Costume ideas and planning (first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

i have an idea to make a costume not done before (or at least that I've seen): The human combat flood form from halo 3.
imgres

I want to make the armor out of something simple (since it is not the main focus of the costume) like foam or even cardboard. for the actual flood part, i want to use putty or clay and put it on the sleeve and torso. for the head, I could try something like a halloween mask, and cover my neck so i can actually take off the costume. for the flood arm, i might use a metal rod or a stick for a frame.

Any suggestions?

As for suggestions based on experience, putty or clay would be a bad time due to weight and supporting weight on your neck is never a good time if you're wearing it for hours on end. Think as lightweight as possible with as many support points for the weight as you can manage.

For your armour, I'd suggest looking into AndrewDFT's Halo Marine EVA patterns, they're fairly simple to follow along, EVA is dirt cheap and will have a better look of weight to them than cardboard. Since you won't be needing the helmet or one of the shoulders/arms, you could knock the armour pieces out over a distraction-free weekend fairly easily.

When I built a Combat Form addition to my armour, I used scrap EVA offcuts to build a frame that would rest on my shoulders similar to a backpack and had snap connectors so that it wouldn't move out of position. Same deal with the arms, attach them in a way that won't cause you strain. Mine had a parachute buckle at the top that connected to my chestplate in the same manner as my normal ODST armour as well as a handle inside to hold onto.

A skeleton was built up with 1/4" EVA and then a skin of 2mm foam was applied so that it could support a top layer of expanding insulation foam for that goopy, decaying texture. From there it was a papier mache layer to smooth out and further goop up the shape. The whole thing was coated in liquid latex in heavy coats for extra bubbles and drips as well as a glossy overall finish so that it looked slimy in parts that weren't weathered with washes. When everything was said and done it weighed in at a little over another 5lbs and a bit more with cooling fans inside.

My Flood costume was one of my favourite builds just because it was so free-form. Make a shape resembling the target and then go crazy with gore. I honestly don't know why there's so few Flood suits out there.

As for suggestions based on experience, putty or clay would be a bad time due to weight and supporting weight on your neck is never a good time if you're wearing it for hours on end. Think as lightweight as possible with as many support points for the weight as you can manage.

For your armour, I'd suggest looking into AndrewDFT's Halo Marine EVA patterns, they're fairly simple to follow along, EVA is dirt cheap and will have a better look of weight to them than cardboard. Since you won't be needing the helmet or one of the shoulders/arms, you could knock the armour pieces out over a distraction-free weekend fairly easily.

When I built a Combat Form addition to my armour, I used scrap EVA offcuts to build a frame that would rest on my shoulders similar to a backpack and had snap connectors so that it wouldn't move out of position. Same deal with the arms, attach them in a way that won't cause you strain. Mine had a parachute buckle at the top that connected to my chestplate in the same manner as my normal ODST armour as well as a handle inside to hold onto.

A skeleton was built up with 1/4" EVA and then a skin of 2mm foam was applied so that it could support a top layer of expanding insulation foam for that goopy, decaying texture. From there it was a papier mache layer to smooth out and further goop up the shape. The whole thing was coated in liquid latex in heavy coats for extra bubbles and drips as well as a glossy overall finish so that it looked slimy in parts that weren't weathered with washes. When everything was said and done it weighed in at a little over another 5lbs and a bit more with cooling fans inside.
thank you. I will give it a try.

I know it´s been a while, but I´ve looked at the video. Isn´t that the marine from halo CE? i kinda wanted to make the model from halo 3. Also, his template costs money. i could probably just change it a little and make my own template

Neil - on the video you can clearly see it's a Halo 3 Marine design. If you don't want to pay you can always download files from The Armory.

As for the Flood part I don't recommend any clay or putty - it'll be heavy, brittle and hard. Use foam better or expanding foam, it'll look much more organic, better and it'll be soft and flexible.

Ya, clay is heavy, Cheap answer is foam. If you want to be more advance possibly make large details with foam and the smaller details with clay. Then make a silicone cast from it. More expensive but can really look good when done well. I don't have any eperience with the process, but I do know it exists. Here is a thread that documents the process. Life-Sized Brute (Jiralhanae) Costume

Unfortunately, I believe all the files are .pdo because the main program that is used is Designer/Viewer.

so i downloaded the marine armor from the armory, but it gave me a .pdo file. is there any .pdf file I can download? I own a Chromebook, so i cannot download pepakura.
It might be time to wander over to your school/local library/makerspace to jump onto one of their machines and use Pepakura Designer there.

The three cosplay build I will pick is the halo 4 mark 5 gen 2, mark 6 halo 3, or the halo 3 odst armor. They will semi-easy and semi-hard. That the I have pick personal to be easy to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back