Economy Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Everyone.

If I were to say there's hope on the horizon, many of your working folk would likely scoff at the idea. You're not alone. You don't know me. I'm just another member, but I read this post about Adam's perception of an impending layoff. I don't know why that struck a chord with me, but I had a few suggestions that you might want to consider. Again, you don't know me, but advice is the one thing in this world that is free, so here's what I wanted to share with you to ease your anxiety.

1) Consider looking into a reputable headhunter (they call them recruiters now), for contract work. Most contracts go from temp to perm, but the benefit is - because it's contract, you'll likely increase your income very rapidly because the companies that have the money to afford you will not nickel and dime their employees. They want quality - not quanitity. Every local area has zones specifically for recruiters and the perk is that the recruiter will be TOTALLY working for you, because if they don't - they don't get a commission for placing you.

2) Consider going back to school for a masters. If you have a bachelor's, a masters is only two more years, but the benefits will justify the cost. <ul>A) You get to suspend making payments on your student loans (assuming you have them).
B) You're market value grows exponentially with a masters - even if you made the same rate of pay (which you wouldn't), employers want the prestige that comes with the credentials. I hit the higher eschelon of the payrate scale for my line of work (also tech), so I can say this with experience to support my statement. ***Seriously, if you owned a company and two potential candidates came to you - one with a bachelors - one with a masters - both showing equally good work, which would you likely hire? See my point?***
C) An often overlooked perk to having a masters is that it opens the door to teaching at the collegiate level (if you have a bachelors, you can teach K-12, but if you have a masters, the door to teach bachelor seeking college students opens -- If you love your line of work - imagine being in front of a class of people itching to hear what you have to say). If you get in on that level, a plethora of opportunities and benefits open.[/list]3) Consider amping up your resume. We are taught to be really concise. But if you remove ALL of the impressive padding from your resume it will appear TOO humble - AKA Boring. Those of us who are former military are the most guilty of this. There's an art to balancing the boards and the bang of a resume....have your friends give you constructive criticism on this. But the most important thing on your resume isn't YOU, it's what you did for the companies you worked for, because companies won't hire you to be your friend - or because they like you. They hire you because you will provide a service that will support or improve the company. For example: Did your work draw in customers? Did it win a contract over a competitor? Did the company receive any rewards that you could indirectly/directly link back to the fruits of your labor? Did your work make something more efficient, reduce costs, etc.

4) Consider including a portfolio with your resume. Brag a bit more about yourself. It's okay. You are a product too. Think brands. There's really no difference between generic sneakers and Nike's, but if you had the choice, you'd buy the Nike's, right? (Nike's were really big in the late 80's, so plug in something else and my point remains).

It's never easy to be so close to the grinding of the axe, and sometimes - regardless of how wonderful an employee you are, it is beyond your control how the company executes. I would consider these suggestions and be aggressive in finding your safety net or a reputable exit. The WORST thing is to have the credentials of your career marred by a layoff or being fired. Be proactive and embrace the change.

(Oh, and in the tech field, it is standard modus operandum to move roughly every two years for the first ten years of your career in technology - this does not always hold true in other fields (persay medical, legal, etc.)).

Good luck, from someone you don't know, but offers free advice.

Adam, you can always go into the Medical field, more specifically Dental Medicine. Theres always a demand for Dentists, Hygeinests, and Lab Technicians. With a minimum of 2 years of schooling you can make mad money for an easy job. Thats what I'm doin, 2 years to get my A.S. for Dental Hygiene and then i get to make a MINIMUM of $100,000 per year. And all i'll have to do is clean teeth ^^

You know, just as a suggestion in case you do get laid off........

(And workin with teeth and gums is really not as discusting a job as most of you may think)

I'm sorry to hear that Adam...

Things are not to peachy for me either. The big wigs in my company has decided to move all graphic artist to corporate Advertising to save money because of the economy. This move has stripped me of my Art Director position and my co-worker of her Web master position, starting at the beginning of the year. They decided that the magazine I work for no longer needs a production team.

Just hang in there buddy. I hope everything works out for ya.

hey adam, really sorry to hear that man. it really scares me that this is the world i am growing up in, i am a year and a half from college and then provided i can afford it, 5 years later i am probably gonna be working, if i can find a job at that point. best of luck though, hope things work out for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back