Dark's Cqb Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark

Jr Member
I have been learning a lot from this community and have decided to try my hand at creating a CQB Helmet. I have been working on it on and off for awhile now. Below are some progress photos.

<div align="center">[/center][attachment=9587:1.jpg]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9588:2.jpg]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9589:3.jpg]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9590:4.jpg]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9591:5.jpg]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9596:11.jpg]

<div align="center"></div>[attachment=9592:6.jpg]

<div align='center'></div>[attachment=9593:7.jpg]

</div>[attachment=9594:8.jpg]

I accidentally sanded too much and went all the way through the paper. Luckily the fiberglass was undamaged. I will trim the loose paper and fill the hole with bondo.

[attachment=9595:9.jpg]​

Looks awsome what coulors are you going for. Just note that the CQB visor is really tricky ask some people who have made them on how to get a visor

Classified said:
Looks awsome what coulors are you going for. Just note that the CQB visor is really tricky ask some people who have made them on how to get a visor

Not sure yet. Maybe gray and black.

For the visor, I have a couple of ideas including using 2 visors and creating the trim to cover the seam between them or forming a clear piece of plastic and painting it following Redshirt's tutorial for Paint Your Own See-through Visor.

[attachment=9597:21.jpg]​

Last edited by a moderator:
about your visor... what ive seen done with some amazing results is that people have taken 2 visors, cut one to fit the design as an overlay... and the other would go under, uncut, as the base.

An easy way to get a working visor would be to get some visors that open faced helmets (cop biker helmets) use for windscreens such as the Zamp JS-1 Visors. They are generally longer and will cover the full face. They should also be thin enough to conform to the curvature that you need provided that you use weights and clamps when you go to glue them in. A bonus is that they are both cheap and compound curved!

Another way to do it is to get replacement face shield visors (hardware store, cheap!) and make a mold for the visor and start forming the shield over it with a heat gun working from the center outwards. You'll probably need some gold tint afterwards (Autozone) to mirror the visor.

That would be a good idear but in Australia we have half the amount of stores that y american's have so it is hard to find stuff. but luckly this guy lives in america

gold tint would be great but tint is really hard to apply to curved surfaces without getting bubbles ive been toying with the idea of aplying the tint first to a flat sheet then trying to form it

Thanks for the tips. I have many options to on how to create the visor. For now I have to finish making the helmet smooth. Once this is done, I will create the visor. Then I will add the details and blend the visor into the helmet. And finally paint it...... Still a long way to go. I will keep you posted on my progress.

fanaticladoomguy said:
dude what is that yellow stuff you are using for smoothing.

doesn't look like bondo
Maybe what Rube used on his ODST helmet master, Dyna-Delite?

fanaticladoomguy said:
dude what is that yellow stuff you are using for smoothing.

doesn't look like bondo

It is called Bondo's Professional Gold. It was the only one that I could find at the time.

Zonbi said:
I really love how your CQB helmet is turning out! It looks amazingly smooth.

Thanks. The visor should be arriving on Monday. I'm trying the Zamp JS-1 Faceshield. Hopefully it will work. Here is the link that I ordered the visor from if anyone is interested [ http://www.revzilla.com/product/zamp-js-1-faceshield-1 ]. In the mean time I am finishing the rest of the bondo to smooth the helmet. Once the visor is installed and blended into the helmet, I will start adding the details. I will post more status pictures next week.

P.S. - I fixed the cracks that were created when I sanded too much by cutting out the loose paper. I found that there was a void between the fiberglass and the paper. I filled the void with bondo and that solved the issued and also strengthen the area.

Dark said:
Once the visor is installed and blended into the helmet, I will start adding the details.

I suggest detailing first; that way you don't accidentally harm the visor while you are detailing.

This is defenitely not your first armour.
Looks so good!
i think a good for the visor was to vacuumform the visor with clear playcarbonate sheets and paint them with paints of the
ultimate gangster paint thread!
I already got the paints and a compressor, and the pistol is being shipped to my house right now.

But if it works it will look so cool!

you can also use that technique on every helmet!
just make the shape you want with papakura and bondo, or use polystyrene or somethin

Helmet looks incredible! I give you props on showing it off before it is fully complete. I cant wait to see the finished product, I also cant wait till I start on my own stuff. Should be within a week or so!

Chris Gold

Achille said:
I suggest detailing first; that way you don't accidentally harm the visor while you are detailing.

I'm only installing the visor temporarily to add bondo to the gaps to make it a tight fit. It will be removed when I add the rest of the details. I will use painters tape or electrical tape to protect it so the bondo won't stick to it. I will do a test to see which kind of tape will work the best.

Chip475 said:
This is defenitely not your first armour.

Actually this is my first time creating a Pepakura helmet or even a helmet in general. I have learned a lot from everyone on this form and I am utilizing the techniques and ideas I have learned including some of my own.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back