Custom Spartan IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan119

Jr Member
Hey everyone, I haven't visited the forums in a really long time and as a resolution I've just decided to make today I want to get involved with the community online again. To start that off I'll be posting up the WIP and finished project pictures of my custom Spartan IV suit you might recognize if you've been to RTX or SDCC recently.

To start this off my suit has a pepakura helmet and an EVA foam body.
20131112_130946585_iOS.jpg

The plan was originally to have the torso be the Halo 4 variant of the Mark V set but as you can probably tell my scaling for it was way off. I'm sad to admit that I have had numerous instances of atrocious scaling leading to comic results. So after thinking long and hard I decided that I would make the Prefect chest piece instead, I had another failed attempt that would be absolutely perfect for a child but seeing as I'm 6'6 it looked completely ridiculous. On my third attempt I finally got it right.
20140119_231423739_iOS.jpg

Sadly I don't have a picture of the third version so this image is of the again too small second attempt. For the sake of not posting a ton of these huge fullsized images I'll leave the rest of the foam pics as thumbnails at the bottom of this post. I decided to go with Stalker shoulders and Halo 4's ODST suit for the legs and forearms.
20131113_133103912_iOS.jpg 20131126_220901688_iOS.jpg 20170130_193227000_iOS.jpg

Nice work! Is that the completed suit in your profile picture?

Yes it is, kinda. My profile is it's original completed form, but I have since updated the chest and arms. I'll be posting the rest of the build today, I just wanted to break it up into bite sized chunks so its not a slog to read all at once.

I bondo'd the helmet as per the usual but made the detail bits out of thick craft foam because I found it easier to achieve tall, sharp raised edges than trying sculpt the detail in bondo.

20140611_222700727_iOS.jpg

I brushed some resin over each of these pieces to try and strengthen them as well as prevent cracking in the paint.

Spray painted the base blue color and did the secondary color, tertiary color and accent marks with acrylic, gave ever piece a grime wash (black and white paint mixed with water to liking) and then added scarring on top with more acrylic.

20140624_040258847_iOS 1.jpg

The helmet has its forward facing recesses (Where the lights went on Chief's helmet) cut out and covered on the inside with a screen like material for air flow. The helmet is wired up to have two fans, one in the lower front in front of the chin, and one in the back. Both are wired to a pack of AAs, which usually have to be replaced daily if you want them running at max capacity. there are also a set of four LEDs wired up to a 9 volt which has only needed to be replaced once in the 4 years since I built it.
20140701_003618979_iOS.jpg 20140701_003603050_iOS.jpg
For the longest time I used a bicycling unitard for my legs and a motocross armored jacket for my upper body. All of the rigging was made out of basic straps parachute buckles and webbing from Hobby Lobby. The visor is one of the tinted sheets of thin plastic Stony Props was selling for a while, don't know if they're still making them. If they are I cannot recommend them enough. so much better than a hard visor. It never once fogged up on me and the tint is freaking gorgeous. They had a bunch of other colors that Impact props has used in their suits and they look fantastic as well.

Yes it is, kinda. My profile is it's original completed form, but I have since updated the chest and arms. I'll be posting the rest of the build today, I just wanted to break it up into bite sized chunks so its not a slog to read all at once.
Yeah that definitely makes sense. It's a lot more fun to see a build come together over time than one page of finished pictures

Here are some pics of the finished product, note that the battle rifle was not made by me but some incredibly talented person whose name I can sadly not remember on etsy.
20150315_213729970_iOS.jpg
20150315_213717850_iOS.jpg
20170130_161426000_iOS.png

After the *blam* show tonight I just don't feel like posting the rest of the build right now. This was a really interesting time to come back, but if any of you awesome guys and gals outside of the central Texas regiment FB page want to chat feel free to hit me up on Facebook, I'm the only Connor Sullivan in the Halo Props group on their. Hopefully things turn around here, but if they don't at least all of us who are just here to chill and make cool stuff will always have each other.

Not often you see Prefect parts in costumes these days! Your suit looks great.

Though it sucks that you won't be posting the rest :( I'll keep an eye out for you in Halo props.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back