Dash's 3d print thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDashIVXx

Sr Member
Heyo everyone! I recently acquired a tevo tornado and am making a thread to show all my 3d prints, progress, a d eventually finished with paint and all.

Here are my first ever prints in pla. A spinning gear cube and a baby groot.
20190803_200309.jpg
20190803_200315.jpg

I also printed four of these gears that go around the screws of the leveling bed. Best thing ever!
20190803_200255.jpg

I have also attempted to print in PETG, but my last 5 prints have failed. The first two were printed at the full 260 degrees, but the fillament was oozing out the nozzle, so I turned it down to 250, but the next print still failed. I then printed at 242 and I think this is the ideal temperature for my printer, but j am still having an issue. Sometimes in the early layers a single short strand will stick up or out in random places. Also on my prints they get progressively worse the higher it builds up, and there are balls of fillament that somehow scatter all over the bed.
15648820271958206007034730322300.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on why this would happen? I stopped it about two hours in because of this. Most of the failed petg prints are because this happens and eventually it just gets soo bad the printer prints a hair ball of fillament and keeps going... I am not sure what to do yet, and was also wondering if I need to switch out my 0.4 nozzle to print bigger lines, or do I just change the size in cura. These small prints are taking an extremely long time for the petg and I would love to speed it up. Even if it sacrifices detail

Edit: the exterior support scaffolding stuff are printing great but the interior is why everything is sticking up it looks like...
15648824694567650570167821533228.jpg

Just because your slicer says you can print at a speed doesn't always mean you should. PETG likes hot temperatures and slower movement. PLA can be blasted out of a printer like a firehose but if you want PETG to have similar results to PLA you want likely half your normal print speed so that the material can properly be laid down and cooled.

I agree with TurboCharizard, I Print solely in PETG. At 40mm/s. PLA I can crank out 60mm/s prints. Also you want to tweak your retraction settings.

Since PETG is printed between 225-250° C in most cases you’ll want to lower your retraction length and up the speed. That ensures you’re printer isn’t leaving molten plastic in the melt zone during retractions.

Thank you thank you thank you all!!! I just had my first ever complete petg print and it is perfect! Printed at bed temp 77, nozzle 242, and at 30mm/s speed! You were an amazing help!
20190804_184446.jpg

Now my next question is, NobleTravis, how did you know it was going to happen and how do I prevent it? It looks like it is only on the outside but I dont know anything yet...
1564959264837391663290205381921.jpg

Welp... I had no problems before but now I am getting these again on the same print settings... early in too...
20190804_193315.jpg

Now my next question is, NobleTravis, how did you know it was going to happen and how do I prevent it? It looks like it is only on the outside but I dont know anything yet... View attachment 275260
[/QUOTE]

PETG has a tendency to ooze. You might want to modify your start script to include a nozzle wipe so it lays down filament before the print starts. That will usually drag off that ooze.

Woooooo! I am soo excited! The progress is great and I just cant wait to get this done!!! Thank you thank you thank you for your help with getting this started!
Sure it would be nice for everything to be round instead of somewhat octagonal, but I'm not complaining. The fact that it is printing good and coming out makes me very happy.
20190805_165956.jpg

Now what would be causing this? The prints have little hairs and clumps that poke out the side. It isnt a big deal because I can pick it off with ease, but it is still a thing. It
20190805_164403.jpg
also usually takes three tries to properly print. Because it likes to curl up it doesnt stick to the board, so I let it run for a minute, restart the print, and let the fillament weigh it down so it grabs, and o the third try it works perfectly. This was the case for all four peices. Oh well. It works for now.

Woooooo! I am soo excited! The progress is great and I just cant wait to get this done!!! Thank you thank you thank you for your help with getting this started!
Sure it would be nice for everything to be round instead of somewhat octagonal, but I'm not complaining. The fact that it is printing good and coming out makes me very happy. View attachment 275350

Now what would be causing this? The prints have little hairs and clumps that poke out the side. It isnt a big deal because I can pick it off with ease, but it is still a thing. ItView attachment 275355 also usually takes three tries to properly print. Because it likes to curl up it doesnt stick to the board, so I let it run for a minute, restart the print, and let the fillament weigh it down so it grabs, and o the third try it works perfectly. This was the case for all four peices. Oh well. It works for now.
Filament not being laid where it’s supposed too and being dragged over to the next layer. Probably from a semi-failed support.

Yup, stringing and possibly a few blobs but it's hard to tell with black on black.

If there isn't a failed support like NobleTravis said it might just be a matter of dialing in your retraction settings for this type of filament. If you want to stop the hairy prints bump either your retraction speed or distance up a little but based on your images it's not very frequent and can be cleaned up easily with a knife and some sandpaper.

Sadly, we have had our first failed print since the printer was dialed in...
15653556737325294399948903624948.jpg

Sure I'm disappointed, especially since it happened right after I fell asleep, but I think at this stage I'm just more anctiouse to get back into the build and have more successful prints because I am very happy so far!
20190809_085001.jpg

I am going to purchase some of the gaff tape and cotton so I can start reprinting as soon as possible, and maybe invest in a silicon sock and other things I am forgetting to mention depending on how my opinion changes later.

Sadly, we have had our first failed print since the printer was dialed in...
View attachment 275767
Sure I'm disappointed, especially since it happened right after I fell asleep, but I think at this stage I'm just more anctiouse to get back into the build and have more successful prints because I am very happy so far!
View attachment 275766

I am going to purchase some of the gaff tape and cotton so I can start reprinting as soon as possible, and maybe invest in a silicon sock and other things I am forgetting to mention depending on how my opinion changes later.
If you’re a 3D Printer this becomes a thing. Woke up to a mess myself. You’ll get it together I’m certain!

If you’re a 3D Printer this becomes a thing. Woke up to a mess myself. You’ll get it together I’m certain!
Yup. As long as it doesn't jam spaghetti into the fans and clog up the hot end it's just another day in the life. We can take measures to minimize the chance that prints will fail but you can never be 100% so you might as well roll with it.

Cool. Before I do anything, I just want to clarify that I can put a silicon sock over the cotton with kapton tape. I have seen many people say that they only use the sock, but Amazon said to put it over the cotton and tape. Any suggestions/preferences? I dont know if it would fit over. Looks like it is built to fit the block and not the block with a little extra thickness if you know what I mean

I dont know what to do... I got my socks in and I removed most of the fillament covering the hotend. I now cant get the heatblock(that's the thing with the lines right?) Down any further and cant take the tube with the threads that the heatblock slides over out of the hot end...
20190817_151221.jpg

the videos and tutorials I have seen skip how they do it and so far no matter how much I turn it it wont loosen out... :unsure:

I dont know what to do... I got my socks in and I removed most of the fillament covering the hotend. I now cant get the heatblock(that's the thing with the lines right?) Down any further and cant take the tube with the threads that the heatblock slides over out of the hot end... View attachment 276374

the videos and tutorials I have seen skip how they do it and so far no matter how much I turn it it wont loosen out... :unsure:
Sounds like you have some filament in the throat

Sounds like you have some filament in the throat
What do I do? I cant unscrew it because it is stuck and it doesnt help that the part I need to unscreand is round. I can5 get a grip on it. there is nothing wrong with the block with lines on it, no fillament jam or anything that would prevent it from sliding in...

You might want to trying hooking the heater cart & thermistor up to it. Cranking it up to 230° and see if you can use some filament to push out the clog.

Let it sit at that temp for a good 3-5 mins to make sure it’s nice and melty in there.

If you have a bit of purge filament set your machine to +10° over your last used filament printing temperature and then feed a bit of purge through to clean the tip and then pull to snag any chunkies that may be blocking the inside of the nozzle. Wash, rinse and repeat two or three times until you're not getting any more crud.

If you don't have purge filament, look at doing a few cold pulls.

Depending on how bad it is it might be time to pull out the nozzle, hold it with some pliers and blast it with a torch to burn out the crud. Or just replace the nozzle entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back