Elecronic target for Boomco blasters

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by Masky, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Masky

Masky RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I had the idea to build a target for kids (and adults) to shoot on the 405th booth we have for the european regiment on some cons. This could be a really fun interactive prop if I manage to do it right.
    The basic idea is to make it look like one of those:

I plan to put in electronics to keep score and indicate when a target is hit, the targets will be the circles that light up in the video. I will cut them out and put either microswitches or vibration sensors behind them. Once a target is hit leds are supposed to light up behind it. Kids are supposed to have a fixed time to shoot and the final score should be displayed after that timer runs out.

The whole thing is supposed to be finished in roughly a month as I plan to bring it to a con there.

Ivyyy, SI3RRA 117, xXDashIVXx and 3 others like this.
  2. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

You could totally find a way to incorporate that same idea in an armor build, and have a halo laser-tag!

Dirtdives likes this.
  3. Masky

Once the electronics and code are done I see no problem with that :)

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  4. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

5. Masky

I'll keep that in mind for the future! While games like that are harder in armor (did it with nerf already) it sounds like fun to try it

Dirtdives and GMer56 like this.
  6. serenko3

serenko3 RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Masky you have been doing alot of great work lately. I may have to borrow some of your ideas.

Dirtdives and TheCostumeGeek like this.
  7. Masky

Today I took a screenshot of the brute and converted it to a useable picture with Gimp and Inkscape.
    screenshot-2019.01.24-00.42.44.jpg
    brute.png

8. AugmentedHuman013

AugmentedHuman013 RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I hope you dont mind I might be interested in doing something like this were doing a boomco interactive in the southern regiment

xXDashIVXx likes this.
  9. Masky

Not at all! I plan to upload my 3d models and code here anyways :)

Got to printing the template and will start the mechanical build tomorrow.
    d863ab57-0f21-40e0-887d-4b607e1aff20.png

10. AugmentedHuman013

Thats looks giant compared in game but cant wait to see what you do

11. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

I'd say that the brute here is no bigger than 5 foot. In game, the ones are much bigger as they are larger than the spartan and your spartan is a hulking beast. I'd say this is small CD

It looks great and I cant wait to see how it ends up!

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  12. AugmentedHuman013

The angle of the picture of the papers just make it look huge. It does look great no offense given the target in game when compared to chiefs POV I guess the target total hieght in game is about 7ft. In my opinion.

But that's what's amazing about our community people run with there ideas and it all looks spectacular

13. Masky

Those are all A4 sheets. the total size of the target will be 180x85cm. In the game those are way bigger than a spartan, even the brute alone but this needs to be transportable. I split it in two plates of 90x85cm. Today I got to shaping and painting a bit. Tomorrow I'll add the brute, raised frame and the holes for the targets.
    ae9c0ed6-a599-4e6b-8d22-16b6a59c8f5c.jpg 3f3e329c-f8e6-457c-a3e2-0b981c7058d0.jpg

Dirtdives, xXDashIVXx and Sean Anwalt like this.
  14. Masky

While I did not get as far as I wanted this weekend I managed to at least get the Brute on the boards and most frame parts cut and painted. Should be able to finish it next weekend.
    IMG_20190210_165301_044.jpg IMG_20190210_180719_446.jpg

15. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Cool.

That looks really good, man, can't wait to see it finished!

Dirtdives likes this.
  16. Masky

Frame completed and made holes for the targets. I decided to put it on a wall to get a feeling of how it will be in the end. It starts to look like something :)
    To do: make a connecting part for the halves, make a stand, 3D print targets, electronics and coding.

IMG_20190212_164412_513.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  17. Masky

Started the work on the targets. Did some CAD and printed a few parts. Those parts will be mounted directly on the wood behind the holes. The microswitch and plate will sit in a way where the plate can't swing forward and movement backward will activate the switch, there should be no play. the flaps are to mount leds.

fgdhjh.JPG
    IMG_20190215_192003_107.jpg IMG_20190215_192034_944.jpg

Dirtdives, xXDashIVXx and Sean Anwalt like this.
  18. Masky

Today I managed to make this bad boy stand free. Its pretty stable with just the back legs so I'll probably keep it this way. It folds nicely to make transport easier. Tomorrow I'll tackle electronics.
    IMG_20190216_201903_917.jpg IMG_20190216_201851_608.jpg IMG_20190216_202008_492.jpg

Dirtdives and xXDashIVXx like this.
  19. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117 Well-Known Member

Will the foam bullets have enough velocity to actually move the pad enough to activate the switch? Have you tested her out yet?

20. ReClaimer8015

ReClaimer8015 Member

That`s a cool idea! Kids will love it for sure!
    Your work looks neat, some audio features would make it even better though!
    Imagine a Brute roar or an Elite`s typical "Wort, Wort, Wort!" as an indicator for a critical hit.
    You can improve from con to con until you have a broad range of Covies to shoot at....

Maybe i`ll get to see it, depending on where you take it this year.

xXDashIVXx and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  21. Masky

not yet since I don't own any boomco blasters/ don't know how hard they shoot. I need to rely on my regiment to bring some to cons :) . Stock Nerf should be more than enough tho. I use small microswitches like the ones used in 3d printers. They don't need that much force. If I manage to get it all wired up tomorrow I'll test it with some nerfs.

I hope the kids like it :) I'm not familiar with soundchips but It can be upgraded since I'll do all with an arduino nano. I plan a big score display or something as well for the future. It will be mostly used in the german speaking area and maybe the Netherlands.

22. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

My brother has been using this soundchip for a project, he's found them easy to use and he's just getting into electronics. Probably have to wire in bigger buttons but still...

23. Masky

sadly they don't seem to deliver this to Germany. I found the DFPlayer Mini while looking on the page tho and that seems to work for me. I' look into adding it in the future :)

Dirtdives and GMer56 like this.
  24. Masky

Wiring is done! I just slapped some basic code on it so ot glows, the functions will be added tomorrow. I'm really happy with how this turns out.

IMG-20190217-WA0013.jpeg IMG_20190217_200457_381.jpg

25. TheCostumeGeek

TheCostumeGeek RCO 405th Regiment Officer

I already said this to you, but I can't say it more often.
    This built is more that amzing. I can't wait to see it this weekend and
    I am sure the Con visitors and Kiddos will love it so much.

Amazing work right there :)

Dirtdives likes this.