EOD Build & Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

This is just pep. They're being handed off locally to be bondo'd, etc and eventually molded.

shoulder:
2303993090_dec941e0d7_m.jpg

helm:
2303190967_60fdafcd1a_m.jpg2303192601_4a49647eb7_m.jpg2303191791_5fb1f3ae93_m.jpg
had no idea the camera took audio.

helm-
Supertaco's improved file is sweet. I'll have it on the wiki in a bit. It's actually symmetrical, and doesn't include the unnecessary bits, simplifies parts, etc.. but some things could probably be improved still. It's good.

shoulder-
Kind of a bitch to get it to close up properly. Don't like that it's not just one side- at least an open rectangle in the back would make it much easier. OK, I guess.

I finally got the super glue dialed in- went through several different brands before trying the first one I'd used, Krazy Glue. Super Glue Gel took too long to set. Regular Super Glue just wicked into the paper and didn't bond adjacent pieces.
I wasted about 4 hours pinning tabs together with clothespins and super glue gel.. once I got the krazy glue I finished the helm in about 40 minutes.
The shoulder took about an hour and a half, from printed to finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know since you are local and all. If you need a hand with that molding stuff I would be more than willing to give you a hand where you need. I have a buddy of mine who is also a member of Cobra Cares 21st Infantry who lives in town. I told him what I started working on and I know he would my talking with you a bit to learn.

Your work on the EOD helmet is great and it looks like SuperTaco's work in making the PDO file is superior. I can't wait to start working on this one. First thins first and one step at a time. Drop me a PM when you can.

isnt the qoute you put in the topic title from "fight club"?
The quote is reference to the helmet acronym EOD, Explosive Ordinance Disposal. Nice helmet Vrogy :)

crackhead09 said:
isnt the qoute you put in the topic title from "fight club"?

SGT V said:
The quote is from Conan the Barbarian.
...which was first spoken by Genghis Khan. :lol:

Anyway, back to topic. I'm looking forward to see more progress on this helmet since only a very few are working on it.

Vrogy said:
This is just pep. They're being handed off locally to be bondo'd, etc and eventually molded.

So your not doing the bondo or fiberglassing? Are you molding or will that be handed off too?

Nice job BTW. Very clean.

DoC ByTeS said:
So your not doing the bondo or fiberglassing? Are you molding or will that be handed off too?

Nice job BTW. Very clean.

I might do some pulls in the future if the finishing work turns out well. *shrug*
We'll see, I think it'll be pretty good.

Vrogy said:
I might do some pulls in the future if the finishing work turns out well. *shrug*
We'll see, I think it'll be pretty good.

If you ever start on that molding process let me know I will lend my pair of hands and safety equipment to aide you. I only wish everyone from the boards could get together and work for a weekend or two. Would be awesome if it where possible.

fightstar said:
If you ever start on that molding process let me know I will lend my pair of hands and safety equipment to aide you. I only wish everyone from the boards could get together and work for a weekend or two. Would be awesome if it where possible.
Well, it's certainly possible for The Rob, tubachris, you, and I! The last update I got we were still around the fiberglasing stage, though, not really far enough for Tallahassee armoring parties quite yet :)

Vrogy said:
Well, it's certainly possible for The Rob, tubachris, you, and I! The last update I got we were still around the fiberglasing stage, though, not really far enough for Tallahassee armoring parties quite yet :)

No problem. Still we have to get up together. Coffee and/or pizza on me. I'll just continue with Pepakura until then. Oh fun!

fight club.....I love that movie.
Great job on the Helmet, Just one question.
Why didnt you use the syflo one? Its way more detailed, but its....got....more...pieces....

It actually isnt too hard, just annoying.

rvb4life said:
Why didnt you use the syflo one? Its way more detailed, but its....got....more...pieces....

Take a close look at both of them. I think the Slyfo one has more polygons, but not more detail, if that makes sense.
For instance, some faces are make with some very low-angle joints between different pieces, which is totally unnecessary- look at the outer mutton chop to see what I mean.
Also, the eyes are completely unnecessary.. they'll be covered with lenses in the end!
Another thing that peeves me about most pep files I see is that the shape of the part, the underlying model, will be symmetrical, but for some reason the paper won't. That doesn't make sense.

Oh, and yes, it was 10 vs. 16 pages.

the shape of the part, the underlying model, will be symmetrical, but for some reason the paper won't. That doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that can be annoying, all my helmet files are symmetrical but, when it comes to unfolding them, you set pepakura to select symmetrical edges, select all the open edges, but pepakura will always ignore you on at least a few parts, Belakors recon unfold is so far the nicest one Ive folded, all the parts are identical so it makes finding parts take half the time. One day Im going to try to convince my brother to help me write a better version of pep , there are some things that could be handled better I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back