Ebay ripoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTWHOCKEY

Ok, well I found this on ebay, and long story short, it looks like someone is trying to rip people off, but Im only 99% sure it is what i think. But from what i can tell someone is printing off pepakura helmets and selling the stack of cardstock with the pep helmet templates on it. Its only $12, so its nothing rediculous, but still, pepakura is free! (Almost) All the files are free! Some people who cant download pep because they have a Mac or people who done have a printer might find it usefull, but i dont know...

And if you're not convinced that it's a rippoff, the picture that is used for the item is a pic of the BlueRealm mark vi helmet. It looks to me like the seller is trying to make it look as if he is selling an amazing looking helmet for only $12, while he is really selling a stack of paper. I've seen some people sell assembled pep paper helmets for $30, but that takes time and effort to make. Printing a stack of paper thats almost no skill, and selling it is a ripoff. Buyers beware...

Heres the link to the ebay sale:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Halo-Master...971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2ef3a21b

I have seen this guy before. He is taking FREE pepakura files and printing and selling it? The modelers work very hard to make this stuff and they do for absolutely no charge! i wouldn't be so mad if he were selling them for less. $2.00 seems reasonable.

There's been a similar thing on RPF lately.
IMO selling printed pep isn't the end of the world. He isn't claiming it as his work and he states in the title it's the printed files. Useful for people who don't have a printer etc, the only rip off is the cost. I just spent £1.95 on card stock and a lot less printing some pep for a chief helmet so I can say with certainty only an idiot would pay so much but end of the day all we can do is advise people not to pay it because he isn't claiming at his work. Therefore he's not really doing much wrong other than extorting people.
Not to sympathise with this guy too much coz he is exploiting a gap in the market really

edit -just realized he's selling paper print outs, not files. He's doing a service. Nothing wrong there other than the blue realm helmet pic. Which wasn't made with pepakura

There's been a similar thing on RPF lately.
IMO selling printed pep isn't the end of the world. He isn't claiming it as his work and he states in the title it's the printed files. Useful for people who don't have a printer etc, the only rip off is the cost. I just spent £1.95 on card stock and a lot less printing some pep for a chief helmet so I can say with certainty only an idiot would pay so much but end of the day all we can do is advise people not to pay it because he isn't claiming at his work. Therefore he's not really doing much wrong other than extorting people.
Not to sympathise with this guy too much coz he is exploiting a gap in the market really

True, he isnt claiming credit for any of the files, but what really ticks me off is he's using a pic of the BlueRealm helmet to advertise a stack of paper. Now, THAT is a downright lie.

i found this in CoolC's thread regarding the same seller.
Heres the email he sent claming he made the files.

Why are you leaving me with negative feedback. These are my own made pepakura files not the ones downloaded online. I am reporting you to ebay and opening a case for fraud and also spamming on the eBay community.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let it go. People are always gonna be greedy and try to exploit others - but others will fuel this kinda thing by buying it - it's how the world turns.
Maybe if you wanted to have a go at Pep nut didn't have a printer this would serve a purpose. Other than that, if no-one buys it, he can't make money can he.

If you feel that bad report him to ebay for selling uses other peoples work and selling that free work at a price?

He learned his lesson, and made some edits to the descriptions. Read carefully because he is one of 405th. Like some said let it go.

...and made some edits to the descriptions..

Well then, at lease this thread has done some good. He changed the discription, and he's no longer taking credit for the files. While he's still using the BlueRealm helmet pic, which still makes no sense to me, because it didnt even start from a pepakura base, he did learn his leason, like CoolC said.

Would a mod please lock this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back