• I TOTALLY SAW IT TOO D00D!

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Your'e nuts.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I Suspect Conspiracy!

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Your'e lying, this can't be true.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Photographs or it hath not transpired.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithslayer78

I thought I'd take the time to note something a bit weird in Reach (Besides AIs Driving you off of cliffs). So far this has happened to me twice, and I was wondering if you have seen anything of the sort... This has happened to me once on Tip of the Spear and again on the Pillar of Autumn. So anyways, here is how it goes.

You enter the "scene" and start fighting. In the corner of your screen you catch a glimpse of a gold EVA helmeted elite holding a concussion rifle. HOWEVER, after about 10 seconds of fighting it, it disappears. JUST DISAPPEARS. No active camo fade out, it is just gone. I have one picture and ill try to get the videos on my file share, but has anyone else seen the like of this?
Tip of the Spear:
reach_9279708_Full.jpg

Pillar of Autumn:
(TO BE RENDERED)

Attachments

• reach_9279708_Full.jpg
    reach_9279708_Full.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,375
could just be a glitch, maybe a misplaced spawn-point or something. The or...

BUNGIE IS WATCHING YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its called a BOB. Bungie put them in and no one knows why. Some people think that if you kill them all you unlock the legendary ending.

so basically, you have to have a rocket or sniper to take them down? IF you have a 10 second time frame... that's pretty tight.

so basically, you have to have a rocket or sniper to take them down? IF you have a 10 second time frame... that's pretty tight.

Yep. I missed the one on Tip of the spear but luckily, the one at Pillar of Autumn was right after a checkpoint so after numerous restarts, I finally took it down with a sniper.

I've killed tons of them, they're an easter egg, and they're called BOB. it's a marathon reference. BOB can teleport in and out of combat. Bungie.net has a counter of how many a player has killed.

I've seen numerous BOBs in the game so far, but I'm not sure if they have any correlation to a special ending. This is one of the cool things about Bungie that my one friend and I could go on for hours about - the in depth secrets that they put into the game. We decided that, as well as the Marathon reference, the BOBs could be a reference to Bob O'Donnell, the Voice of the Terminals (source: IMDB). On the mission where you have to defend Halsey's lab, after the defending is complete, you can actually get into Halsey's lab - Sort of like a Halo Tribute Room. Upon accessing of one of the databases, the Voice of the Terminals plays a few sounds, which are actually voices backwards (I've tested and confirmed this, examples such as: "Protocols Reinstated" and "Breach Identified" are said during the playback). All in all, quite interesting, and if anyone wants to hear it, I could upload it. But back to the BOBs, there could be many references to the origin of the name, but what is known is that while Bungie puts everything secret there for a reason, the true meanings are not yet understood.

Thank you for reading that, I know it was a semi-off-topic rant, and I could add the backwards music to 4shared if anyone wants to hear it.

Wondered for a while why I couldn't shoot this guy, everytime I saw him and lit off a shot he vanished; Thought it was just another elite, guess not. Thanks for the tip.

The name BOB goes back to Marathon, stands for Born on Board.

Stats on Bnet show them as Ranger Class Elites if you kill them.

So far nobody's found any connection between a legendary ending and killing BoBs, especially since the locations in each level can be random.

Here's a thread on Bnet keeping track of locations, if there's any discoveries it will probably get posted in here:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49058984&viewreplies=true

Ive killed a white on "ONI SWORD BASE" a couple of times. Im not sure if its a Bob but if you don't get to him in a few seconds he runs off. Sometimes he wasn't even there.

I read that these "Bob's" are not a reference but an enemy vehicle unit pulled from the game at last minute, driven by powerful elite making it a pain to destroy the vehicle they drive. It also said that it reads as "Elite Light Vehicle" when you kill them (explains the vehicle) and that they disappear because of the player passing a checkpoint.

I don't know how true that is especially because of the poor grammar it was written in on that thread lol.

At the same time though, it does rad BOB in the enemy killed menu.

EDIT: here he his, found in the "(Spoilers) Secret Collectibles/Killables/Pushables (Spoilers)" thread http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=750780

for a B.O.B. to appear you must kill EVERY high ranking ELITE....

Found that out myself....

on winter contingency the ultras that you kill before getting in the civillian truck 'hog cause a B.O.B. to appear at random locations on the mountain

Bungie has said something about the Bobs and points score on campaign and hinted at something else but IDK what the other thing is......

they are called bobs i cant remember what bob stands for i think its born out battle

the most sucsessful count and the most been detected is 78 and they are rumored to be key to the fabled legendary ending to reach

Had a random Elite Ultra appear on night fall. He was the first Kill I got (Did the silent kill on him). on the Next ridge where you can snipe everything if you grab the Camo. I picked my BOB off of the catwalk, Screen said "Seek and Destroy 1/8"took all 4 sniper shots to the head to kill him, first one was to the head the rest I double tapped. (note: this happened twice. He appaeared in the same spot and I was ready as soon as I saw the Elite Ultra at the beginning of the level.) I have seen one on Winter Cont. He jumped off the third Dropship, armed with two plasma pistols, but I didn't have the firepoweer to drop him. He "Jumped" before I could finish him.
Just stating what had happened, unknown if this would coincide with anybody elses experience.

In all actuality I have found BOBs will spawn in one of two places on Winter Contengenancy. On heroic if you drive by the first covie infested house thats right after the bridge were the moa run by you. You will keep driving and go by one of the two locations of where you can pick up the troopers that are in trouble. Go past that barn and keep going right after that you should have a nearly clear view of the troopers. While going look left and a BOB always comes out. The other one i forget abotu -_- But yeah it alway appears if you do that.

Ive killed a white on "ONI SWORD BASE" a couple of times. Im not sure if its a Bob but if you don't get to him in a few seconds he runs off. Sometimes he wasn't even there.

I read that these "Bob's" are not a reference but an enemy vehicle unit pulled from the game at last minute, driven by powerful elite making it a pain to destroy the vehicle they drive. It also said that it reads as "Elite Light Vehicle" when you kill them (explains the vehicle) and that they disappear because of the player passing a checkpoint.

I don't know how true that is especially because of the poor grammar it was written in on that thread lol.

At the same time though, it does rad BOB in the enemy killed menu.

EDIT: here he his, found in the "(Spoilers) Secret Collectibles/Killables/Pushables (Spoilers)" thread http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=750780
The B.O.B. on ONI: Sword Base is white with any type of elite armor, and typically dual wields Plasma Rifles. It's especially hard to find.

Ive been hunting them for a while, and they are pretty tricky, but i always catch them, I wonder if B.O.B. hunting can be a sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back