Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may suggest, only if you want to redo the piece... I had the same problem - I'm quite short too and I was left either with bit too tight or too big thigh piece. What I did for myself, I scaled it so that it would fit my thigh length-wise and then I just added more cardstock inbetween on the inside to make it wider and to fit properly...

And I totally understand the issue with Bungie models as they always did bit wrong anatomy and such... while 343i makes legs impossibly long and thin... XD Come on, we are just normal people, not your perfect 3d models...

If it helps, here is a photo of how I widened my thighs. Scaled for length and here you can see in the inner thigh a piece of cardstock that pattern-wise doesn't fit with the rest of the thigh. You can even see the red markings on it as it was a misprint for markings...

thighs1-jpeg.23123

That is a wonderful suggestion and I would have taken you up on the idea if I was not this far along with it. Armorsmith does allow the ability to scale only one dimension of a pdo file, but I am not familiar enough with how it prints .pdos and whatnot to switch over completely. I'm hopeful that I can make the thigh piece work. If not, I'll definitely be trying your method.

Progress:

The good weather is still here so I had to get some more work in! And good thing too because it just started raining today.

These are the pieces I have to work with, in need of one more coat of rondo on the outside.
20170607_163748_zpsbkccz505.jpg

Now they've all been rondo'd and since my workarea is prone to theft when left unattended (I had my landlord walk off with my thigh piece that I set in the grass as I collected the rest of my equipment to work on for the day! It was there for like 30 seconds with my work shoes and my stool and she walked by, grabbed the thigh piece and almost threw it away!:mad:) Anyways, since I had to sit out there while they finished drying I decided to get some more bondo on that helmet. It's really starting to take shape. But, the chin/nose area is really hard to bondo, so I'm a little nervous about that.
20170607_184004_zpshb49gffc.jpg

And for those of you wondering how I keep track of the materials I use (posted in my first post of this thread). I just tally them up like this each work session/day.
20170529_135956_zpscdg5lq9s.jpg

Why do I do this? That is probably because I'm crazy. Or because I'd really like to know how much time and money I've put into it when I'm done. It'll probably detour me from building another one...until I think of all the corners I could have cut. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah......I agree w/ your first assessment. Your crazy. Everything is looking super cool. As far as the landlord is concerned........he probably wants to keep the area "litter" free.....to someone ignorant of cosplay.......he might have though this stuff is just garbage that someone left there......what happened to the balcony workshop?

Nah......I agree w/ your first assessment. Your crazy. Everything is looking super cool. As far as the landlord is concerned........he probably wants to keep the area "litter" free.....to someone ignorant of cosplay.......he might have though this stuff is just garbage that someone left there......what happened to the balcony workshop?
Yeah. The balcony workshop actually got an upgrade, but I can't use it for anything that smells bad or is loud. So mostly bondo work and hand sanding which I am quickly approaching.

I never really think about what others do for work space......I guess I'm just spoiled. I have a basement area for myself.....a full size shed/workshop.....and a backyard. I sprayed some foam pieces last night and just left them under my gazebo to dry overnight......still there this morning. I wish I could lend you some space.........or at least an interdenominational pocket where you can work in peace.

I never really think about what others do for work space......I guess I'm just spoiled.
What do you mean you never think about it? You made a whole thread asking people to post pictures of their workspaces like a year ago! :rolleyes: Lol. Once I get a picture up of my new balcony I'll track your thread down and post in it. Until then your kind, inter-dimensional, thoughts are appreciated.

Nice progress. First your car being stolen and all. Then pieces of your armor almost in the dumpster. It's like one disaster then almost another :eek: ..... lLook like you've got some pretty tricky sanding on that helmet of yours. I find it hard to keep the sharp edges sharp and even. I just don't have the patience I tend to rush the sanding part

Don't forget about leaving a weapon in that same stolen car....before it was stolen of course.....and it bent due to the heat. And no PerniciousDuke I did not start that thread about work stations.....That was Fangs...regardless only a few replied and obviously those were of ones that had room.....you on the other hand, no longer have that luxury.

Last edited:
That was Fangs...
2000 posts and its starting to show. :p Fangs did one, but you did one first months before that... Work area

But yes, I've had some mishaps SI3RRA 117 , but when you drag out a build for as long as I have been it is bound to go awry. I'm just happy I'm able to continue working on it. Just noticed the other day that I hit one year on this build! (I did move, so that put a hold on it for several months). But, I am hopeful that I will get it complete by this Fall.

Sanding is all about patience. And power tools! :D

Not a whole lot of progress, but I'm in the bondo phase for most of my pieces so now it's just about getting out there and doing it.

I knew I wouldn't be stoked to work on a barren balcony and I wanted a place to store the pieces I'm working on to keep them dry. So I bought flowers, pots and some wood to make flower stands.
20170610_144114_zpsgambt1jm.jpg

Also helps balance out my nerdy hobby. :)
20170610_160154_zpsfcijkxed.jpg

Including the flowers, flower pots, wood, screws and paint I made all this for under $200
20170610_160229_zpszymdr5i6.jpg

And for those of you Portlandia fans.... I put a bird on it.

I also decided to try to get the pieces on so I can start planning modifications and my strapping system. It is really hard to move in this stuff.
20170610_155352_zpsmgekivbu.jpg

I'm not happy with the bottom sides of my chest piece. They cup up like I'm trying to catch rain water or something. I think I'll cut them out entirely and run a wide webbing through them with buckles at each end. Then I can put my chest on like football shoulder pads.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. The silhouette of these pieces are the best that I could have hoped for with my body type. I even have room to lift the helmet up a bit to give me some more height.
20170610_155635_zpscnjie5cn.jpg

Last edited:
Duke, looking great.......I'm a bit concerned w/ that storage container you have selected for your build........If that things leaks even a little, I wouldn't want your suit to get water damage.

Not a whole lot of progress, but I'm in the bondo phase for most of my pieces so now it's just about getting out there and doing it.

I knew I wouldn't be stoked to work on a barren balcony and I wanted a place to store the pieces I'm working on to keep them dry. So I bought flowers, pots and some wood to make flower stands.
View attachment 244883
Also helps balance out my nerdy hobby. :)
View attachment 244884
Including the flowers, flower pots, wood, screws and paint I made all this for under $200
View attachment 244885

I also decided to try to get the pieces on so I can start planning modifications and my strapping system. It is really hard to move in this stuff.
View attachment 244886
I'm not happy with the bottom sides of my chest piece. They cup up like I'm trying to catch rain water or something. I think I'll cut them out entirely and run a wide webbing through them with buckles at each end. Then I can put my chest on like football shoulder pads.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. The silhouette of these pieces are the best that I could have hoped for with my body type. I even have room to lift the helmet up a bit to give me some more height.
View attachment 244887
Uh-oh dude...those tabs on the top of the shoulder pieces are supposed to face directly upwards...are you going to fix it?:oops: Or did you make them separate?:cautious: In which case, I should not worry.:p
Looking nice so far, helmet is looking very Papeesheewoosh as well. Cool beans!

Last edited:
Looking good:cool:. Got my boys to sit down and we watched all the halo live action trailers. We watched the birth of a spartan and it made me think of your build. Showed them yours - they were impressed. I think they're finally realizing just how much work it is to build a complete set of armor.

Thanks everyone!

I'm a bit concerned w/ that storage container you have selected for your build.
But, but, it has cute birds on it. :( No you're right. Not the most waterproof. I actually sealed it pretty well with paint, glue and lots of brads, but the front 1/4" thick wood door warped... so it has a big ol' rain hole right in the front. But, it's not meant for long term storage. Just overnight inbetween working on it so it has a chance to get rid of some odor before coming in the house.

Uh-oh dude...those tabs on the top of the shoulder pieces are supposed to face directly upwards.
Yes, Cherry pointed that out to me too... They ultimately will be covered by the shoulder pieces, securing them in a different way, so I am not worried about it.

that balcony workspace is simply spectacular, it gets an upgrade every time I check in! Next time I expect to see a slide and refreshments stand!
I would love a soda machine up there. Great idea, Schankz!

Looking good:cool:. Got my boys to sit down and we watched all the halo live action trailers. We watched the birth of a spartan and it made me think of your build. Showed them yours - they were impressed. I think they're finally realizing just how much work it is to build a complete set of armor.
A labor of love, my friend. ;)

Progress:

Covered it in spot putty and sanded with 320. Boy, is she lookin good. :) (hard to tell when it's not one solid color)

20170613_233803_zpskrgurgdy.jpg

Still some minor dings to fix and a couple deformed spots I'll have to figure out, but I'm almost ready to paint it. I decided I'm going to finish the helmet before trying to do more bondo work on my other pieces. Still quite a few to pep too. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back