Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Sean Bradley, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Sean Bradley

Sean Bradley

Hey all.

Adam requested that I pony up the technique I used to make the Blue Realm style Dual Layer visors for my helmet, so I thought that I should share it with all of you. Being that I've been a little behind... on finishing the comprehensive tutorial, I figure I owed you guys a freebie...

I think it's common knowledge how it's done, But I know that it's pretty intimidating taking a Dremel to a brand new pristine visor without seeing it done by someone else.

Also I wanted to officially thank Blue Realm for pioneering this technique. I had thought about doing it, but didn't have the guts to try until I saw how great his looked. Hope you don't mind Blue Realm, it's in your honor, and you deserve the credit! :clap:

Firstly I purchased two identical gold visors. I buy mine here : http://www.helmetsetc.com/detail.asp?product_id=rst-19

Then I took a sheet of printer paper and taped it to the visor so that I could trace the exact dimensions of the visor and the exposed area of it when it is installed in my helmet. I took this sheet of paper back off the visor and roughly sketched the shapes of the recessed areas using game images as a reference. I then scanned this image into my computer and straightened and cleaned up the design of the template in Photoshop... which looks something like this:

template.jpg

I then printed the template out at full size, and taped it to the inside of my visor. Then I very carefully traced this pattern onto the face of the visor using a oil pencil.

With the pattern transferred to the visor, I used a Dremel rotary tool with a REINFORCED CUTTING WHEEL to very very carefully cut the patten out. Don't use those awful standard cutting wheels to do this, they will snap apart and fly all over the place! Be very patient and try cutting just a little at a time carefully avoiding any skipping or scratching of the surface, and also be very careful to not overcut at the corners.

cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

After I had cut all the lines there was still a little bit of plastic holding the pieces in place. I used a fine scroll saw blade to hand-cut these last little attachments.

cut4.jpg

After seperating the cut out areas of the design, I carefully trimmed off the flashing around the cuts, and used 120 grit sandpaper and a fine file to clean up the edges. Be VERY careful when wiping dust off of the visor, because this abrasive dust will scratch off the mirrored finish. Use compressed air, or wash it off under a faucet.

cut5.jpg

Then just place this cut out visor overtop of the uncut one. You may want to neatly tape the two together at the edges before you install it in your helmet.

Enjoy!

cut6.jpg

Helmet-3.jpg

-Sean

2. Chewdog316

Chewdog316 Well-Known Member

So that we dont screw things up.

1. Is that template accurate enough to scale and use.

2. Will there be another tut despite the depth of this one.

3. link4044

link4044 Sr Member

nice tut

4. Sean Bradley

Sean Bradley

That template is proportional to the visors that I use. I guess you could scale it up, but I encourage everybody to draw up their own.

Another tut? You mean the comprehensive one that's unfinished in the ONI section here? Yeah, it will get finished when I get the time. But my free time is being spent on working on helmets for a few of the members here. That comes first. ;-)

5. link4044

link4044 Sr Member

still kick azz

6. Ostrich

Ostrich Jr Member

Man that looks fantastic very very cool, thanks for sharing the technique with us hopefully i'll be able to do that on my visor (soon going to build an MC helmet :mrgreen:).

7. SPARTAN 053

SPARTAN 053 Well-Known Member

Sean, very nice and simply put. Hope Link dont mind but i might have to install one of these in mine :mrgreen:

8. link4044

link4044 Sr Member

you can do whatever you want to it....unless i find the shields cheaper im not going to put them in my helmet unless would pay more

9. Afro Devin

Afro Devin New Member

wow that looks great, it helps alot

10. Iceman29

Iceman29 Member

Very understandable tutorial ;-)

Nice Job

11. Long Shot

Long Shot Member

Very nice tut. i think i may try this on my paintball mask since i have a spare lense

12. airgunfreak

airgunfreak New Member

that is really nice helm like that....

13. malcomtidus

malcomtidus Jr Member

Pure Awesome Tut ;D

14. Chewdog316

Seans the best!!

15. rmitch

rmitch New Member

Thanks for the info Sean. Do you use the HJC Gold visors? I was going to order them and use your technique.

Sorry. I missed your link. :$ops:

16. link4044

link4044 Sr Member

i think he does

17. Spartan 270

Spartan 270 Well-Known Member

Cool tutorial.

18. Chuck 126

Chuck 126 Jr Member

Very cool stuff with an awesome result.

Question: what is the width of an HJC visor (horizontally). I'd like to try this but I don't know if it will fit in my helmet once it's finished.

19. Chewdog316

I have two diffrent helmets and i have found, (my experience) that having a bigger visor, for at least the base visor underneath the overlapping visor, is better than having a smaller visor.

Just a tip.

20. Sean Bradley

Sean Bradley

I recommend using two of the same size visor if possible.

I dunno Chuck, you're using Pepakura right? I'd advise you to go buy these ASAP, so that you can accomodate them into your design. It's alot harder to try to find a matching visor for your custom made helmet after the fact. And if you match them up at the patterning stage, they'll just fit much better afterwards.

I could give you the measurements later this evening when I get home from work... but it's probably not an adequate substitute for having one in-hand while you're building.

21. brainiac

brainiac New Member

22. That Guy

That Guy New Member

man this tutorial was awesome, good job sean, are the visors in your helmet, gold from the factory, or did u tint them,

question--??-- so the better tutorials go in the ONI section, hmm, how do we get granted access it says i cant go in there, damn, section 3

23. Sean Bradley

Sean Bradley

Yes, gold from the factory... you can't do mettalization like that at home.

The ONI Section has an unfinished tutorial that I started a loooong time back, and haven't had time to finish.

How to get in is listed here: http://www.mjolnirarmor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=917

24. TheBlue

TheBlue Well-Known Member

I hope to see that tut one day ;-)

But very good job on this one.

25. blinkava44

blinkava44 Well-Known Member

haha i no how you feel

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017