Doc Dailey's Wetwork Helm Pep build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Hey there 405th,

So I'm just coming off of getting my ass kicked by a failed sculpt build. I figured to get some confidence back I would do something equally interesting by doing a bad ass Wetwork helm.

Do will be pep'n, molding, and making copies of a very detailed helm. If anyone is interesting in a copy (purely to defray costs of the build itself) please let me know when I'm all done. It is set for a 26in circumference opening. ( I don't have a big head....I just hate trying to cut my ears off trying to get a helmet on!!!)

This is what I have so far: (and if you've followed my other builds, you know this will be quick going)

407876_10151323935054894_741754315_n.jpg

264630_10151323935554894_381403729_n.jpg

I do have a cool plan for the visor and being able to see out of this friggin thing, so stay tuned!!!!

lookin good so far! keep it up, I just got the file yesterday, but I don't really like the helmet that much. But hey, your only 1 of 2 people who are doing it so far :)

Ok guys....I can't seem to find the damn thread here that explained how to paint a visor with an air brush......Where the heck is it?!?!?

Edit by L3X - Watch the language guys, keep it clean.

That Pep-work looks amazing, all nice and clean with smooth fold.. superb work there Doc!

I'm just starting out with this sort of stuff; I pepp'ed 2 Frag Grenade's, 1 ODST Helmet 1/2 done using Tape to stick them together.. (Not fun o_O and definately not strong enough) and I have another ODST Helmet that is somewhere around 80% done the Pep'ing process.

However I'm finding that Hot Glue sticks to your own finger's and is somewhat of a pain to be clean and tidy with, however strength wise I really couldn't ask for more. :D

I just have a quick question if you wouldn't mind being as so kind to answer or help me out with, I was looking at your Pepwork for your helmet and it just looks so darn clean, especially when you look at the back (Inside of the helmet) - you can't even see any glue or tape atleast that I noticed. I was wondering what your method for putting the Pep together, Thanks for your time and consideration! Keep up the great work!

:D First time seeing someone work on the helmet I modeled! Hope to hear all things go well with it, as well, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the visor.

-subbed

This is it!! Thanks guys!!!

I was wondering what your method for putting the Pep together, Thanks for your time and consideration! Keep up the great work!

I use "Locktite 5 sec hold super glue professional liquid". Sold at Walmart, or Home Depot for $5-6. It is toxic stuff and you need to wear a respirator while working on it. It WILL mess your lungs up. So be careful, but it is far superior to any other method I've come across. Not saying other methods can't achieve the same effect, I just chose to go this route. Thank you very much for all the nice comments. I appreciate it.

:D First time seeing someone work on the helmet I modeled! Hope to hear all things go well with it, as well, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the visor.

-subbed

Statyk, Thank you for doing such a great job with the model for the Wetworks helm. There are a few areas where the pep file was stupid and made extra flaps for no good reason, but the whole this is great! I hope I do ya proud.

I'll have some pics up by tomorrow of the finished pep. I spent all day trying to figure out air brushing and cutting the 27pages of the helm out. I hate pep......I love pep......ugh!!

UPDATE: EPIC FAIL (2nd project fail back to back)

So the circumference of the helm is the same as my Recon helm.....bad news is that they are not proportional to each other.....Meaning it's too tall to fin any persons' head....at all. So I need to go back and restart this project. That's 18 hours I'm not getting back anytime soon. Ugh!

P1030975_zps97b42937.jpg

P1030977_zpsef31c34a.jpg

P1030978_zpsa45c6b48.jpg

P1030979_zps05cdb450.jpg

I'll have more pics up of the re-sized head in a bit......I gotta get my pride/ego/confidence back in shape.

NOTE: 302mm height is WAY too high. Wish I had checked that 3 days ago.

Really? I have my height set at 300 for most helmet files, and that is just right for me.... That news sucks though, I was really hoping to see you finish that helmet! Hope your next try works out!

Really? I have my height set at 300 for most helmet files, and that is just right for me.... That news sucks though, I was really hoping to see you finish that helmet! Hope your next try works out!

Kyre, I'll finish it. Just at the right size. I've already reprinted the helm and am already at work. The only problem is that the head hole is way too small.....so it's going to have to be a 2 piece helm eventually.

To illustrate my failure at 302mm in height for this model:

P1030981_zpseac79cfc.jpg

lol thats a bit big...im hoping to start this helmet soon. im going to do an unfold for foam and try that

Huh, that did turn out huge for 302mm. That is a trip, I have Clayton Carmine and Benjamin Carmin both height-scaled at 300mm and they fit like a glove... Anyway, what is your plan for seeing out of it? That little strip can't be anywhere near enough to actually use, can it? Haha

Be advised, some of the Halo 4 helmets won't fit on a real human's head. The recruit helmet's visor for example would be too tight for most people, it's so sharply angled.

Then there's the visor problem with some of them... It's as if 343 was trying to challenge the costuming community ;)

this helmet i can see an issue with the visor but the recruit i have not had an issue with

Then you either haven't used the proper scale, or the templates weren't 100% accurate.
The ingame helmet will not fit on a human head, the cheek bones would clip through the visor.

dont wanna hijack this dudes thread but i built mine at 290 mm and it fits great got some room the some padding to make it really comfortable.

You guys crack me up.

First, I have 3 plans for the visor. Only one of them involve seeing thru the actual visor.

This helm will hold a human head just fine,(I hope) but like in the game it isn't in one piece. If after I get thru this next pep run we can have an exact answer. I plan on cutting it in 2 pieces.

I've already gotten the pep visor cut out. Give me a day and we'll see.

D: Bad news bears! When I modeled it, I noticed in the game, the bottom of the helmet basically rests against the spartan's neck, and in reality, if you want to take it on and off, a hole that big would be impossible considering your head is larger than your neck. So I took an ODST helmet made here (made by someone named Rundown) and pulled at the bottom of the model. I essentially tried to fit the width and head opening to match the ODST helmet so it could be taken on and off like a normal helmet... I figured if the ODST helmet fits people, mimic that. Is anyone else having this fitting issue? Because if need be, I can try going back and fixing this model.

I'm sorry it's giving you fuss ]:

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TIPS ON MODEL SIZING AND PEP SIZE PREFERENCE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. NO ONE HAS TOLD ME BEFORE, SO THIS WAS MY FIRST GO AT MAKING A HALO PEP HELMET! TIPS ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH THE HELMET WOULD BE GREAT AS WELL!

D: Bad news bears! When I modeled it, I noticed in the game, the bottom of the helmet basically rests against the spartan's neck, and in reality, if you want to take it on and off, a hole that big would be impossible considering your head is larger than your neck. So I took an ODST helmet made here (made by someone named Rundown) and pulled at the bottom of the model. I essentially tried to fit the width and head opening to match the ODST helmet so it could be taken on and off like a normal helmet... I figured if the ODST helmet fits people, mimic that. Is anyone else having this fitting issue? Because if need be, I can try going back and fixing this model.

I'm sorry it's giving you fuss ]:

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TIPS ON MODEL SIZING AND PEP SIZE PREFERENCE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. NO ONE HAS TOLD ME BEFORE, SO THIS WAS MY FIRST GO AT MAKING A HALO PEP HELMET! TIPS ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH THE HELMET WOULD BE GREAT AS WELL!

Statyk,

With only a few locations where there is extra flaps, the pep model is just fine. In reality the helm will HAVE to be like an IronMan helm, meaning you can't get your head in without it being in pieces. Which is ok, but will take people a minute to scale right. I am almost done with my size testing pep work, so I'm holding my breathe. I'll post pics later today of what I've figured out.

Doing a foam head for this might be an easy way to go, but I'm going to make a mold and do a limited run of this, so foam is out of the question for me. Besides, I'm going to go crazy on the micro detailing. (hopefully)

Update to come.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back