Ethical implications in editing/reposting 3D models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuts4Accuracy

Hey all, I've spent some time editing a Low Poly Halo 2 Anniversary ODST model I found online to be 3D printable (and slightly more accurate+HD) and intended to cosplay in it in the future, but lack the enthusiasm nowadays. I was thinking of posting some of the files since it's near finished but then discovered the original source material was actually a commissioned piece by someone else (AbiSV) and I'm not sure if the model was even intended to be used for this purpose.

Should I hold the refrain from re-posting the model?

Model in question below:

1617017955279.png

Good on ya for checking before uploading. The first thing I would check is to see if there is details about Creative Commons from where you got it from. If so, check it against this site to see what it allows and restrains you from doing:

If there's nothing there, or no other statements about what you can/can't do with the work, your best bet is to contact the commissioner directly.

Glad that you're asking for guidance and not just posting it out there. Always check the licenses first when altering and potentially sharing out to the public. If you can't find that license (and perhaps if you want to be certain) try to find and reach out to the original modeler and ask for permission. If you can't find the license and can't get ahold of (or get no response from) the creator, don't share it.

1617021305190.png

I sincerely want want to thank you for taking the time to ask about this issue.

As the others have said, I would absolutely NOT post the file for download until you can get a clear confirmation on its origins and permission from the commissioner and modeler if it was a commissioned piece. Even leaving out any Creative Commons License issue, it is just the decent, community driven, thing to do to make sure you have permission before distributing another person's work.

I have worked directly with ABiSV on past projects so it's a huge thank you from me for even taking the time and consideration to post its questionability here on the forum. This is a prevalent issue I see often, of people's work being offered. I have a commission that was meant to be exclusive that I worry about often it leaking out into the free world. Anytime I get a chance when I see a similar offering I check the finer details to make sure it's not the same one I paid for having modeled. I would reach out to ABiSV on Twitter and speak directly to them about this item. I would divulge to them where you were able to obtain this as well. It may be it was meant to be shared or not. Never know until you discuss with the creator/artist.

This is the kind of integrity I love seeing in the group.

Good on ya partner.
Thanks.

I was a long time lurker on theRPF before i joined the 405th, so the "recasting" ethics debate is really stuck in my head. Just didn't want to re-post what was probably stolen art.

Anyways, after some consideration, I've decided not to post the model.

But it's interesting to see everyones stance on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back