Cricut: Cutting Printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoon4690

It was just brought to my attention that there are printers that can cut things out for you. I was just wondering if these printers could be used for our pepakura needs or if they only work a certain way. What are your thoughts? Are there any other topics on this?

That's a great idea. There will probably be some hurdles though. I have never used a Cricut machine but I've seen the commercials. If they work anything like a signshop vinyl cutter (which I use daily) you would first have to convert the .pdo file to a vector image, such as an .eps or .ai. The other issue is that all the materials that I cut have to have a release liner (even the heavy stuff like sandblast stencil).
The Cricut machine may work differently and I definately think this deserves further investigation. I'll see if my sign software is able to import a .pdo file and convert it.
Good thinking!

yeah, the Cricut cutter is just another version of the Craftrobo. I think it's just as expensive as the smaller light duty Craftrobo. The heavy duty awesome Craftrobo will run you around $800-$900.

As far as I know, only one person has purchased the craftrobo and used it for pepakura. His experiences with it are located here. From what I gather, it has limitations on really small detail cuts and how complicated the pep file is (memory-wise). Other than that, it seems to cut and score pretty well.

I may be wrong, but from what I could research about the Cricut, it only works with the pre-packaged cut patterns. You can't give it a custom pattern to cut (but please correct me if I'm wrong about this). I don't know, maybe that's just the lower end models. Maybe the higher end ones have more capabilities.

juggernaut said:
If they work anything like a signshop vinyl cutter (which I use daily) you would first have to convert the .pdo file to a vector image, such as an .eps or .ai.
I'll see if my sign software is able to import a .pdo file and convert it.
Actually, all you need to do is get the *pdf version that people have been releasing for us Mac users, then open it up in Adobe Illustrator. Save as *ai file, and bam.
Or at least, that's what I'd do. Haha.

And anyway! I think this has great potential, but there's some weird satisfaction in cutting all the pieces out yourself, slaving away for hours and getting disgusted with paper.
:/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back