Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *WIP

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by PerniciousDuke, May 24, 2016.

1. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer Division Staff

Now it's all looking more and more interesting! :D You finally can put more and more parts on which is most exciting I'm sure! :D
    And that helmet looks really good! :D

And yep, I agree. Many people use foam on helmets, hell, I've been able to immediately spot foam pieces on helmets that have been cast and sold! :D
    It's rather common I'd say and yep I remember the Prometheus helmet - but I don't remember if I ever commented there... o_o It looked great!

And yeah, sanding is always troublesome... I was sanding my helmet like a madman so half of the skin on my finger got removed in the process - not the whole skin to get to flesh, just that outer layer of the skin on top, so the younger and more sensitive skin was there. XD Oh, the joy of sanding. :D

2. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Oh the joy of owning an orbital sander and room to make a huge mess........

Schankerz and PerniciousDuke like this.
  3. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

CommanderPalmer - Super exciting to finally put parts on. Definitely noticing what you were talking about being considered with bruising. This stuff is not forgiving.
    PS: I wear cheap disposable gloves while sanding. Helps save that first few layers of skin. :cry:

Dirtdives - power tools! *ahuhuho (<---Tim Allen manly sound) I've never been very good at that. :unsure:

little Progress:

Primuur!
    20170619_164720_zpsngz6ftmb.jpg
    Highlights all the little mistakes. So I'm going to spot putty those. I'm also going to take your advice mblackwell1002 and do the details on the sides of the visor out of foam. I almost lost my cool trying to make them with bondo.

I bought all my paints for the suit too. I'm hoping three cans of each will be enough. Grey Primer, silver hammered for chips, white base, orange secondary and matte clear for sealing. I'll do the weathering with acrylic craft paints.

20170619_165529_zpst86vknos.jpg

Opinion time: What do you guys think of the "orange"? Does it fit with the Halo orange? I didn't want something too bright, but this one almost feels too brown. It will have quite a bit of black and silver weathering.

spartan_male_laser.jpg
    Keep in mind this picture has a bit more red in it because of the weapon blast. And it has orange as the primary, whereas mine will be secondary (mainly the shin/knee)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
    Schankerz, Crimmson and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  4. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Do a test with all of your undercoating on a scrap piece first then you can determine if the orange is too bright. Also keep in mind that a darker orange will get even darker looking after weathering.

And if you power tool isn't enough just re-wire it. Hou-hou. LOVE Tool time Tim!!!!!

Schankerz and PerniciousDuke like this.
  5. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Dirtdives - Good idea, I'll just paint a piece of cardboard or something.

Update: If anyone is wondering why they got tagged..I just updated the armor file links in my first post and gave credit to the modeler or unfolder whichever was available. The only one I couldn't find in the armory was your Carter helmet Crimmson I feel like it might not of been uploaded because there use to be multiple Carter helmets and they might not have thought there was a need. I can give Art the file if you're okay with it. I feel like yours was quite different than the others and definitely deserves a place for others to see.

I've also updated the links for the materials I am using.

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Nice job duke. Helmet is looking snazzy. I too am doing an orange armor is ne one do the builds.... I don't think that orange will be too bright especially after black washing

Edit - sorry didn't mean to attach that file. Thought I deleted it

Attached Files:

Dirtdives likes this.
  7. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Yep.....even a broken clock can be right......twice a day at least.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  8. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Good...for you?

Yeah I think foam would help retain your sharp edges as well. I see that rondo makes it easier to coat your helmet, but I notice you aren't really retaining you sharp edges.
    you could do lots of foam detailing and take it to the next level.

9. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Lol. I fixed it. Thanks.
    Do you mean straight edges? Things made out of metal rarely have sharp edges otherwise they would cut people. Every edge should be rounded. But, the pep process does have difficulty maintaining straight edges, that's what files are for. And thank you for your motivation to do better. At this point though I just want to get it done (without rushing). So any fixes with foam will be done after it has been finished. I just spent an hour last night making those side visor details out of foam and they turned out terrible. Not excited to learn a new medium and buy more tools/supplies. :/

Also, this is something I want to avoid:
    It's that "immediately spot" part that worries me. I'm going through a lot of trouble to make a helmet that is not foam. Yeah, I may get sharper lines, but if it is quickly recognizable as foam then I feel I am negating the work that I'm doing. Down the road if I get a chance to improve my foam-fu then I may pursue it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  10. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Then 3D print details. :) Doof. ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    PerniciousDuke and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  11. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Ha I almost said something similar lol *whisper*-- "3D printer " :)
    but my novice modeling skills would have a hard time. So I didn't say it lol but......I see that little thing begging to be used for something
    Sorry duke just giving ya a hard time ;)

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  12. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

mblackwell1002 SI3RRA 117

You mean like with my new 3d printer!
    20170604_225938_zpsrh4wenvb.jpg
    ... That I have no idea how to use? :oops:

That was my plan, but again I'll add them on later. I really just need a suit, guys. :cry:

Schankerz and Dirtdives like this.
  13. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Haha that reveal reminded me of the price is right....... "and a brand new car!" And I don't really know why?? Alright duke so helmet looks pretty dam good as is right now. Where's the next piece all done in primer?

14. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

I don't suppose anybody noticed the "scratch pad" on top of the desktop PC? I mean, that's totally normal, right?

15. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Too funny :lol:

16. Crimmson

Crimmson

Sure if you got it. That file i pulled it myself and found it to be way different especially in the nose area. The carter is by far my favorite armor. I built that helmet and gave it away to my friend noe along with a noble 6 helmet.
    I got something cooking on the burner an other mash up. This time from reach and halo5 hopefully it comes out good but i am stuck at work.
    Good luck on your build.

17. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Well we all know that PerniciousDuke has a strange scene of humor........Did you model for that yourself Duke? Or is that part of the HALO calendar you proposed?

18. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

I am a big fan of the price is right so I will take that as a compliment. :) I miss Bob Barker. :/
    Well, I have been bondoing and sanding the parts that I have here and there. I've also still got some pep to do. But, for now I am going to focus on finishing the helmet, like 100%. I need something to pave the way, where I can show myself what it can look like and give me some motivation.

Yes.. Totally normal.

Ooo... I will keep my eyes posted to your thread. :)

I'm pretty sure every one has a strange sense of humor, to you. :p
    And I keep telling you... it is not a nude calendar!!! Tastefully provocative calendar.. with Spartans... fully clothed.. or armored I guess. :unsure:

Moving on:
    I've started the painting process. I don't like half paint jobs so I will post again once fully painted. Here you can see that I am using the Vaseline method over top of the silver that I have painted. Thanks to Thom A293 for the push to try it. Very happy with the results.
    20170620_175549_zpshb4snudj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  19. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

It is coming out super sweet.....mblackwell1002, we need a word beyond amazeballs or Papeesheewoosh......even w/ the Vaseline........:eek:....

SI3RRA 117 and Schankerz like this.
  20. Schankerz

Schankerz

The helmet is looking quite spiffy! I'm very excited to see it painted soon!

Also did someone say nude calendar?... :p

Dirtdives likes this.
  21. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Ha, I don't think it's that good. Is there even anything better than Papeesheewoosh? I'd be happy to get that.

Okay, here's one showing a painting trick I use...trash bags!
    20170621_102715_zpsxgky47sf.jpg
    And... If anyone compares me to a duck... I will kiss you. It would make you feel as uncomfortable as it would for me to be called a duck. (*I can already hear DD saying, "must resist urge to comment..." lol)

I'm just trying things here guys and galls. Might end up changing the bill, but I'm not really a fan of it being painted black like most versions of it. It is almost hard to tell it is even there when it is black.

No Schankerz PG-13! jeez. :)

Crimmson and Schankerz like this.
  22. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Geeesh this is all going south pretty quick :lol: lol maybe the printer pic was a bad idea :p I like that orange ... I didn't see that color at my Walmart when I was looking. Otherwise I would have probably grabbed that one

23. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

24. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

You're blasting through painting awfully fast, eh? What else is gonna be orange?

And there is no greater word than Papeesheewoosh. The only word that comes even close is Asumandramaticanim, and even it cowers in the name of Papeesheewoosh.

SI3RRA 117, the printer pic wasn't the bad part, it was PernickolasDooke that was weird to have that...thing.

SI3RRA 117 and Dirtdives like this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Ok that word is not in your dictionary......which hasn't been updated in a while. The pad doesn't faze me a bit......what ruffles my feathers is that he paints the section of the helmet, which is called the bill, orange and expects me not to comment on it......Sorry Mr McScrooge, I won't say another word........ giphy (8).gif

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017