Difference Between Alternatives To Resining

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeySB93

Hey everyone, I had been looking at everyone's progress, looking at ways of resining, and one thing still doesn't seem clear. Other people haven't answered it I don't think either.
First, the hot glue method. The dude who posted it said if you fall in the armor and it breaks/tear you can simply heat up some more hot glue and fix it. That's a slight inconvienience. It seems like how he said that, he was implying that if you fall in the armor, it will break easily as opposed to normal fiberglassed armor which will not break easily. I would like to be able to hot glue it, then not be able to have it break so easily. I would like to be able to resin it with the truck bed liner on both the inside and outside. Is that a possibility?
Second, the truck bed liner method-it said not to just spray the inside I believe. Is it not possible to like resin the inside and then spray it?
That's kinda what I want to do, but I am unsure if it's possible, as I do not belive it has been answered in the threads for their methods.
I tried using the search engine and, unfortunately it doesn't like me very much. :p

Simple truth: parents won't let me. I'm planning on using the hot glue method and the truck bed liner method, but I would like some things cleared up first.

using just hot glue, or just resin will never be that strong, the purpose of both methods is to reinforce the armor so it can be fibreglassed. if you cant afford/ dont want fibre glass then those methods will make the armor strong enough to wear and it wont be as flimsy as paper/cardboard but you cant really do anything in it, the stuff just isnt that strong. i believe the stickies do say what i just said
edit: from what i just read the same applies to the truck bed spray, its an alternative to resin, not fibreglass itself

okay, i gotta clear some stuff for you.

The hot glue method is NOT the most effective way- its a cheap and fairly (not totally) durable way to reinforce your armor. Even Frost will say its not completely strong.

Truck Bed liner is not strong either, its meant to weatherproof trucks, and Frost will also say its crap by itself, but combined it is fairly effective.

Resin is NOT COMPLETELY DANGEROUS, and you CAN use it, outside it is safe for you, use the safety guidelines and dont end up like me and going cheap (im without the respirator, i can tell you its not worth the scent burnt into your nostrils)

tl;dr- resin/fiberglass is safe to use, as long as you work safetly and DONT MESS AROUND. it is very tricky to use, and if you get it on your hands, get laquer thinner and clean it off (both things are carcinogens, so its a gamble) otherwise it is very sticky and dosent wash off easily.

go tell your parents this- if you want strength, use the resin and be careful while you use it, and make friends with auto body workers.

The hot glue method, from what I hear, is pretty strong. Not as strong as fiberglass of course, but pretty strong (so long as the weather is not too hot). You can glue in cardboard into the inside of the piece and coat it with glue to further reinforce it. Then prime/sand it, then spray the truck bed liner (look at Crossfire's helm).

Honestly though, as long as you use some common sense, resin and fiberglass aren't too dangerous. Get a good respirator, lots of latex gloves, and some glasses/goggles. Put all of it on before even grabbing your materials, and put EVERYTHING away and clean up before removing your latex gloves and trashing them all in an outside trash can. Then get back inside, wash your hands, and then you are totally safe to take off the respirator/goggles. I'd recommend changing clothes if you were working with fiberglass. Get it washed and you're all set. Like I said, be careful, use common sense. Tell this to your parents, maybe they'll let you :D

this is what i used:

I just used smooth-cast 300 ($25 for the trail kit). I never had to fiberglass and i jumped right to casting with out the cost of the mold. Best thing it was completely harmless as in no respirator, gloves (i would recommend it ripping plastic out of your hairy hands is a pain)

IMG_2726.jpg

I'm gettin mixed signals here, :( But, I guess maybe, idk I want to use the fiberglass method, that seems to be the standard. Oh, I've been wanting to know just exactly how strong it is. I'm not doubting it, it's more of a curiosity thing.

okay, look at any non-steel sports car. suburus are a good example. thats how strong fiberglass is. look at boats, look at certain camping equipment, and look at my thread.
its very strong stuff, and it wont break, ever, if you are good enough at applying it. The bondo is the part you need to worry about, because thats not indestructible.

oh and by the way, polyester resin in and of itself is incredibly weak, but its meant to go with the fiberglass, so that makes it insane strong.

i wouldn't say poly resin is weak because you can easily sit on your helm with out any problems. Spase posted a video of him siting on one of his caste (hopefully he will chime in and post the video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back