Dash's 3d print thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... that's the problem. I havent dialed it in, and I havent changed anything since my first working prints for the most part... it just started printing cleaner. I am still getting leaks and problems on the edge, but it is nowhere near as much as it was, and I will take it!
Who is the make of the petG?

Well this sucks. I am currently four hours through my cleanest print ever, but I didnt realize how much fillament was left. I burned through the whole spool, and I now have only a foot left of fillament. The print has about eleven hours left to print. With the hurricane coming too, I have to evacuate tommorow morning. I dont have another spool of petg to feed through, and if i were to pause it till after the hurricane, i would loose my progress because a power outage is innevitable... D:

What is awesome though is I only have to print three more peices of the dmr, plus the magazine and scope(plus the peice that I dont have enough fillamentleft to finish). It is looking amazing and i already started gluingsome peices together with JB quick weld. Holding up good, but some peices lifted off of the print bed leaving some good gaps. I will do what alpha did with his 3d prints and use superglue and baby powder to fill in the seams.

This thing is huge and may as well just be a sniper rifle. It is around four feet long. 1:1 scale
15673656936096683179448611277003.jpg

Not sure how to react to that post... "almost done with the dmr... have to evacuate..." hmmm

Good luck man, and be safe. You can always redo the dmr, can't always go back and evacuate.

Well this sucks. I am currently four hours through my cleanest print ever, but I didnt realize how much fillament was left. I burned through the whole spool, and I now have only a foot left of fillament. The print has about eleven hours left to print. With the hurricane coming too, I have to evacuate tommorow morning. I dont have another spool of petg to feed through, and if i were to pause it till after the hurricane, i would loose my progress because a power outage is innevitable... D:

What is awesome though is I only have to print three more peices of the dmr, plus the magazine and scope(plus the peice that I dont have enough fillamentleft to finish). It is looking amazing and i already started gluingsome peices together with JB quick weld. Holding up good, but some peices lifted off of the print bed leaving some good gaps. I will do what alpha did with his 3d prints and use superglue and baby powder to fill in the seams.

This thing is huge and may as well just be a sniper rifle. It is around four feet long. 1:1 scaleView attachment 277230
Aren't bull pups fun!! I just guestimated the area were my power outage left off and started it at that point in Cura. Loctite fixes all woes.

What percent infil are you using? I mean I go through a lot of filament, but it sounds like your are using a lot for a DMR.

Lookin good though!

I'll check when I get a chance, but I think it is %8
Oh that’s fine. With a few walls it should be able to withstand normal use. I typically use 10% for most things, and rarely go up or over 15%. Really it’s only if the item needs more rigidity or strength.

Update. I started using j.b. quick weld on my parts while I wait for more fillament to arrive. Even though we luckily didnt get hit by the hurricane, almost at all, Amazon wont deliver till Monday. Also pray for the Bahamas. They ended up getting it real bad.

15677215548505317627373894566219.jpg

I dont know if you can see it because my camera is bad, but this really shows off the warping. I have most of the gun assembled in three big peices, but I dont want to move any further yet. The right side of this peice is flush and glued perfectly. The left and middle you can see where the peice curled off of the heat bed, leaving a gap because the edges arent flush. I can almost fit a penny in the gap of the far left seam, and I feel like only a small part of the adhesive is holding it together. It is still strong, but I am worried if put under any more stress it will break since there isnt alot holding it together(because it cant grab the other peice the gap is so big).

I also tried doing what alpha did and mix baby powder and superglue, but since I dont have something silicone to mix it on, it instantly cures instead of making a putty. I may just end up using bondo on it all to hopefully find in the seams and strengthen it. I dont want to reprint though, but I will if i have to. I also had two peices break off, but it was because the adhesive failed and tore off the plastic. I then realized I forgot to sand it down to give the weld something to hold onto...

Oh well. I'll see what I can do

I also tried doing what alpha did and mix baby powder and superglue, but since I dont have something silicone to mix it on, it instantly cures instead of making a putty. I may just end up using bondo on it all to hopefully find in the seams and strengthen it.
I tried applying the same principle in regards to filling in my seams but did it a little differently. I don't know if this is a correct way of doing it but I put my super glue into the seam and threw on some baking soda to instantly solidify it. If I needed to fill the seam more, I just put more super glue and baking soda in the seam.

Your prints came out pretty smooth! It's looking good!

I tried applying the same principle in regards to filling in my seams but did it a little differently. I don't know if this is a correct way of doing it but I put my super glue into the seam and threw on some baking soda to instantly solidify it. If I needed to fill the seam more, I just put more super glue and baking soda in the seam.

Most of these cam out good, but was all spaghetti on the outside. I just removed everything with teasers and it looked fine. I tried doing that method, but the problem is that there is so much unfilled space that when I fill up the void, when I add the superglue it doesnt get down in there. It only hits the edge and cures that rock hard

You can also try using some dowels for strength. Drill out a few holes and drop in some dowels, should really pump up the joint/strength

I almost have a visceral reaction when I hear about someone using baking soda as a filler/accelerant for super glue. Baking soda reacts to high humidity. If you and your projects will forever be in Nevada (wink) then this is probably not a problem. The issue is that superglue looks solid, but is actually porous. And eventually, the baking soda will absorb enough moisture, and it will become a bubbling goo that will ooze out of the superglue filler. If you need a cheap bulking agent, try pure talcum powder (none of that extra scented stuff, or corn starch). Frankly, I either use just more superglue and accelerant, or if the seam is very large, I stuff scrap bits of the same material being glued together into the seam, ie. styrene for injected kits, PLA rafts and supports for 3D prints.

Wow. I have been gone from this thread for a while now...

Hi everyone :) I have been making lots of prints and being somewhat productive, but I am not posting any just quite yet since they are either not finished (glue, paint, assembly) or it is a secret for now on a project i dont want to spoil yet...

I did however, partake in the RPF secret santa this year, and just shipped out my first completed 3d helmet. It was rushed but i think it came out fairly well!
20191217_163618.jpg

It is supposed to be a boba fett helmet from Mcquarries concept art

I am honestly getting bogged down. I had a print fail and the nozzle is still scraping the top layer of petg. I cant get it dialled in and am having lots of problems. Over the past few weeks I have been messing with it and doing lots of research. Tried using three leices of paper instead of one to get a good magical height for petg, but felt like there was jo difference. Everytime I got close something else would happen and I never quite got to the fix of the first problem. I changed all my settings and spent an entire day trying to get just a single good first layer with no success. Wasted slot of fillament, and even though I did everything correct and even tightened the tube to the nozzle to prevent a gap, fillament still leaked out the top of my heatblock. Probably another ruined nozzle too... I am about reald to ron Swanson my printer into the dumpster. I am going to take a break

Do you use a glass bed by chance? I've been meaning to pick one up because I've also had bad adhesion, leading to knocked over supports, warping/scraping the top layer (and pulling it off the bed), etc. Granted, I haven't had quite as many issues as you have, since PLA is so much easier to print with, but adding a raft for pieces that use lots of small supports might be worth your while. Failed prints really suck, and when there's a potential for one, I don't mind the extra "insurance" that a raft gives by keeping the supports from falling.

Do you use a glass bed by chance? I've been meaning to pick one up because I've also had bad adhesion, leading to knocked over supports, warping/scraping the top layer (and pulling it off the bed), etc. Granted, I haven't had quite as many issues as you have, since PLA is so much easier to print with, but adding a raft for pieces that use lots of small supports might be worth your while. Failed prints really suck, and when there's a potential for one, I don't mind the extra "insurance" that a raft gives by keeping the supports from falling.
I have a glass plate with blue painters tape over it, and sometimes I add hairspray. I also use a brim to better anchor the peices down. I think nocking the peice over may have been my fault as there were some balls of fillament collecting on top of i tall and skinny pole that was printing, and I may have loosened it when trying to remove them. Adhesion has not been a problem in the past, but I fell like it is shrinking and pulling itself of the bed or just not anchoring down now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back