Electricity Saftey Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventchildmatrix

I'm doing a physics unit at college and the assignment is mostly on electrical saftey. My teacher has set us the task of making a video about electrical saftey. we have been given free rain of what we can do and it can be as stupid and randomn as we like as long as it has the relevent information.

this is the breif:

'Produce a short video detailing the health and saftey aspects of alternating current and direct current. your video should include effects of AC and DC upon the body as well as a look into how organisations maintain health and saftey in relation to electrical hazards. Operation of the residual current circuit breaker and the earth leakage circuit breaker should be detailed with diagrams and annotations.'

I am not asking for people to do this for me but i am asking for people who will be willing to create clips for the video based on a script of what to say. i am also looking for suggestions of what to put it to make this funny.

anyone who is willing to be filmed in costume would be even better.

much thanks to anyone willing to help.

this video will be posted on youtube after i have submitted this for my coursework.

ac current great for launching yourself across the room and stopping your heart if you aren't carefully and read directions and make sure everything is covered.. take an electricians course to do it right...

dc current.. if you have alot of it... you could a. under small watts can mildly shock yourself and freak out. b. large amount of current you will either be thrown across the room or your hands will be electronically melded to the casing... either way not fun...

all in all... always use tape or heat shring asell as proper tools to work on electrical circuit... also you better know what your doing and dont let wires touch and make sure their is no bare wires anywhere... and never ever touch anyone when they are getting shocked.... it will travel to your body too...

on another not if your in physics are you working on small electrical circuits or large ones.. if any at all?

CommanderFluffy said:
ac current great for launching yourself across the room and stopping your heart if you aren't carefully and read directions and make sure everything is covered.. take an electricians course to do it right...

dc current.. if you have alot of it... you could a. under small watts can mildly shock yourself and freak out. b. large amount of current you will either be thrown across the room or your hands will be electronically melded to the casing... either way not fun...

all in all... always use tape or heat shring asell as proper tools to work on electrical circuit... also you better know what your doing and dont let wires touch and make sure their is no bare wires anywhere... and never ever touch anyone when they are getting shocked.... it will travel to your body too...

on another not if your in physics are you working on small electrical circuits or large ones.. if any at all?

unfortunatly the unit im doing is entirly theoretical which sucks. the unit which i need to do to get onto an electrical engineering course the teachers have desided it's not worth doing because it's entirly practicle based.

at least i can spend what little free time i have doing electrical work

Last edited by a moderator:
particle atom and all the other junk... hell why bother. electricity and people who work on that don't care they just care about wire gauge and how much juice they can pump into it. trust me no one thinks about particles when they work on electrical.

but then again... theoretical work.. in large scale theories is fun... once one of my elctrical engineering courses we spent a month haveing theory debates. one that amused me the most was how much power and what power consuptions would be used if a star trek spaceship was designed and built.. of coruse the whole class ended up designing random peices of the ships they wanted to prove points of their own... and we had a rediculus power outage from some source... something like...10 million terra volts... something along those lines.

anyways.. i lost my train of thought...

ok

im looking for a willing victim ah i mean happy volunteer for the first part of the video.

The first clip is on how circuit breakers work.

i need two people, an old broken toaster, and a bath tub full of water.

one person needs to be the camera person and the other one some one who is willing to sit in the tub of water (you can wear clothes)

(man this sounds like a dodgy version of the A-Team)

After a little bit of talking the person will knock the toaster into the tub (It will NOT be plugged in) and the other person will turn of the lights as if the circuit breaker has gone off.

The next clip im hoping for someone wearing their armour to read from a script on how a circuit breaker works.

please let me know if your interested in taking part as i have till the 28th of feb to put this together and this would be more fun with people from the 405th taking part.

Thx in advance if anyone is willing to take part.

I believe something like this was done on Mythbusters, where they were dropping objects like toasters, blow dryers, a television and I don't know what else they dropped into the water but either none of the items would give enough voltage to kill a person or the circuit would shut off and nothing would happen at all.

electrocution.jpg

Just don't do this.

Nintendude said:
I believe something like this was done on Mythbusters, where they were dropping objects like toasters, blow dryers, a television and I don't know what else they dropped into the water but either none of the items would give enough voltage to kill a person or the circuit would shut off and nothing would happen at all.

The Hairdryer would fry you in less than a second if I remember correctly, but you wouldn't be able to see anything happen like in the movies. I think you're right about the other ones though. Random fact: In Florida you can be fined if you happen to kill yourself by electrocution by an appliance in the bathtub. I'm still trying to figure out how that works...

I zapped myself at my machine shop. We had just moved to a new building and we have 3 phase 220 iirc, and the oil pump was spinning the wrong way. So being 3 phase all I had to do was swap 2 poles. Now, our vertical mills plug into a cord that hangs from the ceiling. Stupid design, and my boss was an idiot for doing it that way, but thats how it is. Anyway, so I was just working away, and I made a mistake and went to swap poles on the cord hanging from the ceiling instead of on the machine side. Whoops. Did I mention I was also standing on a ladder? Well, I was. I musta made a connection somewhere while swapping the poles and I got thrown off the ladder. I just kinda layed on the floor and just mumbled profanity for a few minutes. Finger tips were kinda fuzzy feeling and tingly. Im still alive though.

So is anyone at least going to stand infront of a camera in their armour

doesn't have to me mjolnir

and talk for a minute or two?

Plz can someone do this as i want something unique in my video that the rest of the group won't have

+ it will be funny

CommanderFluffy said:

- 29 mA+ will kill you

- More common to get flash burns than being thrown across a room (although still can occur with damaged GPO's)

- Electricity does not stop your heart, it causes a muscle spasm (Irregular heartbeat)

- Residual current devices protect people and equipment

- Circuit breakers protect equipment not people

- extra low voltage, low voltage and high voltage need not be forgotten

- fault current

- check the checker

- step voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back