Destiny Warlock Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Song

Hi, everyone! I'm a pepakura newbie looking for a little advice on making my first helmet. I've read through a good amount of tutorials and threads today, but I still have a couple questions that I didn't see covered in what I've looked through. First off, when scaling a pepakura model to fit my head, is there a recommended amount of space that I should add for padding? I've also got pretty long hair that I would need to stuff in the helmet, so should I take that into account as well when scaling?

My next concern is breathing. I've never worn a full helmet like this before, and I have to wonder how difficult it is to breathe in one. Is it easy to get enough oxygen in these helmets? Any advice or reassurances in this department would me most appreciated!

For those curious, I will be tackling Light Beyond Nemesis (unfolded by the lovely NoMaybeYes), because I apparently always have to go for the biggest, most complicated thing I can find on my first time doing a thing.

Light Beyond Nemesis Pep Screenie.png

Hi Orca Song,

I can't directly answer your first question, I'm new too, but having made something that was obviously too small, I just started again setting things slightly larger and it looks like I'm at a good space. The biggest issue I've found is that the sizes you get in Pepakura are for the whole project so you need to take some additional spacing anyway. Looking at your helmet the wings at the side will throw any measurements off to begin with. Maybe just pick a size that seems about right and just print of a small part of the helmet that would give you a good idea of the size (size your project, save, select say just the back of the helmet, drag the parts onto a separate page, print just that page). That way you might waste an hour and 1 or two A4s of paper but you get a good idea of the final size before spending hours on hours to build the entire helmet.

As for your second question, I'd be interesting to hear what people who have finished theirs have to say about it. The helmet I'm building has breather slots in the design at the front but for looks, not functional. I'm thinking about making them functional much like a motor cycle helmets.

Good luck on your build!

Ah, I didn't even consider the wings... Thanks for that, Mux, I'll definitely keep that in mind and try your suggestion. I had already printed a copy out and started cutting out pieces before I officially joined the forums, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be way too small. But, if nothing else, it'll be good practice for my next go around so I know what I'm doing. I think that I'll be able to get an idea of how much bigger I'll need to make it from there, too. Thank you for the good luck wishes, and the same to you!

to assist you in sizing the helmet, you can use the the measure between two points tool in pepakura. after you have unfolded the piece, right click the 2d side of the screen, use this tool to see if the piece is sized close enough to your dimensions.especially with a helmet such as the light beyond nemesis. measure from ear to ear and get your measurement and compare to your physical measurement from ear to ear. then just pick other spots to see if the height is good and the depth. its a few more steps but you can get your helmet sized closer to what you need than just winging it with the height sizing. remember that when resined the helmet will shrink, and you probably also want to put padding in the helmet so add an inch or two to the scaling. if you feel you look boble head just wait until you see it with the rest of the armor and more than likely it will not be boble headed. but to big is to big as well then it is a judgment call for you.

For the breathing in helmets i've never had much problems as most of the halo helmets I've built have rather large breathing slots incorporated in the design. However you might consider adding a small fan somewhere where it might not be noticed. It might sound bizarre, but I've heard it helps with breathing and keeping your head cool.

I saw something about adding a fan in one of the introductory posts I read, and it makes a lot of sense. With me living in the Florida heat and humidity, that's something I should definitely try to figure out how to do. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can come up with. Thank you!

I cant wait to see how the model turns out! I still havent gotten to build any other helmets yet, this one included.

I cant wait to see how the model turns out! I still havent gotten to build any other helmets yet, this one included.

Ah, it's the master artist himself! Good to meet you! I hope I can do your work justice. There are a couple areas that I'm a little confused on. On the 721 area in the picture below, I'm presuming that itty-bitty little tab there on the right is supposed to be glued under the side on the left, but that seems like an awfully small gluing area! There are some pieces that I've seen with even smaller distances between the cut and the tab. Should I tape those areas instead? I know I read something about tape not going well with resin, but I don't see how I can glue those places.

Pepakura piece.jpg

Thanks, I cant wait to see how it turns out! For that tab, and more likely than not the others, you dont have to mess with that line at all just keep it as one whole piece. if you look at it on Pepakura its a small piece just above the left eyebrow (i'll leave a zoomed in image below). You can see where the cut should be by the small gap on the part. However that gap is so small that you shouldnt have an issue at all. If you want to cut it and get them close thats up to you, but I didnt see the need. In my later unfolds I found a way to hide that kind of stuff.
Capture_zpsph6cnuye.jpg

Thanks, I cant wait to see how it turns out! For that tab, and more likely than not the others, you dont have to mess with that line at all just keep it as one whole piece. if you look at it on Pepakura its a small piece just above the left eyebrow (i'll leave a zoomed in image below). You can see where the cut should be by the small gap on the part. However that gap is so small that you shouldnt have an issue at all. If you want to cut it and get them close thats up to you, but I didnt see the need. In my later unfolds I found a way to hide that kind of stuff.
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u641/NoMaybeYes/Capture_zpsph6cnuye.jpg

Oh, okay! That's good to know. I think I may be set to tackle this thing once I finally get all the pieces cut out now. I'll get back to you once I'm done, and thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back