? shouldn't it be the other way around? and why are there brutes with power armor? Are the elites dead because they were to lazy to make the AI evil again? They made me stop and think, but the game more then made up for it.

Now, a year later, bungie releases halo reach. Fans thought that bungie would finally acknowledge the books in the games with more then just quotes (cortanas rambling in the beginning of halo 3) and that they would do this by introducing spartan IIIs! But then, the game came out. The spartans were wearing Mk V MJOLNIR armor (IIIs dont wear MJOLNIR(of course it could just be because they were special operations team)) Halsey knew they existed in the game (she didn't, anyone who read GoO would know that) they covenant were secretly on reach, and it took them two or three weeks to destroy it (BULL! the whole ordeal went down in a day!) and, of coarse, cortana was some guardian of some forerunner knowledge base (suuuuuure, lets just go with that, the fans wont mind!) oh and the pillar of Autumn was docked on reach and chief was in cryo (pfffft it was in orbit the whole time, and chief was kicking ass with Linda.) Bungie thanked us for sticking with them, but felt it necessary to mindf*ck the hardcore fans!? Fine, go do whatever, bungie! At least these 343 folks exist because of halo, lets see how they do it.

(some minor spoilers, but nothing too bad, read at own discretion)

Halo 4 comes out. I get the limited edition. I fangasm at all the cool contents and insert the disk rolling around in joy. But then I played the game. That prologue. That Dang prologue. were those...were those seriously Spartan IIs...running around in Chiefs modified armor...WTF!!!!! NO NONONONONONO NO. *headdesk* WHAT! Alright, calm down fox, keep it together. Alright. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and move alo...what the heck happened to the forward onto dawn. wha...where are those two gigantic fricken engines on the sides! I don't see and break-off points. And since when were there engines on that par...wait. 343. please tell me you didnt. You...you changed the design of a ship without legitimate reasoning? OK, this is strike two, because maybe the Forward onto dawn has some sort of mechanical mechanism thingy and cortana has been messing with it for the last 4 years. "Chief, wake up, I need you" *frost clears revealing chiefs helmet* there is that coolio new armor, lets hear her explanation, it must be really cool and unique *chief looks at armor but doesn't really care* wow, chief is even more collected then I thought. "I made some upgrades to your firmware" thats it? you upgraded his suits OS? You don't find a need to explain the new armor? huh. Now, besides chiefs shields considerably sucking, and the forward onto dawn carrying the new, up to date warthog, I see nothing considerably wrong for most of the game (small things, not really worth mentioning though (R.I.P dual wielding))

[post game cutscene spoiler!] So, after tossing away our tissues, we see chief walk onto the armor prep rom of the infinity's S section. he walks up to a machine, accepting his new role as a figure head and warrior of the human race, and prepares to get the new armor. Then the machine starts taking off his armor...um, what. Cortana (supposedly) redesigned his armor. did she know this tech existed? maybe the tolls they used before matched this machine? definitely brings up some questions.

Alright, finally, I'm done the game and look up some info to answer some of these questions. From what Ive hear, 343 completely BSed the creative process and used the excuse "we just wanted to make it look different. its the same armor, it just looks different cause we wanted too lolyoloswag"

Please, somebody, tell me. Why must this universe that I fell in love with, why must this story held so close to my heart, be slowly filled with more and more plot holes and continuity errors!

Feel free to discuss! All opinions Welcome!

I laughed when Keyes died

And all I want is for arby not to die

you have to think of it as a visual reboot on the series and nothing else. like those spiderman movies or the batman movies or the superman movies.

The thing is, it isn't a reboot, but a continuation. I'm the type of person who likes to get things down to the exact bullet on this kinda stuff. It gets under my skin.

The thing is, it isn't a reboot, but a continuation. I'm the type of person who likes to get things down to the exact bullet on this kinda stuff. It gets under my skin.

It is and it isn't. You have to give 343 some credit for taking chances (especially with storylines) and not just giving us a watered-down rehash of Bungie's Halo. They actually took a lot of things into consideration and did what THEY thought was best to move Halo into the next gen of gaming. I would have been happy if Bungie has just given us Halo 1.2, and then I played Halo 2 and was completely blown away, and have been with every release since. I never had an issue with ODST, story-wise or physics wise, because Firefight was so dang incredible and such a new idea (for me, anyway).

********spoiler-esque statement below************

I don't know about the rest of you, but I cried at the end of Halo 4, and was still thinking about it when I woke up the next morning to get ready for work. My wife and I talked about it over breakfast, and even she was surprised at an ending like that.

Keep feeding my Xbox, 343, and you can have my wallet! :)

It is and it isn't. You have to give 343 some credit for taking chances (especially with storylines) and not just giving us a watered-down rehash of Bungie's Halo. They actually took a lot of things into consideration and did what THEY thought was best to move Halo into the next gen of gaming. I would have been happy if Bungie has just given us Halo 1.2, and then I played Halo 2 and was completely blown away, and have been with every release since. I never had an issue with ODST, story-wise or physics wise, because Firefight was so dang incredible and such a new idea (for me, anyway).

********spoiler-esque statement below************

I don't know about the rest of you, but I cried at the end of Halo 4, and was still thinking about it when I woke up the next morning to get ready for work. My wife and I talked about it over breakfast, and even she was surprised at an ending like that.

Keep feeding my Xbox, 343, and you can have my wallet! :)

Exactly! At the end of halo 4 343 wrote" every great journey starts as a small step, thank you for tusting us with the unverse that we all know and love. 343

I think that they did a better job than bungie could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back