custom helmet build elctronics and video install

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDiamonds

i am building a halo mark helmet and was going to put led/infared lighting with a nightvision cam that has a uv filter installed on it, i will look up the specs on the camera and post it later, the infared lights and uv filtered nightvision increase the camera light and visibility at night to allow for using the helmet in no light without being noticed. i was planning on installing a small lcd display inside the visor to uce the camera,
was going to install the camera in the rangefinder
any ideas would be welcome, this build is gonna take some time but i will post when i get all my research done and actually start my build

was also thinking about putting a sound amplified in
was going to use the helmet for paintball and the like after it is completed at least that is what i am going with now might have other uses when done though

was also thinking about putting a sound amplified in
was going to use the helmet for paintball and the like after it is completed at least that is what i am going with now might have other uses when done though

Using this for paintball is kind of a bad idea, the material is not really strong enough for it. But i like the ideas you have, i am looking forward to see what you will do. :)

Pics or it didn't happen :cool

Cool your jets man, he is gona post pics when he has something to post. He is simply stating what he is planning to do and if any one had any opinions about it or if any one wanted to add on to his ideas.

DDiamonds-Also try not to double post that much, go to edit post, then advanced. I sadly am not that tech savy, but i have been thinking of trying to find a away to put in a working HUD into a helmet, as you are possibly going to do. Best of luck to you ;)

Haha, that would be awesome to use except to anyone in the know you would be lit up like a christmass tree :)
you are going to use a specific camera? cause the way i would have approched it is modded a regular camera so it can see UV and put a filter on it, i would think it would be alot cheaper :?
just my thought :)

as far as the working hud i was thinking a viewscreen of a small camcorder or a screen from a digital camera, either one is gonna take alot of wiring knowledge though. and as far as strength i was thinking of putting a very thin wire mesh between layers of fiberglass to reinforce and as far as being lit up i figure with the proper filters it wont be too visible

a small LCD screen ist going to work in my opinion, it will just be really blurry and bright because how close it is to your eyes in the helmet. theres not very much space in there.

but what i had planned were stereoscopic 3D goggles for the HUD imaging instead of an LCD display.
you just need 2 cameras rigged up instead of one, then each goggle projects the Left and Right eye.
it could work for night vision too i guess.

I do not think you could get away with this just with an LCD as you couldnt get your eye to focus on it. You could play around with diopter lenses (The fatshark FPV headsets use them) but then the actual cameras would not give you a wide enough field of view. Trust me ive tried walking with a standard camera with the headset on: It didnt work. Your best bet would be to only have one display over an eye to leave the other one for, you know, walking :D

Another option is to use a semi reflective surface to have the LCD shine onto. Like the car huds. All options that would require testing but i would love to see the results!

Cheers.

it could use OLEDs it works with the land warrior program so why not this?

The problem is not whether you use LCD, OLEDs, normal LEDs or any other display technology. You can use any of these. The problem is how you use that thechnology. Just grabbing a roll of duck tape and glueing the thing into the visor is not the answer here, because your eyes won't be able to focus on the display. The only thing you'll accomplish that way is to hurt yourself.

I think the closest you're going to get to what you have in mind is using commercial video glasses and hooking them up to a high quality camera. You already see where this is going in terms of cost, despite the drawbacks in vision.

Well said vertrue.

Also want to add that if you want to be able to see out of your visor, you will be using a mirror tinted visor which works like a two way mirror. You can see out, but people only see a mirrored surface from the outside. Any light leaked from a display would ruin this mirrored effect.

Basically from what i read your creating nightvision goggles like the AN-PVS 7b. It uses an infared light to illuminate the area around it for increased visibility. Have you thought about mounting the goggle/OLED/LCD display on rotating arm? Kinda like the IHADSS display on the apache pilots helmet? that way you could walk around normally, then rotate it in place over your eye for "nightvision".

srvr.jpg

Granted, their helmets are huge, so you will have to custom make your own type of swingarm. maybe a small lever you could move? or a motor in the helmet to move it when a button is pressed or something?

That poor pilot just lost all sense of night vision when that picture was taken. Look at how big his pupil is.

sorry havent been on for a while havent been able to get my printer working yet and really dont want to go to the library or something somolar to print this off, especially since im gonna have to make one and then change it to the size i need and a 20 a print it would take me quite a bit of time and money just to figure out the size and get a working model, but as far as the nightvisiion which seems to be the topic of debate here after thinking about it i was planning a transparent screen which is in place that shows the nightvision picture and mostly the nightvision is mostly for targeting not really for moving around too much, and as far as being lit up light a christmas tree i was planning on using uv light invisible to the human eye with a special filet on a night vision camers, and the paintball i was planning on a reinforcement layer of some sort built into te fiberglass to make it strong enough

sorry havent been on for a while havent been able to get my printer working yet and really dont want to go to the library or something somolar to print this off, especially since im gonna have to make one and then change it to the size i need and a 20 a print it would take me quite a bit of time and money just to figure out the size and get a working model, but as far as the nightvisiion which seems to be the topic of debate here after thinking about it i was planning a transparent screen which is in place that shows the nightvision picture and mostly the nightvision is mostly for targeting not really for moving around too much, and as far as being lit up light a christmas tree i was planning on using uv light invisible to the human eye with a special filet on a night vision camers, and the paintball i was planning on a reinforcement layer of some sort built into te fiberglass to make it strong enough

??? Will you be using a reg paintball mask W/ goggles? Most pb fields make you use a reg mask to play.

??? Will you be using a reg paintball mask W/ goggles? Most pb fields make you use a reg mask to play.
most places do make you use one but ive heard there are places you can take that will rate your personal mask so you can use it at a public field too, and if i doesnt work ill still have a nice helmet that has some nice functionality in the end

So finally got back. Got a basic helmet built after this thread but didnt scale it right so never fit right and i redesigned the whole night vision thing. Took out 90% of the electronics and just put a uv filter on the blast screen. So it slid down instead of the visor cover. Then it got put in storage and dissapeared from there so on to the next one hopefully scaled right this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back