Props Crackerjack's Rocket Launcher Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaspyOrangutan

Hi guys! For my first project here, I'm diving right in, and and am going to build the SPNKr, not only cos it's fun, but also for a college project. I'll pretty much be working on it full time and will with professional help, so hopefully it'll be good. There's also secret behind the project, one that I will reveal later on down the road once I get under way on the final build.

Since it is a college project, my tutors want me to produce a sketch model first, so I'll be posting updates on that first. If all goes to schedule, I should be working on the final build around the end of October/beginning of November, possibly sooner, since I'm already a week ahead (Don't tempt fate, Cracka!)

The first section I'm working on is the Rocket Module assembly (I'm mostly making the names up as I go along :p). I've taken a few liberties with the dimensions, estimated from an image I pinched off Halopedia and scaled up (Hopefully Bevbor's Solidworks model will give me the actual dimensions I need, if college ever gets round to installing it) so I'll be using 6 blocks of 18 x 18 x 15 cm Bluefoam blocks to build the casings, and 8cm diameter postage tubing for the barrels.

gallery_12243_1566_464083.jpg
Here I drilled 2 significantly large enough holes through each block on a Pillar Drill with a Forstner bit, then widened to the required diameter with a Bobbin sander, and finally shaped the blocks by cutting the corners off on a Band saw and sanding them down.

gallery_12243_1566_419070.jpg
4 of the 6 blocks I need.

May update later today, depends on whether I go into college in the afternoon and do some more work on this.

Looking forward to see how good this turns out in the end.

And I am very curious to know about this secret that you have. :p

Looks like you're well on your way. Must be nice to be able to get school credit for this too eh? Good luck.

Btw, what is that book you have that you're using as a reference? Is it a Halo strategy guide or something?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it alot.

@HaloGoddess: Lol! Don't worry, I didn't aim to begin the sketch model for another week, so I may be starting on the final one sooner, then I'll break the big secret.

@AngelVirusX: I know, its great! I have access to all the resources of the workshop and help of my tutors and staff! As for the book, its The Art of Halo, has alot of material on the development of the first 2 games.

@bevbor: Yeah, I wanted to get the art book for Halo 3, but its out of print in the UK.

@LeeKegan: OHMAGAWD OHMAGAWD OHMAGAWD OHMAGAWD! The LeeKegan! I loved your Battle rifle! *runs off giggling like a mad fangirl*

--UDATE TIME--

Right, I popped into college today, after picking up the postage tubes I'm using for the barrels, and finished off the casing for the vent end. Still need to build the vent shield (like I said, I'm making up the names as I go along) but there was 3 other classes in the workshop, so I wasn't going to hang around.

gallery_12243_1566_472461.jpg

The tubes cut up and stitched Frankenstein style (ok, not quite)

gallery_12243_1566_198668.jpg

All assembled.

As it's only a sketch model to give my tutors an idea of what to expect, I wont need to be concentrating on details, but once the project is all over, I'll have a go at making it beautiful!

UPDATE TIME!

Proof that not even my own birthday will keep me from this project, work on the sketch model continues.

With the rocket module completed (I've decided to ignore the vent shield/handle at the back, cos I want the proper dimensions for it), I started work on the launcher assembly. I decided to go for foam board, as it's easy to cut into shape, and managed to get quite far on it.

gallery_12243_1566_523487.jpg

Since my tutor wants me to complete the sketch model for my critique on Monday, I'll have ago at putting together the launcher housing over the weekend if I have time between birthday celebrations and stuff. It's upside down because both parts aren't fixed together in anyway atm.

At this stage, if I can get the material's I need, I think can begin construction of the final model by the end of next week.

Dang nice progress! Looking good, keep up the AWESOME work! Looks like you really know what you're going to do, and how to do it.

Looks nice, you really seem like you know what you're doing.

I haven't seen too many rocket launchers, but this one looks like it'll turn out great.

Wow, that's one helluva scratch-build, dude! Great work so far :D

Nice to see more folks taking a stab at building this particular prop. Haven't seen many done up yet. Hopefully we'll be able to see the launch tube housing after the weekend :)

@Flyerfye

Well, I wont say its awesome,... just yet!

@Potshot

Yeah, seen alot of works in progress that haven't been updated in ages. Well, since this has gotta be graded, there's no chances of that!

@mks81

I know, I keep thinking maybe I should do something small instead.

@xXSTICKXx

same here! this one could get me into uni or a job!

@Ghost147

Lol, don't worry, your avatar and sig is convincing me to break into college to finish it!

@SPARTAN II

I'll try and get abit of the housing done over the weekend,see how I'm feeling throughout all the food and booze I'll be consuming!

Right, one thing I need to start doing is thinking about how I'm going to hinge the housing. I'll have a good think about that, and if anyone has some input, that'll be grand! (bit of the yorkshire there for yah)

CrackerJack121 said:
@Ghost147

Lol, don't worry, your avatar and sig is convincing me to break into college to finish it!

mwahahaha, it controls all minds and haunts all dreams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Cooper said:
All the pics are broked D:

Seems there's a lot of broken images in the gallery, might be something with the server move...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Fruitcake! I finished the sketch model today, and the servers are going kablooie?

Right, once things are running properly, I'll post the updates.

@mightymint

Wait, what? Whoo told you! lol, I dunno, if they want my help.

@Peter Cooper

Yeah, and it gives me the smiffilies.

@Belakor

Oh Crap, Moderator! Quick, hide the booze!

Cool, good to know I didn't break the interwebs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back