Elder Scrolls Dwemer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkm2021

I'm pretty sure that most people here have played Oblivion, and I'm fairly confident that I'm not the only one who has played Morrowind, I know this is a Halo based community, but c'mon TES series is AWESOME!

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD (for Morrowind game)

The game series takes place in a world called Nirn, there are few continents, one of which is Tamriel, the continent that the games take place in. Tamriel is split into several provinces, one of which is Morrowind, I think you can see where the game got its name.

Morrowind, the game before Oblivion, was an immense world full of mystery, and one of the mysteries in that world (which is Vvardenfell, an island in the provence of Morrowind) is the Dwemer (dway-mer) race, which (according to lore) vanished into thin air. There are about 4 possibilities as to what happened, but after reading and re-reading through this I find that they're all impossible, as there is one Dwemer left.

here are the three theoretic possibilities that they have, for those who don't feel like looking through all of that (yes I did say 4 above, this is missing one)

Possibility A: The tools worked. Kagrenac successfully used his tools, and possibly The Calling, to take his race and remove them from Mundus, the Mortal Plane. He either turned them into Deities or simply allowed them to move freely in the Outer Realms.

This is possible, but unlikely. If it had happened, then Vivec, who is a God himself, probably wouldn't have said that "I have no sense of them in the timeless divine world outside of mortal time". In addition, for reasons discussed below, I believe that certain Et'Ada would never have allowed the Dwemer to carry out this act of arrogance. Finally, one might think that if the Dwemer had become Gods, we would have heard more about it.

Possibility B: The tools failed. Kagrenac foolishly de-created his race and erased them from Nirn. They were either destroyed entirely or were transfered to somewhere outside of Nirn and died.

This is more likely. The book "The Egg of Time" seems to indicate that there was a debate going on. The book argues that it is safe to tap the power of the Heart, and that the Dwemer who believed that it was a great risk were incorrect. I believe that this kind of "debate" wouldn't have been revealed to us unless tampering with the Heart actually was dangerous, and that something terrible very well may have happened if Kagrenac had tried to use the tools on it. Also, there exists an article entitled Sermon Zero of the Thirty-and-Six-and-Nine Sermons, which was given to us by Jobasha on the official forums. It is highly confusing and likely not considered an official document, but it contains three secret messages which can be deciphered from the text. One of them reads "To the Dwemer and Oblivion belong this treasure and they are there dead".

Possibility C: Kagrenac had no chance to actually use the tools. The split second that he did, Daedra Prince Azura snatched him and all of the other Dwemer from Nirn, and imprisoned them in Oblivion. Alternatively, he did use the tools, but as soon as his race was removed from Mundus, Azura imprisoned them in Oblivion. Or he died before he had the chance, and Azura instructed Nerevar to use the tools to destroy the Dwemer enchantment upon the Heart, making them instantly disappear. Either way, Azura put them in Oblivion and there they may or may not have died.

This, in my opinion, is the most likely of all of the possibilities. As has been discussed elsewhere, the Dwemer doubted the power of the Et'Ada and did not venerate them as the other races did. One specific example of this directly involves Azura- the account contained in Azura and the Box. And one cannot forget the very idea of Numidium, The Brass God. The construct which, according to Divine Metaphysics, was a new God constructed from the power of a "Dead" God, Lorkhan. This is blasphemy in the highest sense of the word, and according to several accounts, Azura did not want it completed.

how can an entire race go extinct but one of them still remains?
it doesn't make sense does it? :rolleyes

this is a question I would greatly like to ask the TES community, but the website is blocked here, so I'll see if anyone here knows their Elder Scrolls lore.

Can anybody definitively tell me what happened to the Dwemer?
And if you haven't played Morrowind and you like RPGs, I suggest you give it a try (it has its flaws but it's a great game overall)

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds a lot like the "great journey" that the covies talk about, or maybe they ascended like the ancients from stargate. I've never played marrowind, I had it for a while when I had my old xbox, but it never worked.

I've played through both TES3 and TES4. I ran into the dwemer in TES3 a few times. When I interacted with him as a Dunmer (dark elf) his attitude toward me was very hostile, while as any other race, he was more normal. I believe that the Dunmer race had something to do with their disappearance. I seem to remember hearing something that supported this, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where.

carpathiavh99 said:
I've played through both TES3 and TES4. I ran into the dwemer in TES3 a few times. When I interacted with him as a Dunmer (dark elf) his attitude toward me was very hostile, while as any other race, he was more normal. I believe that the Dunmer race had something to do with their disappearance. I seem to remember hearing something that supported this, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where.

well there WAS a war, although I can't remember whether the Dunmer had part in that war or not

EDIT_
this quote might explain the tension between the Dunmer and Dwemer, although a majority of the Dwemer are not around to hate the Dunmer, the last one alive (I can't remember his name) is still here, and he hates you very much :D

I must point out that this is a person's theory based on legend.
"according" to the legend, the Dunmer originated from the Dwemer. They WERE once also known as Dwemer. The giants thought they were small people, and so called them Dwarves (just as we call short people midgets and dwarves). After many many generations perhaps, the name Dwarf, or the translation "Dwemer", finally just became the tag. I am not saying that the labeled Dunmer accepted the name, they may have just tolerated it. I mean afterall, to them it just meant "a short person". Remember, they have/had no concept of the D&D Dwarves, so would not think of themselves as being compared to them. It also doesnt make them a different race. They were by no means a different race. This was many many years before the Empire was even a thought, so the Houses didnt even exist back then either. The Dunmer operaterd their race through a network of tribes. When the Dwemer was heard about by other Dunmer tribes, they were considered as another tribe. But, for reasons perhaps unknown (hehehe) to many, this tribe was not accepted by other Dunmer tribes. Many things would occur in the years following the creation of the Dwemer, right up until the disappearance."

Im a hardcore Morrowind fan. From all my research and game experiance I would infer that the Tribunal banished the Dwemer for attempting to create their own animunculi god and for rejecting the power of the Tribunal as gods. On the island of Vvardenfel there is little evidence of their actual dissapearance, but in Mournhold City in the Dwemer ruins under the city ashes of the Dwemer remain as an eerie clue to the method of their dissapearance. The only explination I can think of for the one remaining Dwemer is his corprus infection causing the Tribunal to overlook him.

Dwemer also means deep elf, not short person.

Ah man that takes me back to a better time in my life lol. I remember taking reading a book near by the last dwemer and accidentally took it and well he attacked me so I killed him and then they were totally extint lol good times good times. As for your question I woundered about it but was too lazy to do all the reading so I never fully looked into it lol. But it was a great game and I miss it a lot.

I pose a question to any other Elder Scrolls fans... Anyone know if they're working on anymore or planning on coming out with anymore in the future? I know Bethesta was behind fallout 3 but hadn't heard if there were anymore elder scrolls planned for after it...

Wrathchild said:
I pose a question to any other Elder Scrolls fans... Anyone know if they're working on anymore or planning on coming out with anymore in the future? I know Bethesta was behind fallout 3 but hadn't heard if there were anymore elder scrolls planned for after it...

It'd be stupid not to release another one, and on their official website one of their admins set up suggestion threads for TESV, so I think they do have plans

I personally think the next game should take place in either Black Marsh or Velenwood.

Black Mark would have alot of conflict between slavers and Argonians and I would love to see how amazing the forests would be all High Def and such in Valenwood:lol: .

a1200 said:
Dwemer also means deep elf, not short person.
it can actually go either way as demonstrated by this quote

imperial library said:
Dwemer is the real (Elven) name for the Dwarves. It is pronounced: DWAY-mare. Some translations are "Short Folk", "Smart Folk" and, what is probably the best translation, "Deep Folk". Probably "Deep" as in "intelligent and multi-levelled" as opposed to a reference to some kind of physical depth.

but your explanation seems to make the most sense, his disease would make him appear (to the gods) to be just like any other infected race, allowing him to survive

It makes sense, but I just wish I could find more remaining Dwemer in the next TES game, they were mostly in Morrowind but I do remember reading about a certain tribe moving over to another province, but from what I read I think they too were destroyed.

They do have plans for a new game, and might go multiplayer with it. YAY. I think thw Dwemer are one of the most interesting topics from Morrowind, but Id have to say the thing id like to see in the next game is an expansion on Werewolfs.

they are planning a TESV, but they are trying to cover up most of it, but some of the admins PMed me telling me that there was one in production

anyway, the answer I got from the Bethsoft forums was that he was in another dimension when the events took place, sparing him, and that the Corpus disease wasn't even around during the time.

while this does make sense, and it answers my question, it still doesn't explain what happened to the dwemer, were they turned into deities or were they destroyed?

I personally think they should include dwemer in TESV with the "they became gods" outcome, but then all the fun of trying to figure out what happened would be gone.

What about the Ayleids?

I have played the hell out of Oblivion but have found little about them ( I have read a few books but not many).

BTW: Speaking of books, I would highly recommend "The Black Arrow" series. It is in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

I loved this game, I always found progression to be slow and time consuming but it was enjoyable. For your theories, didn't Nerevar lead an army of Dunmer against the Dwemer before their Artificial "God" was completed? Would it not be better to be said that the Tribunal after imbuing themselves with power from the heart removed them from all creation? It does not appear to be out of their scope of ability. You know and leave only one Dwemer to live and work the Wraithguard once the prophecy was passed. It does not seem like Vivec and co are not above lying and manipulating those they consider beneath them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back