Destiny Warlock by Bio Cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a short tutorial on how to paint bone. The format I wrote it in is for Facebook, but hopefully it works here too. (link to facebook album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1714751908746332.1073741855.1493335377554654&type=3 ht) I also have some pictures of the Warlock from Dragon Con that I'll be posting soon

I’ve had some people ask me how I painted my warlock armor pieces to look like bone. So I’ve put together this short guide to how I did it! There are numbers that correspond with each pictures to help you follow along. TL;DR Paint it white, then slap some brown and green on it!
The pieces I’ll be showing are made out of foam floor mats. To seal these, I brushed on ~4-6 coats of mod podge, then sanded it smooth (I mainly use 220, and 400 grit for this. Sometimes 150 for rougher spots). After sanding it there tend to be a few visible brush strokes, so to minimize those I go over it with 4 coats of plastidip. Next primer. Now, on to the painting process!
To start out, I used a base coat of an off-white spray-paint (pic 1.) I believe the brand I used is Valspar? But any off white paint should do.
Next I went over that with a brown wash (pic 2). To make my wash, I just mixed some brown and a little bit of black acrylic paint to get a dark muddy brown, then added water. This was brushed on and then wiped off with a paper towel. This just makes the white a little more brown and gives it a bit of depth (pic 3 and 4).
Now it’s time to start on the details! For the details I use dark brown, light brown, and olive green acrylic. I just mixed brown/black/green/burnt sienna to get the shades I liked. I start by painting in detail lines with the dark brown. These lines are either cracks, edges, shaded sections. Paint on your detail line (pic 5), then wipe it off! Some of the paint should stick and look like a faded broken line (pic 6). Continue to paint your lines! (pic 7 and 8) Always reference pictures for what you’re trying to make, it helps.
After my detail lines are there I begin to do some shading. To do this, I dry brush layers of dark brown, light brown, and green. For dry brushing, get some paint on your brush, wipe most of it off on a paper towel. Usually I’ll put down the dark brown then lightly do some green, and finally light brown to highlight the dark brown and tone down the green. I will also sporadically go over my details with green and dark brown to give them a bit more depth (you can see the start of this in pic 9 and more in pic 10). Mainly, you want quite a few layers with varying colors. The layers will help give it more depth.
For these shoulder pieces I added some running paint. For that I put some paint in the area I wanted the paint to drip out of, then added water with the brush until it began to drip and let that dry. (pic 11 and 12)
Finally I did some splattering just to break up the white. For this I put some watery paint on the brush, then flip the paint off the bristles. (pic 13 and 14)

1-1 unpainted with watermark.jpg1-2 brown wash with watermark.jpg1-3 wash wiped off with watermark.jpg1-4 wash vs clean comparrison with watermark.jpg1-5 detailed painted on with watermark.jpg1-6 detail line smudged off with watermark.jpg1-7 more details with watermark.jpg1-8 more details with watermark.jpg1-9 More details with watermark.jpg1-10 drips example with watermark.jpg1-11 drips and shading with watermark.jpg1-12 dried drips with watermark.jpg1-13 how to splater with watermark.jpg1-14 splatter detail with watermark.jpg

1-10 drips example with watermark.jpg

1-9 More details with watermark.jpg

1-8 more details with watermark.jpg

1-7 more details with watermark.jpg

1-6 detail line smudged off with watermark.jpg

1-5 detailed painted on with watermark.jpg

1-4 wash vs clean comparrison with watermark.jpg

1-3 wash wiped off with watermark.jpg

1-2 brown wash with watermark.jpg

1-1 unpainted with watermark.jpg

1-14 splatter detail with watermark.jpg

1-13 how to splater with watermark.jpg

1-12 dried drips with watermark.jpg

1-11 drips and shading with watermark.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This post has me floored!
The way you make foam look like bone is flawless. After my current build I have full intention of doing a warlock myself, and I'll be happy if mine turns out half as rad as yours.

Here's some pictures taken at Dragon Con!

12001019_10206422995125809_863478084424563493_o.jpg (photo taken by Blake Faucette)

11987055_10102270215986172_3804186672136742160_n.jpg11822531_10102270216061022_463003818323120663_n.jpg (these two photos taken by Matthew Hale)

11215513_957684787603013_4540184945505967606_n.jpg(photo taken by BriLan Imagery)

This is probably one of the few completed Destiny cosplays here on the 405th. Or at least from what I've seen. Awesome work man, totally digging the paint job, looks like real bones!

Hello, I'm almost finished with the helmet for my Warlock so I decided I should make a thread for it. The helmet is the Skull of Dire Ahamkara. The plan is to make the Deathsinger's Mantle to go with it.

For the helmet pattern I got this foam file from AtombombStudios on etsy. This item is unavailable | Etsy

I modified the pattern for certain parts and didn't use it at all for others(the horns, teeth, jaws, visor thing?, tubes on the jaw), but it served as a very good starting point!
Nice looking helmet, my wife made one with a friend and loves playing as a Warlock

Well hello there TecnicoNinja, looks like someone is working towards their 50 post requirement ;)

While this costume is very cool the last reply on this thread was more than 5 years ago. This is considered "necroposting". This pushes new content down and brings up old threads. Sometimes the OP hasn't been back on the forum for quite some time.

Sad to see but in these cases it's better to admire the work put into it and go on to the next awesome build thread. Other than that: welcome :)

1614759568164.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back