does this polyurethane resin look off to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Star

Jr Member
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post , I couldn't find a general topic area to post to.
At the monent im in the process of making a helmet from an anime called akame ga kill

Uk based here*
I brought this 1kg polyurethane resin from ebay yetersday , usually I buy my stuff from Mb-fibreglass but this is from a seller named marrican.
33wsbyp.jpg

noticed as well it takes much longer to cure than saids 20 min > 3 hours
also a nasty bubbled finish where half the time its hollow inside and just crunches.

I take it either a cheap batch or im just doing this wrong .

Whoa... what's with the beige at the bottom of the one bottle? Is that solidified, or does that part slosh around when you flip the bottle over?

Just a quick glance at that, looks to me like one part of it may have gone bad. Seems like the seller had this sitting around for too long.

As a general rule of thumb, one should use any two-part casting resin he/she buys within one year from the date of purchase to avoid that.

show in the image it was bottled and last till OCT 2015.

The beige stuff doe mix fully back into a mixture , Again only ordered it 3 days ago .
They replied Blaming my ignorance on the room being to humid or poor mixing , I have a Gram scale and a dehumidifier to counter this argument.

Only other thing is with other bottled resin i've had do this, The beige content Is it at least 50/50 from the other solution inside , But this has 1/4

Oops, I missed the expiration date in the pic. I don't read sideways too well, lol.

That's some awesome customer service on thier part, blaming you (the customer) for the results. I can tell they really go the extra mile for customer satisfaction :unsure

Anyway, I've exclusively worked with Alumilite two-part resin myself, and on occasion have had a little bubbling occur on the back of the casting but never like you described.

Sounds like you've got the same setup as I do with gram scale and dehumidifier, which has always worked well for me, so I think you may have simply gotten a bad batch.

Have you tried anymore castings since you discovered this? What it is you're trying to cast, if you don't mind my asking?

This can be closed now

Attachments

• akame_ga_kill_bulat_helmet_pepakura_wip_by_sodiryfe-d8187n4.jpg
    akame_ga_kill_bulat_helmet_pepakura_wip_by_sodiryfe-d8187n4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back