Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadlerhalofan

I found this water putty stuff at Menards yesterday. Durham's Water Putty

I want to know if this stuff would make a good alternative to Bondo. I bought a can for a dollar on sale and decided to try it out on the MA5C's ammo clip as a hardener. After all guys Bondo is rather dangerous when you read the label. Durham's looks a little more to my novice standard. Anyway if anyone has used it or tries it out let me know how it goes. I will post more later once I try it.

Thanks. :D

Pros<ul>[*]Can has no cancer warnings.[*]Says that model makers use it.[*]Hardens into a tough substance, perfect for pep work.[*]Cheap, got my can for $1.00 at Menards.[*]Less safety gear seems to be required, although I advise using some anyway.[/list]Cons<ul>[*]I don't know if it eats adhesives like Bondo does.[*]It hardens quickly, although you can add milk to slow it down.[*]I don't know how well you can spray paint it.[*]It comes in powder form. You need to add water yourself.[/list]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jadlerhalofan,
It is an interesting point. Ok I am going to tell you how geeky I am by saying this but I have been into model rail roads HO and N scale for years. We use water putty for riverbed bottoms and scultping rocks etc. It is very hard when dry and sandable.
Here is some quick info about it:
Durham's does not shrink. This is important for hobbyists who want their objects to hold their fine details and shapes. Handymen and crafters find this beneficial when filling holes in wood, plaster, and other materials.
Durham's Putty sticks and stays put. It adheres in oil-free material such as wood, cement, plaster, stone, and composition when completely dry. Embed pebbles, shells, glass, tiles, and other materials in the putty when making mosaics. Add objects to sand sculptures without the worry of having them fall out.
As the name implies, Durham's Putty is rock hard and resistant to scratches. Repairs are also more durable, craft projects are stronger, and art objects don't need firing.
Since it is a powder, Durham's lasts indefinitely when kept sealed in its container. Mix only the quantity you need and eliminate waste!
Finally, this putty can be sawed, chiseled, sanded, polished, molded, painted, varnished, waxed, or colored. Always could be since the 1930s!

ONE WORD OF CAUTION:
Where there is movement, expansion, or contraction -- as between floor boards -- Putty may become loose. Durham's is not intended for load-bearing repairs. Finally, Durham's Putty expands slightly as it dries so it will "stick and stay put." This expansion, however, may also cause Putty to "pop" from a smooth concave surface.

What this means is lets say your helmet flexes. It could come loose. Not saying it will but something to bare in mind.

If I remember correctly Bondo is actually flexable. This way it doesn't com off when the body of the car flexes.

My personal opinion is that water putty should work on small peices where there is no flex. Larger peices like helmet or chest, cod peices really need bondo.

Re: Durham's Putty As Bondo Alternative?

sorry about necro posting, but ive found several references to adding titebond type 2 or type 3 to the durhams to make it waterproof and (from what i have seen reasonably asumeably flexible) but havent found anything on HOW to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back