Designing armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GentlemanFinn

I like to browse the forum and looking at All the armors, but i dont want to build a halo armor. Over the years i have been playing with foam and other materials trying out different ways to combine them and have found that foam and expanded pvc work well together.

That is why i have been trying to design an armor og my own, but have been running into some problems.

I want to know how you would begin a project like this. I have some drawings and i take the parts i like and start over. At some point i will have a final design ready (maybe never). If it comes to that i need to make a pattern and all that.

My first thought was to start with a helmet and foget about the rest. I was considering using a styrofoam head and building the helmet with paper mache or something. Clay is not an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I'd make a 3d model and unfold it using pepakura.

A few years back I made a "Guyver" Costume by making a couple of 3d models and unfolding 'em through unregistered pepakura. Boy, that takes me back...

Designing your own 3d models to be unfolded can be tricky: as some of the 3d modeling techniques to save processing time can unfold in rather funky ways. You always have to be mindful of how your model should unfold.

I would not start with the helmet. That is the focal point of a suit so you'll want to build up some skills before attempting it. I'd start from the bottom and work my way up.

For material on a project like this I'd recommend cardboard and duct tape. Quick, easy and cheap. It will give you a really good idea of what the armor will look like before making it in foam. Plus you can sketch on the cardboard to get ideas for the details. Good luck, Finn.

thanks. the cardboard idea isnt bad. ill try that. the reason i wanted to start with the helmet is that it is a smallish pease compared with an entire suit. its easyer to throw away if it dosnt pan out. it is just as much an exesice in technique as a desire for a finished product :) in time im going to reach a point were i have the design and the technique in place and that is when i am going to make an atemt on a full suit of armor. rigt now i am just looking foward to make the drawing come to life so to speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back