*looks around the 405th site trying to start my first thread*

"Where the heck is this...."

*Finally finds out how aver a good 30 minuets*

"Finally!"

*Forgot what I was going to say*

"Drat."

*then remembers. But how to start off?*

Wait, I am already started? Oh, cool!

Well then, Hello all!For a long time I have wanted to build the Halo rocket launcher but never got around to it. Now that I am considering peping my own Spartan armor, I decided to start off with a prop first.
Ever since I was introduced to it, I have been a giant fan of the Halo universe.
I tend to like things si-fi and alien, and Halo proved to be right down my alley.
But I never had an Xbox, so I could never actually play the game. I just watched gameplay, and read about the weapons, aliens, and spaceships. The whole concept really intrigued me.
Then I got a job.
Yay! Good for me! But what does have to do with this build? Well, one of the guys I worked with was a wicked huge fan of Halo.
So I decided to surprise him, and learn some stuff about model making.
My second favorite weapon in the Halo series would be the SSR SPNKR Rocket Launcher.
I have had some experience with simple electronics (E-Board) and pressurized air launcher cannon thingies (net/golf ball/tennis ball launcher. And a water cannon)
So, why not combine the them!
Here is my idea: A Halo M41 Rocket Launcher, that's also an air cannon.
Yes, I know this has been done before (I have seen it once, I just don't remember where)
But that build only had 1 working barrel (the other was the pressurized chamber) and it was set off by a pull of a ball valve.

My main points I want to achieve in this build, from greatest to least:

1. I want it to look as much like the in-game model as possible.
  2. Working lights!
  3. I want to make the size as close to in-game as possible.
  4. I want it to be a double barrel pneumatic launcher.
  5. I want it to be fired like in game (pull on the trigger, one barrel firesafter the other)
  6. Green Reset button?
  7. I want to make the reload as close to in-game as possible.
  8. I want the barrel assembly to be sturdy enough to take a fall during reload without compromising its integrity.
  9. I want to be able to make another barrel assembly that can be loaded.
  10. I want to make the barrel assembly rotate when it recoils, as in game. (Future model?)

The entire barrel assembly (barrel, barrel body (Canister), rear barrel, rear barrel
body/handle, barrel cap) will be able to detach from the launcher rail (as in game) for reloads, so I will be able to just slap another one in, re-close the main body ‘clamp/holder’ part, and fire two more shots!
I plan to have two separate air cannons (one for each barrel). Pulling the trigger with electrically engage one barrel valve after the other, as in-game.
The entire build will have two main parts, the rocket tube assembly, and the launcher body.
Each rocket tube will be have 5 segments. Starting from the front:

1. Barrel. This is un-pressurized, and really just holds the ammo until it is fired. Perhaps something will be added so that the projectile will not fall out of the barrel when it is tipped downward.
  2. Solenoid/valve. This will be housed inside the main ‘canister’. The solenoid will be wired to nodes which are located outside of the canister. The Launcher body also has electrical nodes.
  3. When the barrel assembly is loaded onto the Launcher body, the canister/solenoid nodes (serves both barrel solenoids) are seated so that they are in contact with the Launcher body nodes, completing a circuit, ready for launch.
  4. The rear barrel will be (or house) the pressurized air chamber. I would love to HOUSE a pressurized chamber INSIDE the end barrel because the unload calls for the entire barrel assembly to be dumped on the ground, probably pretty hard. I don’t want that to compromise my pressure chamber’s integrity.
  5. Rear barrel body/handle will support the rear barrels, sit on the rear Launcher body support cradle, provide the handle portion of the barrel assembly, and also provide the threads for the Barrel caps to screw onto.
  6. Barrel exhaust. Normally this is where the rocket exhaust comes out in-game. However these will be cap ends, separate from the pressurized chamber. They screw on/off the rear barrel body/handle, covering the pressurized chamber’s fill valves.

The launcher body can also be split up into four parts (from front to back)

1. Front handle. This MAY be extendable, and might have a button for turning on/off the lights/safety button/switch.
  2. Main launcher body. This houses the trigger and Arduino chip. It also connects the front handle, barrel assembly ‘clamp’ and rear barrel assembly support cradle.
  3. Barrel assembly seating and ‘clamp’. This is where the loaded barrel assembly sits, and is held in place. It has electrical nodes seated in the ‘cradle’ which are wired to some relays, which are in turn wired to an Arduino chip which is wired to the trigger. The ‘clamp’ (the top part that can be flipped open/closed for un-loading and re-loading) will have some sort of locking mechanism which can only be un-done by a good push/smack from the side, but can stand up to frontal recoil.
  4. Rear support beam. This supports the rear end of the barrel assembly via a ‘cradle’. It also acts as a shoulder rest for the firing position. The ‘block’ on the underside of the rear, which will also house a blue light (as seen in-game) and will be weighted to act like a counter-balance, to help against the weight of the forward-set rocket launcher body.
A few possible odds and ends:
A forward-pointing light for the dark will be positioned on the top/forward of the clamp.
Right under it will be a laser pointer for assisted ‘aiming’ (not that the projectiles will be accurate or anything…) Also perhaps a push button that will unlock the barrel assembly clamp

I had originally wanted to build the Halo Reach rocket launcher, but could not find the direct file :(
HCEA_-_M41_rocket_launcher.png

So I decided to go with the Halo 4 (I think) Launcher. Or maybe it is the Halo 3 version. They all (except the first) look almost the same to me :confused
H5G-SPNKr.png
Because I had found the 3D file for it somewhere on the web. I would give credit, but I don't remember where I got it.

Anyway, to start, I scaled the file, and using some pictures I guessed that the barrel was about 2.5 inches in Sketchup.

I have been lurking around the site for a while and seen a great deal of good looking rocket launchers, but to me the barrel size was a bit off. And the wikia says they fire 102mm rounds, which seems way big for the in-game model, other then maybe the fact that Spartans are seven feet tall give or take.

But most of us little humans are NOT seven feet tall. So 2.5 inches seemed close.

Anyway, I took some measurements in Sketchup, and Am actually head off to the pipe store for some PVC!

If anyone has any awesome screenshots, clarifications, ideas, questions, comments, or concerns, go ahead and post ^-^

PS. I will also be making an Instructable on this as well, once it is finished.
Hopefully I wont get tired of this build in the middle :rolleyes

Oh my dear Lord, this is gonna be awesome. Just reading what you have planned gets me giddy. Send like you mentioned actually loading some kind of projectile? What would you be shooting, or did I misread?

Bleh. Unfortunately College and work (And some Electric Longboard building :3) Have me pinned down on time.
I have been recently contacted with someone interested in my building him an epic E-Board, so as of now, my time loyalties lay with 19 Units of college and building this board.

THis Rocket Launcher will probably be more of a summer-time build.
It will be a bit, But it IS coming.

FOr an update on it's progress:

I went and bought some 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe for the barrels. I have decided to not do an inner pressurized chamber. The rear portion of the barrel assembly will be pressurized entirely.
I decided this because once I give the whole think its pretty paint-job, It will likely become a functioning wall-hanging, and therefore will not get to be 'properly' (as in game) used. ie. barrel getting pushed out of the 'clamp' and free-falling to the ground.

Yes, the rocket launcher will have separate pressurized barrels. As for the projectile, I really have no clue. Perhaps a shaped PVC tube?
Or maybe I will make a game accurate foam 'rocket' that can be fired.

More likely I will see if some NERF rocket can be shoved down the barrel.(Inner barrel is 2") But we shall see...

I have gotten the wood for the barrel things that hold the front barrel together. I was thinking about getting someone to CNC the shape out for me (There is a Maker lab here in my town, and though I am not a member I may try and find someone to work it for me)

200_s.gif

That looks like a ton of work you've got ahead of you, but you have the knowledge and skill set to get it done no doubt. I'm probably not the first person to do it, but I have already made an air cannon SPNKR: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=45548
Feel free to use any tips or ideas from my build to help you out. I will say one thing though....it will be HEAVY if you're going for full scale. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back