Darth Fett's Odst Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Fett

Jr Member
Hey guys. Starting off on my second armor (still can't post in the pepakura forums, lol :cautious:). Well, here's my start off on the WETA ODST Armor. Got the two hip plates, right thigh, shoulders, main chest plate, and the two chest pads (well, currently building the second one).

(I know this is on the wrong leg, lol)

Once I finish building them, I'm planning to coat the outside with fiberglass resin, then the inside with poly resin, kinda like PsBeretta did.

Well, what do you guys think so far?

Thanks alot man. Currently working on the Torso piece, so it'll take a while, should be done by sunday. Hopefully I'll have some pics up then.

Alright, finished the torso. Fits pretty well, although the neck guard needs to be cut a little to allow my head through when fiberglassed.

I'll have pics up tomorrow, hopefully.

Well the pads, if you really want realism, I'd make them out of cloth. If you look at the reference pics from the Halo Shorts, you'll see that their pads, are actually real pads, if anything I'd just use the folded pads as reference to making a real pad.

That's a good idea. I might buy some fake-leather or fabric material, fill the pepakura with cotton/some sort of filler and sew the fabric around that.

Any suggestions for the fabric/filler materials?

I'm thinking Cordura, the stuff they make military vests out of, it's durable, it's firm, as for the filler, I think the the same foam that people use for padding in their helmets. I'm going to start working on the padding soon, if you want pics or to talk about the ODST gear more just PM me.

@Arthraxis: Cordura huh? I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks alot man, you've been a great help so far. I'll be sure to PM you if I get into any trouble :p

@Sparthan HJD: Thanks alot man!

Yeah, Cordura is sort of I guess, like sandpaper in some ways, because you can get different types of 'denier' I believe, basically it's how thickly weaved it is and basically controls how hard it is, it's great stuff, really durable with a good double stitch job.

There's also a piece that didn't come with the Pep files along with the lower legs which are being made. But on the WETA suits there's a pouch that hangs just above the groin area at the bottom of the front armour.

Yeah, I've seen that. My plan so far is to get everything already made in pep built. Then I'll 'glass it all. Afterwards, the legs will hopefully be done, I can build the pouch from scratch, if anything, and then I'll do the helmet. I may swap up the helmet for a Scout one though, but I'm still thinking. Maybe make both :p

I've started on the helmet today and it's going fine, no small rediculous folds like in the shoulders. Speaking of those, how did yours fare? I gave up on mine after a bit, and I was also missing 3 pieces. I was thinking of either going in and attatching that whole area in the pep designer and reprinting, or trying to make them out of cardboard from reference pictures, I'm generally planning to create molds of the suit so I can cast the parts.

Ugh, the shoudlers were a total pain. I found that building the top, very complicated folds, first made it a little easier, as it was much easier to get my hand around the piece and the glue gun around it. Mine look alright, a little bent at the top, but I figure I can put some "battle scars" there and make it look shattered or broken.

I was also thinking of casting it. My friend's dad owns a hobby shop and has loads of stuff for it, but my friend is always MIA, so we never really get around to working on it :p

EDIT: Here it is:

*Bump I guess*

Well guys, I've officially finished building everything except for the gauntlet, helmet, and stomach pads (and the legs I guess, but there aren't any files :p)

So I started fiberglassing the torso details and stuff for some practice. I'll have pics up a in a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back