Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I'm so stoked about my progress tonight that I had to make a post before I went to bed.

First, I have to publicly thank Crimmson for this unfold (located in the archive). It is by far the most challenging pep I have done and I can't imagine how difficult it was to unfold. For me, the challenging part is all the little alcoves. I've done other helmets that have had things like recesses for lights, but this is way more.

One of them I wanted to show how I handled it because it was a tricky part. I didn't realize, but the nose/mouth guard protrudes from the helmet while still connected to the helmet. This means that it would be very hard to get resin inside of it, because it would be nearly fully enclosed. So I cut a rectangle out of the back side. This will allow me to resin it better, but it also gave me more finger room for the gluing process.
20170128_135335_zpsuzjckjvf.jpg

This picture shows how it is connected, but separates itself from the helmet. I'm very excited about this. I now plan to drill holes near my nose and mouth for easier circulation and with the guard in front you won't see the holes.
20170128_140234_zpsjxgodovm.jpg

But here it is, very close to completed! I couldn't be happier with the size.
20170129_021208_zpsgetiqgan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! It's SO close now! I can't wait to see it finnaly finished, even if it's taking a wee bit longer than you thought it would. ;)

Keep up the awesome work!

well, this seems familiar to me...where could I have heard about this before..?;)
excellent work, Duke! gluing all those valleys together looks like a pain in the be-hind, but you did very well!
almost done!

very clean, very well done! you need to give us some awesome display shots of this thing!

Thank you PerniciousDuke

I am glad you like the helmet. Most of the other Carter helmet files dont have the the front nose guard like that or the lid. I made the side comm piece to where it fits inside the aclove. I think that is the file you used, one of the reach mash ups as i called it.

Your pep work is awesome by the way

Last edited:
Yes! It's SO close now! I can't wait to see it finnaly finished, even if it's taking a wee bit longer than you thought it would. ;)

Keep up the awesome work!

Well, I was going to file my taxes today, but since you asked so nicely and have been so patient I guess I could finish the helmet instead. It has nothing to do with how fun *cough* taxes are. ;)

well, this seems familiar to me...where could I have heard about this before..?;)
excellent work, Duke! gluing all those valleys together looks like a pain in the be-hind, but you did very well!
almost done!

very clean, very well done! you need to give us some awesome display shots of this thing!

Display shots? Does that mean you're already getting tired of my ugly mug in the photos! :p So far the bathroom is the only well lit place in this apartment, but I will see what I can do.

Thank you PerniciousDuke

I am glad you like the helmet. Most of the other Carter helmet files dont have the the front nose guard like that or the lid. I made the side comm piece to where it fits inside the aclove. I think that is the file you used, one of the reach mash ups as i called it.

Your pep work is awesome by the way

Thank you! I was curious where you found/referenced the model? because in the game Carter doesn't the bill either. I love it though. The bill, thanks to our MC, is such an icon part of the Halo helmets that I think this version really benefits by having it.

Nice work Duke, you're moving right along!

Thank you, kind sir.

Thre helmet is already starting to take great shape keep up the amazing work

Thanks! It's done! (well halfway done to be technical)

Update:

Sized to the original 290mm height. This has been the longest pep time for me on a helmet, clocking in at 26 hours.
20170129_162352_zpsasfkd67p.jpg

20170129_162507_zpso0jmhejn.jpg

Notice how the pep goes underneath the ear/cheek guard... so hard to pep those parts.
20170129_162616_zps4eajqhyx.jpg

Looks like I found a new night light!
20170129_163111_zpsjufz9cqe.jpg

Next up I plan to do the thighs. I probably won't post many progress photos since pepped armor pieces can get kinda boring. Every time I pep something now I think of CommanderPalmer and how the first post in her build thread was a picture of her whole suit pepped. That takes some serious perseverance. I'm going to try and follow suit and post pictures of multiple pieces done. But, I had to post pictures of this helmet. :) I'll let you know when I have more worth sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to give you guys an update that I have changed my first post around. I have always kept scrupulous notes of my time and materials spent. (I update them as soon as I am done working on the costume for the day.) But, now I will have a color coded diagram of where I am at. I also copy/pasted my bio from the Spartan Service Records thread that is no longer in use (such a shame). And moved my table of contents and helpful links down to my second post.

I will update the links in it soon, but if you notice any other problems just PM me.

Man, smoothing that thing out is going to take awhile. Great pep work nonetheless
It's not going to be easy, but I don't think it will be that bad. I'll start with just the largest surface areas and then spend a little time with as little bondo as I can filling in the detail areas.

SavedbyGraceG12 - You may be right about the 165 degree threshold. I have printed out the thigh with it and it cut the fold lines down by half! It may prove to be more work in bondo, but so far the most painful part of this process is scoring those fold lines. Such a chore.

mblackwell1002 - You were right about the chest being too small! Thank you. I have already pepped and hardened the chest, so when I put it in the program I had no choice but use the dimensions of what I already made. Silly me, I didn't put the number in the right field though. If you check out the image in my first post it is now the correct size. A little bit big imo, but I do have a bit of a belly to hide.

well, I was sorta right...:Dthe new size looks MUCH better.

also, I'm about halfway done with that medkit.
Here's a render for ya':
Halo Reach Medkit render.png

it'll have light fixtures once It's done. also, what size nails or screws would you prefer? I'll model the hanger based on that.

Nice! Could you make the red H and the red square around it recessed down? I know it wouldn't be game accurate, but it would make it easier to paint. Not a lot recessed, jut a tiny bit. As for the screws... I am picturing one of those keyway type deals. Let me see if I can draw it and send it to you.

Thank you! I was planning on one of those key things, too.
as for the red lighting, I'd probably use some reinforced plastic sheeting. you know, the stuff that has the crosshatched wires on it, and let the light shine throughout the sheet.

I took a short break to help out a friend and to get this new HOG section off the ground. Things are wrapping up with that so it is time to get back to me, with great surprise another friend has offered to help me with part of the process. At this point I will take anything I could get, but what he offered is more than I could have asked for. I've been told that I may not have to cut and score any more pages by hand! I'll keep you guys informed how this goes. With all my pep assembled soon I should be in great standing with the weather to complete everything else.

Since my last post, the only thing I have finished (apart from pepping one thigh) is I managed to harden the helmet and get the visor cut out. The top of the helmet heated up tremendously from the resin and made it sag a little, but nothing that can't be fixed by bondo. Here I am with a spartan scowl that hopefully Blackwell will be proud of.

20170303_103533_zpsdaouhd95.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back