Custom ODST armor Build (AguilarWorkshop Files)

Snipermann02

Hello, so I have been a LONG time lurker of the 405th Forums as a guest. Recently though I have decided to actually make an account and finally participate in the community :)

I started years ago (Around 2016) with an AdrewDFT Foam armor build, I won't go into too much detail since that's not what this post is about, but here's an image of the last iteration I did of it (I still have it to this day lol)
20191111_154410.jpg

Over the last year/year and a half, I have decided to redo my ODST armor to be even better and to the standards of quality I have now. I began with the Helmet and that took me nearly a year to complete since it was my first 3D printed project I ever did. Like I actually assembled the printer and immediately began working on it LOL. This was probably bad in hindsight since I had a lot of issues down the road that I should have learned about first, but oh well here we are.
338261083_962487031586176_4732325482841848458_n (1).jpg
20221214_224418.jpg
20221214_214736.jpg

The Helmet is a Romeo-style Helmet with the O/I (Ocular Integration) piece on the top. Romeo isn't my favorite ODST, but his helmet is by far the coolest in my book. I have always loved the Halo snipers and have always loved sniping in general so this seemed like an easy pick.

346103552_773763607810954_8586625568066359301_n.jpg
352564793_1423996171736069_4031060784176821896_n.jpg
351347861_1338329103763316_8719990813134260712_n.jpg
351349774_1010115390002679_4978344783297611798_n.jpg
352182440_172914565500573_8928817496245848315_n.jpg

^^^ This is the progress I have made so far on the rest of the Armor pieces. All files, including the helmet (Except for the O/I attachment) are from AguilarWorkshop, his files are awesome and are more than worth the price he sells them for.

You can see some issues with the prints in some photos and that is due to a clog I had that I was too impatient to clean until just a couple of days ago when printing became impossible LOL. However, all the pieces are still looking good.

I use a kinda weird technique for smoothing my prints, and that's with Wall Spackle. I used UV resin for my Helmet, but after weighing the cost and effort I decided that to do an ENTIRE armor set like that would be way too much. I then had the bright idea to use some cheap wall filler spackle stuff and it works great. It's super easy to apply, dries extremely fast, and is extremely easy to sand as well. Although it does take multiple go-overs since there do tend to be divots from the spackle on the first layer or two after sanding. The only real worry I have is with water getting on it, but I plan on using some sort of water-resistant spray on it so that should be no issue.

I plan on posting updates as I progress through the building process. I am currently printing the pieces for the second shoulder and also working on an armor carrier to go under the chest plate and stuff. Next, I will be printing the belt pieces and then working on the larger and more difficult pieces (Forearms, Thighs, and shins).

(Also, I hope this is the right forum section to post this under, I'm 99% sure it is lol)

What kinda printer do you have? And what seems to be the issues? I'm not an expert, but at this point I feel like I would have a little knowledge to help lol.
I have an ender 3 (V2?) and no matter how many tries I make and videos I watch, it just does not stick to the bed. it totally sucks because, even if not armor, I would have printed so many guns by now

I might try actually tomorrow putting masking tape on it because I've heard that helps but if not then I'm back to square one again. printers like mine that don't have auto bed leveling are a thing of the past, so ive I've heard :/

I have an ender 3 (V2?) and no matter how many tries I make and videos I watch, it just does not stick to the bed. it totally sucks because, even if not armor, I would have printed so many guns by now
Go to Amazon and buy a PEI sheet, you can buy a cheap one and it'll work all the same. PEI sheets become extremely sticky when heated and allow the plastic to adhere to the surface without the need for tape or glue and they're reusable for thousands of times if not more. That was my solution, as the glass plates suck and also stock being able to stick at all after a few prints if they even stick in the first place.

Go to Amazon and buy a PEI sheet, you can buy a cheap one and it'll work all the same. PEI sheets become extremely sticky when heated and allow the plastic to adhere to the surface without the need for tape or glue and they're reusable for thousands of times if not more. That was my solution, as the glass plates suck and also stock being able to stick at all after a few prints if they even stick in the first place.
what printer do you have? also do you just leave it at default settings or do you turn the temperatures up or

what printer do you have? also do you just leave it at default settings or do you turn the temperatures up or
My printer is an Ender 3 Max, and yes Default settings should be good for regular PLA. Although I recommend increasing retraction and z-hop by a little. if you use other Filament then you'll need to google temps for them.

I also have an ender 3 (pro version). I bought a glass plate to go with it but I found two things helpful for getting good bed adhesion. One was a good ol glue stick and cover the entire build plate every time. second is mastering the first layer.

First layer is a must to get a good print. Make sure one: that the first layer is sticking to the plate and two: that as its laying down the first layer the individual lines of plastic are sticking together and essentially becoming one piece.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about leveling your bed?

I also have an ender 3 (pro version). I bought a glass plate to go with it but I found two things helpful for getting good bed adhesion. One was a good ol glue stick and cover the entire build plate every time. second is mastering the first layer.

First layer is a must to get a good print. Make sure one: that the first layer is sticking to the plate and two: that as its laying down the first layer the individual lines of plastic are sticking together and essentially becoming one piece.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about leveling your bed?
Idk about him, but personally I Auto home the nozzle and disable the steppers. Then I will raise the home corner to the right height and then move the nozzle to the next corner and repeat until I get back to the original corner. I will do this a few times to make sure it is all perfectly level before I begin printing.

Idk about him, but personally I Auto home the nozzle and disable the steppers. Then I will raise the home corner to the right height and then move the nozzle to the next corner and repeat until I get back to the original corner. I will do this a few times to make sure it is all perfectly level before I begin printing.
Yeah I do the same thing and check the level with a piece of paper under the nozzle.

RedRends I would recommend trying this to start. If you continue to have issues feel free to PM.

Hello, RedRends, I see several times in this thread that you have made multiple posts in a row, within a minute or so of each other. Please note that this is usually considered "Spam" posting, and is frowned upon on most Online Forums. In the future, if you have have anew thought, or think of something else you want to say, and it has been less than a day, or no one else has responded to the thread, it is a much more polite option to simply edit your previous post to include your updated thoughts or information. Otherwise you will clog up the thread and detrack from another member's Topic, all things that are considered poor etiquette. We would appreciate it if you could be mindful of this in the future. Thank you.

A little Update on what I've been doing so far.

I printed the Second shoulder piece for the Armor, so now I'm working on printing the belt pieces as of typing this.

I have also begun painting the pieces I already have, which I think are coming out nicely!
355569710_278739308015294_8078208456570600166_n (1).jpg

However, an Issue I have been running into is getting the Gunmetal paint to look like the helmet's main color. Now Idk if it is due to the fact that the spray paint has "aged" since I painted the Helmet or if I used some technique when painting the helmet that I can't remember but it just isn't matching up all that close. It is definitely similar but not all the way there. I may wind up either just leaving it as is and hoping that time and weathering (both natural and artificial) will help even out the colors, or I may go the extreme route and try and do a minor re-paint job on the helmet where I tape off all the colored spots and just re-paint the metal coloring. Either way, it's not a huge deal, but I do tend to be a perfectionist and It would bug me to have an issue like that.

I also began to weather and put some slight detailing on the Chest plate armor.
355564931_145805758513688_1507542954871902010_n.jpg

This just involved me scraping it up with some sandpaper and taping off some sections to hit that black spot with paint (I do plan on doing the other side as well). I am also going to print large decals/stickers to go on the chest plate to put a custom logo on it, and I'll be doing the same for the shoulders when I get to them.

Overall, I'm happy with the overall outcome so far.

Also; I made a few changes to my 3D printer to help in printing. I changed the Hot end entirely out for a replacement since the old one was over a year old and the heat block's threads were starting to strip due to the heat weakening them. I switched out the tube. Finally, I added a Self-leveling device that (while being a headache to get to work right still) will save me a lot of pain in the future with bed leveling.

Finally, I have an opinion question. Based on the first post do you think the chest plate may be a little small? I've had plenty of friends agree and also disagree that the chest plate is a bit small. I continued with it because I just couldn't be bothered LOL, but I wanted to get some more opinions. At this size, it is pretty easy to move my arms, and I also feel like with the other stuff attached to my arms and everything else that it will look just fine in the end.

Finally, I have an opinion question. Based on the first post do you think the chest plate may be a little small? I've had plenty of friends agree and also disagree that the chest plate is a bit small. I continued with it because I just couldn't be bothered LOL, but I wanted to get some more opinions. At this size, it is pretty easy to move my arms, and I also feel like with the other stuff attached to my arms and everything else that it will look just fine in the end.
It doesn't look terribly small... Can you post a picture of you wearing it and a reference picture to compare it to?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back