Die Cut Machine recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMP Props

Member DIN
S114
Thinking about buying myself a die cut machine for xmas before I get started on my next suit, can anyone recommend which to buy? Do they work with pepakura designer? Any advice is appreciated...

When I was looking to get one, I stumbled across this site that compares them fairly well: http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

I chose the Silhouette Cameo and I love it. I chose the Cameo because that seemed to be the most popular in the paper crafting hobby. Cardboard-warriors has a sub-forum specifically for Silhouette, they publish cutting files for many of their products, etc.

It's great for what I'll call large and medium cutting. Armor and weapons like you see on here, I'd consider large. You run into a little bit of an issue with very small parts (I'm talking like you'd have on a 1:144 model or something). The issue is that the blade (which is similar to the very tip of a normal x-acto knife) has a little trouble making sharp turns. It doesn't ruin anything but it may not make a very sharp corner.

I think it's cut a ton of time off any of my paper crafting projects. The Cameo comes with it's own software that you use to define the cutting path which you can do manually (by say, tracing an image) but you can use Pepakura in the process. You can export the image (in .bmp form, for example) and the cutting path from Pepakura and then import them into the Cameo's software. You have to do some scaling but it was taking me about 2 minutes per page to create files that could be printed and then cut automatically by the Cameo.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks, yeah I ended up buying the cameo, I love it. It was installed and ready to go, cutting pieces 20 min after unboxing. So easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back