Evangelion Armor. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI Blue Fox

guess who's back, back again...

Anyway, I have been debating lately, and I think it would be in my best interest to make the EVA 01 suit from the revived Evangelion movies, the third of which is rumored to come out in the fall. I have only seen one other thread which helped lead me to one persons project on youtube but they didn't do a very good job at describing the process which was the whole point of their videos. If anyone has anything they think would be useful as well as others who have comments about this idea you would like to voice, that would be great.

Evangelion (EVA) 01:
eva01.jpg

Strange, would have thought someone would have at least posted something. I really thought this would get more attention. Maybe if I just drop this here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the hardest part would be getting the proportions right. The Eva units tend to have rather long limbs and skinny bodies. As for making the armor I think a very thin craft foam would be best for the main covering over the arms and legs with hard armor or reinforced foam for the outcroppings. The main body could probably be done with hard armor, but reinforced foam might be a better way to go.

I would say that the hardest part would be getting the proportions right. The Eva units tend to have rather long limbs and skinny bodies. As for making the armor I think a very thin craft foam would be best for the main covering over the arms and legs with hard armor or reinforced foam for the outcroppings. The main body could probably be done with hard armor, but reinforced foam might be a better way to go.

Well that is the thing, I plan on making the chest shoulders and helmet slightly large so that my body seems more slim then it normally would.

have you thought about wonderflex? Apparently its a pretty popular medium around other costume websites like cosplay.com. It supposed to be heat form-able and comes pretty thin.

http://acosplay.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/material-monday-wonderflex/

I do plan on doing the foam route but I'm not sure about wonderflex. I think I plan to go with the route Goldy did in his tutorilas, he even made a video about how to do the foam and vinyl:

Main dilema keeping me from starting is getting those carboard templates. I already messaged him about it but no response as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some quite extensive searching, but can't seem to find any Evangelion pepakura files. If you now of any, please drop a link here. I guess I'm gonna have to get down and dirty and do this all myself unless anyone knows of any other tutorials other then the ones Goldy did.

Yeah your gonna have to make your own files or freehand it.. believe me, ive searched high and low over hells half acre for EVA files. That being said the hardest part about this is getting it to look right. Eva's aren't too far off human physiology but everything is longer, arms legs and torso are all much taller and longer than a normal human. I think your best bet is to make the Type F armor as it bulks the EVA up.

The only problem with the Type F armor is it is WAY more complicated and bulkier then the test type. I think doing the foam route but using the skin tight method used in Goldy's tutorials might be the best bet. I have a fairly good idea on how to get the proportions looking realistic. My main goal is to get it to look as close as possible to unit 01 from Evangelion: 2.22

Well that isn't a problem for skinny dudes. hell i look like that now

I would love to see this! NGE is one of my all-time favorite anime. Done right, this costume could a be an awe-inspiring build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back