Crap... My Car Is, To Put It Lightly, Not Working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reventorghini

Jr Member
If anyone knows about cars I really need your help. I'm supposed to go to South Carolina on Wednesday for a week and today my car started telling me to gtfo.

When I turn the ignition it turns over normally but won't start up. I thought it was the battery or alternator at first but I just got a new alternator a few months ago and I don't think it would even turn over if the battery was dead (aside from the facts that my lights come on). My dad thinks its something electronic but I'm all out of guesses. I'll probably post a video tomorrow if I can't get it figured out, hopefully that will help.

Any ideas?

Reventorghini said:
If anyone knows about cars I really need your help. I'm supposed to go to South Carolina on Wednesday for a week and today my car started telling me to gtfo.

When I turn the ignition it turns over normally but won't start up. I thought it was the battery or alternator at first but I just got a new alternator a few months ago and I don't think it would even turn over if the battery was dead (aside from the facts that my lights come on). My dad thinks its something electronic but I'm all out of guesses. I'll probably post a video tomorrow if I can't get it figured out, hopefully that will help.

Any ideas?
Sounds like the battery, I don't know cars, but that happened to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the battery. Do you have a voltometer? It would tell ya if your battery was just dead enough. Ive helped my dad work on cars alot, but mostly the info goes in one ear and out the other ina few days.

Actually come to think of it, I don't think the battery has been replaced since it was given to me a little over a year ago, so it's a possibility.

Don't let that stop you from theorizing though. :)

Could still be your battery. But most likely not, if you can't jump it (unless your batt terminals are super dirty)

Could be bad spark plugs or maybe your distributor cap. Or ignition module. Seriously could be many things... but that's cars for ya.

In addition to what Adam said.

If it turns over (engine turning over) then probably a fuel-injector or carburetor problem (don't know what kind of car ya got). Give it some gas as you turn it over and see if it doesn't fire up. Also chuck one of those dollar bottles of injector cleaner into the gas tank. Was it missing before it stopped working? (That might hint at spark plugs or distributor rotor)

Not trying to patronize you at all since you obviously know basic car stuff. I've just had the same problem with one of my old cars since they started putting more ethanol in the local gasoline. Damn stuff dissolves certain rubbers and gums up the works. If I don't chuck some cleaner in there once a week, the thing will just stall randomly and not want to start, even on the highway. Believe me, that's not a fun time.

If it's just making the ignition noise but the engine itself is not turning over, then probably an electrical problem. Could be the starter motor or solenoid if you're positive it's not the battery or the alternator. That's if there's no other computer regulated bit complicating things.

And of course that assumes all the belts and hoses are fine.

Adam said:
Could still be your battery. But most likely not, if you can't jump it (unless your batt terminals are super dirty)

Could be bad spark plugs or maybe your distributor cap. Or ignition module. Seriously could be many things... but that's cars for ya.

I never thought of the distributor cap. LOL. My moms car had the same issue. My dad and i took off the cap and had to sand the nodes that hit the plugs. Got rusty.

Sigma-LS said:

If it turns over (engine turning over) then probably a fuel-injector or carburetor problem (don't know what kind of car ya got). Give it some gas as you turn it over and see if it doesn't fire up. Also chuck one of those dollar bottles of injector cleaner into the gas tank. Was it missing before it stopped working? (That might hint at spark plugs or distributor rotor)

Not trying to patronize you at all since you obviously know basic car stuff. I've just had the same problem with one of my old cars since they started putting more ethanol in the local gasoline. Damn stuff dissolves certain rubbers and gums up the works. If I don't chuck some cleaner in there once a week, the thing will just stall randomly and not want to start, even on the highway. Believe me, that's not a fun time.

If it's just making the ignition noise but the engine itself is not turning over, then probably an electrical problem. Could be the starter motor or solenoid if you're positive it's not the battery or the alternator. That's if there's no other computer regulated bit complicating things.

I have an '88 Ford Thunderbird, it's direct injected. I tried pumping the throttle cause I thought it was just being lazy since it was cold but my dad said I was "flooding the engine" and it wasn't helping anyway so I stopped. I have a bottle of STP injector treatment I was planning on using when I filled up my tank for the trip, I guess I could use it early since I'm nearly full already. Was what missing? That didn't make sense to me ha ha. I was gonna check the spark plugs but I ran out of daylight and my hood light burned out a few weeks ago so I'll do that tomorrow when I make the video I guess.

If you flooded it, that means you gave it too much gas and flooded the cylinders so there's not enough air to ignite it properly. Just give it about 5 minutes to drain and try it again with slightly less gas.

Missing is when not all of your cylinders are firing (ex. 5 out of 6). You can hear it and feel it when the car is running. It really thumps at low rpms. It usually indicates a bad distributor or plug.

First what kind of car?

second if it turns over and won't start it isn't the battery it is the fuel delivery system wheather its a new or old car check the fuel pump first then work down the line to either the carb which most cars don't have after the late 80's then the fuel rail with the injectors.

if it is a carb problem you won't know unless you have a mechanic check it but the first clue if it is a fuel delivery problem is

1 carb you won't see gas squirt in

2 fuel injector a little harder to tell you have to remove the fuel rail from the block usually held in with a couple on bolt or fastener clips
remove those clips and pull the rail ever so gently out of the delivery holes turn the ignition and if fuel isn't squirting you either have clogged fuel injectors or a bad fuel pump,

either way if you tell me which model vehicle you have I can give yo a better way to find out if it is the fuel delivery system.

And for those of you who don't know I own a car customizing shop in north carolina so if you have questions feel free to ask me I live eat and breath cars electronics and gaming in that order.

ok remove the fuel rail cover from the block usually held in with four to eight nuts remove the clamps holding the fuel rail in place gently pull the fuel rail away from the block in a slow even pessure, have someone get in the car and turn the ignition switch to on not try to start it and press the pedal if fuel comes out then your pump is ok. if it only comes out of it in one or two area your fuel injector either need cleaning or replacing and the fuel pump filter may be clogged,

also your mass airflow sensor may be shot in that car having owned one and knowing from exp. the mass airflow sensor goes out about once every 6 or seven years. another thing you can do to save alot of heart ache is take it to the nearest automotive supply place like advanced or auto zone and have them put their obdII scanner on it and it will tell them electronically if anything is wrong. I know it won't start have your dad tow or pull you over to save you expense of tow truck. where do you live by the way?

Vampyredh said:
it isn't the battery it is the fuel delivery system wheather its a new or old car check the fuel pump first then work down the line to either the carb which most cars don't have after the late 80's then the fuel rail with the injectors.

Did you put some gas in it :D seriously, if it''s low put some in. My dad's suburban ran low and I parked it on a hill such that the line from the tank wasn't submerged. wouldn't start. Got a portable tank and had to crank for a good long time, when it went it threw up a cloud big enough to smoke out the whole neighborhood :). Fairly recent model too, a 99 with only 240k miles or so.

Can you hear the fuel pump running (when you first turn the ignition before starting it should run for a few seconds)? Most make a dull whirring noise, if it sounds particularly unhealthy or you hear nothing at all then you should get that checked out. Also the fuel filter.

after that check for ignition by pulling a spark plug and shorting it to the engine to see if it sparks.

Check the fuel lines that run into the injectors. I had a friend that recently transferred to SCAD and the day before she left she could not get her car, an early 90s Volvo, started. What had actually happened is that her dad put new vinyl fuel lines in and they were too short so the distance made them crimp when the engine was off and the lines were not pressurized. When she tried to start the car the battery and alternator were both fine the engine would not turn over though like it was out of gas. With a quick pinch on the fuel lines to open them back up the car started immediately and as long as the car was running the lines would stay open.

Ah, the joys of malfunctioning cars. I think that others have covered the salient points. Just remember: Fuel, Air, and Spark. If you have all three, the engine will run. Everything else is lagniappe. I'd work from the simplest, easiest things up to the complicated things that take a lot of effort. Check if you have spark. A timing light helps for this, but if you CAREFULLY ground the plug wire you can see if it is producing spark. While you're at it, take a look at the plugs, they may be worn or fouled to the point of not being able to effectively light off the fuel/air mixture. As for the fuel, the methods mentioned work, but please be very careful with spraying gasoline around hot engine components. Gasoline is volatile stuff and can ruin your day if mishandled. Also, consider getting a Haynes manual or other maintenance manual for the car. These often include troubleshooting guides and are invaluable in performing your own maintenance. Good luck with the problem.

Sigma-LS said:

hey Sigma, that old car you were talking about, was that the geo with the non-functioning speedometer? :D

IMo i'm thinking electrical is most likely, fuel runner up.

No Jason, that would be the 1980 Power Wagon with a functioning speedometer and a taste for oil. ;)

I got it from my family for my 21st. It's just the old farm truck.

EDIT: I did have a flat on my geo today though. That unlucky little tin box is going to the crusher when I finish school.

Sigma-LS said:
No Jason, that would be the 1980 Power Wagon with a functioning speedometer and a taste for oil. ;)

I got it from my family for my 21st. It's just the old farm truck.

EDIT: I did have a flat on my geo today though. That unlucky little tin box is going to the crusher when I finish school.

can't do that man! i liked that car. it felt like i was riding in a glass bubble and i liked waking the occupants in the back seat with yells and brakes screeching.

we should do it again sometime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back